Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100989 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #960 on: April 24, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »

Rather obsolete, but honestly, if we're talking space airships, I love the style of picking a word from the mid-19th century that would have been perfectly in place in something by Verne or Burroughs.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:02 pm »

Precisely - it's the combination of 19th-century style, classical education, and willful obscurity that makes me like it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 25, 2016, 01:31:55 am »

And, of course, the fight that you can't admit being wrong. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 25, 2016, 01:57:42 am »

That's sort of what I was thinking. It's cool, but it also drastically increases the chance of damaging something* and increases the time it takes to turn around a returning fighter for a second launch. Drop-launching definitely has merit, though.

Actually, an anti-ballast system might be interesting. Carry high-pressure oxygen/nitrogen tanks (which double as life support). On landing, kill your velocity and use the tanks to inflate balloons such that the aircraft has a net slight downward drift due to gravity, soft-land like that. Still the same problem with winds, though, and the added concern that they couldn't be reset after a botched landing. Maybe a different system where the volume of atmosphere in the landing envelopes is enough to lift slightly higher than standard colony/ship altitude, and float the fighter up into a hanger with downward-facing doors.
The winds aren't too bad, if I remember right. That high up, they're usually fairly predictable outside of storms. It will always be a concern of course, but since both the airship and the carried plane will be affected, it isn't quite as bad as it could be. Cross-sectional density differences would be the main problem there, I suspect; you might have to turn the carrier a specific direction relative to the wind, and land from a specific direction as well, but I believe that's done as it is anyway.

Subaerocraft or however you would call them would be fairly interesting. Dive into the thicker atmosphere, can afford to be a bit heavier since the lift force will be more efficient, harder to spot what with the ridiculous amount of clouds Venus has. Which is really probably the best justification you can have for short-range combat in a sci-fi environment; hard to get a good radar or GPS lock when half the sky's covered by sulfuric acid.

Still think individual suits would be cool for boarding, but full aircraft would probably help with intercepting, scouting, and so on.

I hate to take it away from weapons, but do you guys think the temperature gradient in the atmosphere would be able to be used with massively tall power plants? I'm almost certain it wouldn't be very practical for use in powering airships, but if we got automated mines or the like set up on the surface to get materials, and used the towers for transport upwards as well as power? If you had equal pressures inside and out, it wouldn't be too bad, after all...

On yet another note, how would defenses adapt to these weapons, on both sides? I have a feeling electronic warfare will be very important.

Might actually lead to intentionally slow aircraft--even with modern instrumentation the visual up-down orientation out the cockpit window with a view on the ground or the top of the upper layer of clouds is still important, at least mentally. Combine that with short effective detection ranges and heavy obscuring clouds and you might not want high-speed fighters so much as high-maneuverability ones. I can definitely see it resulting in a return to old-school energy fighting and circle-turning meshed with ambush tactics, where SRAAMs would be on the outer edge of effective range (if that) and MRAAMs & LRAAMs would only exist, if at all, for alpha strikes against colonies with known stationary positions.

Regarding the individual suits: what about boarding rams? Obviously suits as well, but with a spiked shuttle as the delivery vector for infantry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 25, 2016, 09:23:21 am »

I guess it's the same root that makes us say 'Martian' instead of 'Marsian'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 25, 2016, 10:23:16 am »

Mars, Martis - precisely!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 25, 2016, 08:38:15 pm »

That's sort of what I was thinking. It's cool, but it also drastically increases the chance of damaging something* and increases the time it takes to turn around a returning fighter for a second launch. Drop-launching definitely has merit, though.

Actually, an anti-ballast system might be interesting. Carry high-pressure oxygen/nitrogen tanks (which double as life support). On landing, kill your velocity and use the tanks to inflate balloons such that the aircraft has a net slight downward drift due to gravity, soft-land like that. Still the same problem with winds, though, and the added concern that they couldn't be reset after a botched landing. Maybe a different system where the volume of atmosphere in the landing envelopes is enough to lift slightly higher than standard colony/ship altitude, and float the fighter up into a hanger with downward-facing doors.
The winds aren't too bad, if I remember right. That high up, they're usually fairly predictable outside of storms. It will always be a concern of course, but since both the airship and the carried plane will be affected, it isn't quite as bad as it could be. Cross-sectional density differences would be the main problem there, I suspect; you might have to turn the carrier a specific direction relative to the wind, and land from a specific direction as well, but I believe that's done as it is anyway.

Subaerocraft or however you would call them would be fairly interesting. Dive into the thicker atmosphere, can afford to be a bit heavier since the lift force will be more efficient, harder to spot what with the ridiculous amount of clouds Venus has. Which is really probably the best justification you can have for short-range combat in a sci-fi environment; hard to get a good radar or GPS lock when half the sky's covered by sulfuric acid.

Still think individual suits would be cool for boarding, but full aircraft would probably help with intercepting, scouting, and so on.

I hate to take it away from weapons, but do you guys think the temperature gradient in the atmosphere would be able to be used with massively tall power plants? I'm almost certain it wouldn't be very practical for use in powering airships, but if we got automated mines or the like set up on the surface to get materials, and used the towers for transport upwards as well as power? If you had equal pressures inside and out, it wouldn't be too bad, after all...

On yet another note, how would defenses adapt to these weapons, on both sides? I have a feeling electronic warfare will be very important.

Might actually lead to intentionally slow aircraft--even with modern instrumentation the visual up-down orientation out the cockpit window with a view on the ground or the top of the upper layer of clouds is still important, at least mentally. Combine that with short effective detection ranges and heavy obscuring clouds and you might not want high-speed fighters so much as high-maneuverability ones. I can definitely see it resulting in a return to old-school energy fighting and circle-turning meshed with ambush tactics, where SRAAMs would be on the outer edge of effective range (if that) and MRAAMs & LRAAMs would only exist, if at all, for alpha strikes against colonies with known stationary positions.

Regarding the individual suits: what about boarding rams? Obviously suits as well, but with a spiked shuttle as the delivery vector for infantry.

You don't even need a spike shuttle; make it in the shape of a bullet, scaled up many thousands of times and probably slightly enlongated. Fill with people, strap in and prepare for heavy Gs; you're about to be launched at a large enemy vessel. Of course, you'd need a way to exit quickly and escape if you miss, but you could always just be sure you won't miss. This also does a large amount of damage on the way in, and you could mix in some explosive rounds with the shuttles, so that if you start shooting at the shuttles you might just blow yourself up.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 25, 2016, 08:47:32 pm »

If you want to ruin some Venusian's day at great expense to yourself, you could probably use a SPACEPLANE. Rather than parking on an airship, you can just land in orbit.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 25, 2016, 10:05:28 pm »

What problems are currently impeding cryogenic stasis or whatever it is called when you freeze someone to thaw out later?

Asking because if it becomes a thing couldn't someone just freeze their soldiers until they are needed so when they go to war they have an army much larger than their country would normally be able to have (since you've been storing a bunch of guys instead of having them do some pointless peace time stuff and retire)?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:40 pm »

What problems are currently impeding cryogenic stasis or whatever it is called when you freeze someone to thaw out later?

Asking because if it becomes a thing couldn't someone just freeze their soldiers until they are needed so when they go to war they have an army much larger than their country would normally be able to have (since you've been storing a bunch of guys instead of having them do some pointless peace time stuff and retire)?

We require additional graphene.

On that note, you would not believe how hard it is to convince everyone that making graphene with 2-carboxylic acid is far superior to making graphene with 1-carboxylic acid.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:54 pm »

I'm not sure what the difference is, please explain. Maybe?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:20 pm »

Apart from, uh, the ethical problems with freezer-pop soldiers? Gonna have a hard time getting volunteers for that, methinks. Same issue of societal detachment as with STL travel at an appreciable fraction of c: the people doing it rapidly outlive everyone and everything they knew. It's like an entire segment of the population turning into grumpy old people who don't like all this newfangled bullshit, except that they're still in their twenties or thirties.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 25, 2016, 11:09:42 pm »

That's why you send large numbers of people. Generational ships. Send their families with them.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 25, 2016, 11:20:21 pm »

I don't think getting volunteers would be as difficult as you think it would be.
I mean look at how easy it is for even just a loudly put together organization to collect willing young volunteers to fight and die for their cause.

I think a patriotic ad campaign would be enough to get a sizable amount of people to volunteer for it (even if it is just 1% of the people that would normally join the military that would eventually add up over time since they don't need to be paid (as much) and they don't retire or need more training once frozen)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 25, 2016, 11:26:27 pm »

I don't think getting volunteers would be as difficult as you think it would be.
I mean look at how easy it is for even just a loudly put together organization to collect willing young volunteers to fight and die for their cause.

I think a patriotic ad campaign would be enough to get a sizable amount of people to volunteer for it (even if it is just 1% of the people that would normally join the military that would eventually add up over time since they don't need to be paid (as much) and they don't retire or need more training once frozen)
I think you overestimate how willing people are to die as compared to fight. And how willing people are to make their lives literally nothing but fighting, and leave behind their family basically permanently. Besides which, you actually do have to train with new weapon systems, unless you're wanting to make them into basically conscripts. Or have to retrain with the new tech when war happens. And the timescale it would take for it to be useful, as compared to just spending that money on more tech and equipment, is pretty horrendous.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 91