Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100756 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #795 on: April 19, 2016, 05:16:09 pm »

All of the feedback you guys gave here is the exact reason I haven't actually wrote the description of the suit in the book yet.

Yes, I meant ice axes. I didn't know what they were called and saw that they were practically picks in CoD, and they were used for more mobility on the ice, so I called them ice picks. I did mean ice axes.

I'm changing the idea slightly, they would never be inserted into extremes (arctic, deep-sea, aerobatics) without a change in loadout (which will be loaded onto the insertion helicopter if there's such a mission on the roster). The base suit would still follow my original guidelines earlier. For partly rule-of-cool reasons, I still want them to take the ice axes (it's gunna take a lot of practice to stop calling them picks now XD). How effective would an ice axe be versus a knife?
For what it's worth I live in the US and we've always called them ice picks where I'm from, probably because the largest piece of ice the vast majority of Arizonians ever see is the ones floating in your drink (meanwhile the rest of us in the northeast side of the state are having our cars freeze into giant blocks every winter :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 19, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »

All of the feedback you guys gave here is the exact reason I haven't actually wrote the description of the suit in the book yet.

Yes, I meant ice axes. I didn't know what they were called and saw that they were practically picks in CoD, and they were used for more mobility on the ice, so I called them ice picks. I did mean ice axes.

I'm changing the idea slightly, they would never be inserted into extremes (arctic, deep-sea, aerobatics) without a change in loadout (which will be loaded onto the insertion helicopter if there's such a mission on the roster). The base suit would still follow my original guidelines earlier. For partly rule-of-cool reasons, I still want them to take the ice axes (it's gunna take a lot of practice to stop calling them picks now XD). How effective would an ice axe be versus a knife?

For similar reasons, I also want to keep the faceplate, although less of a focus and removable so that it isn't a problem on desert missions or light diving or wingsuiting etc. It'd be more or less so that you have more of a chance of an open-casket funeral than to stop a .50 cal bullet. It'd primarily be there to stop shrapnel from frags and burns from HE getting on the face and to prevent that flying sheet metal from decapitating you. Also if it cracks from something in battle you can remove it for the visability.

MY SCHOOL BLOCKED TVTROPES ON ME! NOOOO! Now I can't check what tropes my suit falls under (not without going to my ipod). My school has utilised the greatest weapon of all time: The website blocker. Known to cause people to abandon cities to try and find a way around the filter, it is only a matter of time before they go insane from a lack of Google and TVTropes and Wikipedia.

RE rods from God: I hated how CoD Ghosts did the whole rods from god thing. It felt like a cheap way of killing billions of people. Thanks for clearing the thing up a bit!

Also, submachine guns. There's a reason they're used mainly by CQB units and SWAT teams, namely that they're almost as useless as pistols at any notable range. True machine pistols are even less useful as a universal weapon, because removing the long, foregripped barrel and stock changes them from highly-controllable room-sweeper machine guns to uncontrollable bullet-hoses useless beyond extremely close range and suppressive fire.

At this point, compact, rifle-caliber carbines are replacing SMGs in most notable military situations, for a variety of reasons, not least that a simple barrel switch converts them to a true rifle effective to several hundred meters.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »

Rods from God are an awful idea for a weapons system, anyway.
Might suck in the real world but they are fun for fiction
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 19, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »

Indeed. Additionally, I see orbital kinetic weapons as being far more practical in a world where space travel has become ubiquitous. You can basically melt scrap metal into bars and use a basic coilgun or something to deorbit them in the general direction of people you dislike.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 19, 2016, 06:03:12 pm »

If they suck in the real world, chances are they'll suck in fiction. Just because it's the future doesn't explain the question of 'why didn't they use something so much more practical?' Space based kinetic weapons suffer from unique disadvantages that can't really be compensated for.

Indeed. Additionally, I see orbital kinetic weapons as being far more practical in a world where space travel has become ubiquitous. You can basically melt scrap metal into bars and use a basic coilgun or something to deorbit them in the general direction of people you dislike.

Not particularly, no.
Rods from god "work" because they're made from tungsten, which has the density and high melting point to survive reentry in a form that still has use. Otherwise you'll lose a huge amount of material burning up in the atmosphere.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 19, 2016, 06:30:03 pm »

If they suck in the real world, chances are they'll suck in fiction.
Depends on your definition of suck. The idea of throwing a giant rod of tungsten at a planet and having it cause massive destruction is a fun idea no matter how unrealistic it may be.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #801 on: April 19, 2016, 08:03:11 pm »

For what it's worth I live in the US and we've always called them ice picks where I'm from, probably because the largest piece of ice the vast majority of Arizonians ever see is the ones floating in your drink (meanwhile the rest of us in the northeast side of the state are having our cars freeze into giant blocks every winter :P).
Yep. Arizonan here as well. I've seen snow once in this state and I've lived here my whole life.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 19, 2016, 08:25:26 pm »

If they suck in the real world, chances are they'll suck in fiction.
Depends on your definition of suck. The idea of throwing a giant rod of tungsten at a planet and having it cause massive destruction is a fun idea no matter how unrealistic it may be.
Because they don't even do that.

Project Thor, for example, would have utilised a 6.1 m × 0.3 m tungsten cylinder impacting at Mach 10.
It has approx 11.5 tons of TNT worth of kinetic energy - but before you think that sounds impressive, the rod itself is over nine tons. That's rubbish for what you're paying, and you're paying a lot. You'd get a lot more energy with nine tons of dynamite.

Bunker busters able to penetrate 6+ metres of reinforced concrete already exist.

It's a cool idea, but it just doesn't match up.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:02 pm »

That said, how about orbital beam weapons?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
  • The OS, the tuber, also this bird now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »

Not that it would be really useful, tactically, but how practical would it be to put a warhead in a RfG? If you're nuking a planet from orbit and want maximum fallout/nuke mass ratio, would the penetration be useful? And one advantage of orbital kinetic weapons is the sheer speed. They come in hotter than an ICBM and most missile defense systems wouldn't be able to do much.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 19, 2016, 09:51:05 pm »

I wouldn't think a nuke would survive impact very well, the issue with coming in that fast is that the sudden stop at the end is really good at tearing things apart.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 19, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »

That said, how about orbital beam weapons?
I would think their efficiency would be reduced by the distance involved, the Earth's magnetic field, and clouds/dust in the atmosphere.

Oh, and the difficulty getting rid of heat in space.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 19, 2016, 09:55:19 pm »

Certainly, but any beam weapon useful at orbital distance can manage ~400 miles. That said, atmospheric attenuation is a major issue, but there are apparently several ways to keep a beam coherent through it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 19, 2016, 10:50:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 19, 2016, 11:24:58 pm »

Can't hit what you can't see, and you probably can't see much at FTL speed. It would also be almost impossible to actually hit someone going FTL unless you stick FTL drives to your missiles or something.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 91