Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100869 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #825 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:50 pm »

Yep. For example, I believe the plan with things like Orion was to accelerate at ~1G for a about year at either end of the journey, one to get up to speed, the other to brake.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 20, 2016, 04:40:13 pm »

As has been said here before, it's a lot easier to throw something down to earth than to throw it up at a satellite.

Have we talked about supersoldiers yet?
There's maybe one or two people in this thread who avoid the 40k series, but long story short the supersoldiers in that setting aren't reliant on bionics.
Actually, they're nothing but humans who've undergone some serious hormone and gene therapy just before adolescence, along with the introduction of a few redundant organs because evolution clearly screwed up in only giving us two lungs.

So I guess the question is, how out of the loop is this stuff? Is that kind of intense therapy able to e done to children older than Trimester-1, and how much would our bodies really be willing to take? Will we ever have real Witchers?
Space Marines are fairly reliant on biotics, and that's before the thousand to one failure chance for the most feasible applicants. Genetically engineered supersoldiets are likely to become real, but along the lines of a subspecies of human grown in vats or with artificial insemination than super puberty
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #827 on: April 20, 2016, 05:42:25 pm »

I don't think the public will allow the idea of humans bred to be soldiers to even be considered long enough for us to find out if it really is possible.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 20, 2016, 06:11:27 pm »

Strikes me as the kind of thing that would already be done by the time any civilian authority found out.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #829 on: April 20, 2016, 06:28:37 pm »

Strikes me as the kind of thing that would already be done by the time any civilian authority found out.
And when it gets out, there will be widespread outrage. I see it having severe consequences if the country in question is a democratic one.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 20, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »

It's not a five-minute job creating a huge lab, staffing with top scientists who feel fine ignoring the horrible ethical issues, and completing advanced, never done before research on creating modified humans to have super-soldiers that might not suffer crippling genetic maladies - if they're ever viable - in however many years, then wait for them to grow up.

There's a hell of a lot of difference it secretly dosing people with LSD and creating a new form of human.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:48 pm »

Plus I mean once a ruling body has supersoldiers, democracy is kind of invalidated. Pretty sure riot control would be stepped up a notch in effectiveness.

Also RPGeek space marines don't have metal bits to begin with. All of their augmentations are fully organic until they start losing bits in combat. (Except the black carapace, but that's an interface thing).

But is there a reason why bioborgs would be better than Cyborgs? The time seems a lot longer, but they might be cheaper to produce.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 20, 2016, 07:52:33 pm »

Plus I mean once a ruling body has supersoldiers, democracy is kind of invalidated.

Not any more than a ruling body having tanks, or artillery, or nuclear weapons, none of which ordinary civilians can match.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:22 pm »

Plus I mean once a ruling body has supersoldiers, democracy is kind of invalidated.

Not any more than a ruling body having tanks, or artillery, or nuclear weapons, none of which ordinary civilians can match.
Perhaps you are not familiar with the more generous readings of the Second Amendment :)

A bit more seriously, it's the military's loyalty that matters.  A million-strong "Present's Guard" is not the same thing as a normal military.

This cuts both ways.  A tyrant who misses payroll on his army is in trouble.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »

I recommend the Cobra trilogy for anyone interested in decent mil sf where the political situation of super soldiers is important to the plot.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 20, 2016, 08:47:34 pm »

Who needs genetically engineered supersoldiers? Put a neural processor in someone's head, give them access to satellites nearby, a large amount of drones, heavy (preferably powered, reactive or both) armor, and long-range missile batteries, and you've got yourself a hand-built supersoldier that can be recruited of the street.

Once you've got said supersoldier, you can also make a front company and sell neural processors (of a lesser quality, of course) to the general public. More money, more supersoldiers.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 20, 2016, 09:03:59 pm »

Sounds like you've just got a random dude stumbling around in his armor calling down strikes on places accidentally.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:42 pm »

Hmm...You would probably need to either teach him what the hell he's doing or figure out a way for him to download information, and give him some time to get used to having a computer in his skull, but the basic idea's still there.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #838 on: April 20, 2016, 10:11:32 pm »

Perhaps you are not familiar with the more generous readings of the Second Amendment :)

A bit more seriously, it's the military's loyalty that matters.  A million-strong "Present's Guard" is not the same thing as a normal military.
Heil Santa.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 91