Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100649 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2016, 05:30:29 pm »

I wonder what's the addressing mechanism.
Traditionally, one of the crew would paint the target city's name on the side of the bomb casing :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2016, 05:56:02 pm »

Nothing a chemist could synthetize in a lab would reach that level of elegant lethality.
Au contraire.

I stand corrected. I wonder what's the addressing mechanism. Wow, that's nasty.
What do you mean by 'addressing mechanism'? Apparently the enzymes to turn it into the real toxic agent only occur in certain brain cells, so this stuff selectively fries them.

And the best part is: This stuff is horrifically easy to make - give me a couple bucks and a few days' time, and I could probably whip up a batch - and its effect is delayed. It probably would be a great not-quite-assassination tool, especially if one could take an enzyme inhibitor to immunize oneself against the agent's effects.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:24 pm »

Chemical weapons get super unfriendly at more advanced tech levels. There's some neat cadmium molecules that kill you dead and then light you on fire with the fluorine they release as a by-product of their toxicity.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 07, 2016, 11:05:21 pm »

Chlorine trifluoride.

For all your 'Fuck you' needs!

Put it in a missile. Fire. Hope none of it splashed back on you.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2016, 11:10:23 pm »

Chlorine trifluoride.

For all your 'Fuck you' needs!

Put it in a missile. Fire. Hope none of it splashed back on you.
Hee. And now I have an excuse to post this illustrative video. :3

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to explain.  In order, those are Plexiglass, rubber gloves, clean leather gloves, dirty leather gloves, a gas mask, a brick (!), and a glove soaked in water.  This is the chemical that inspired me to pick up a PDF copy of the out-of-print book Ignition. ^_^
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:15:16 pm by Culise »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2016, 11:25:59 pm »

ClF3 is some friendly stuff, yes. Very practical as a weapon. Apparently ze wacky Nazis considered using it in a flamethrower.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 08, 2016, 05:53:00 am »

I much prefer when the chemistry passes into the realm of biology for chemical weapons. Sure, any hobo with a post-grad chemistry major can whip up something that goes boom. It's the finesse that lets you melt flesh while leaving inorganic materials untouched that's the true mark of a master of his trade. If all you want is a big boom, there's cheaper and easier ways to get it than highly reactive chemicals.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 08, 2016, 07:04:29 am »

I'd challenge you to name a method other than biological weapons of mass destruction that can effect >90% mortality on a localized population, that is delivered by unmanned drone, and is able to completely avoid collateral damage to existing infrastructure. About the only thing that springs to mind for me is radiation, and it's not nearly as fast acting unless delivered in extremely large amounts.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 08, 2016, 07:16:15 am »

Theoretical:  Grey Goo

(has the nifty bonus of potentially transforming enemy combatants into useful materia, while they are still alive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:19:57 am by wierd »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 08, 2016, 07:26:29 am »

Negative. Grey goo, by its very definition, would consume all localized materials to replicate. Unless you specifically programmed a nanotech to target carbon based lifeforms, it's not going to give you the effect you desire. Also, it's still science fiction, whereas biological weapons are possible with current technology.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 08, 2016, 09:07:38 am »

Yeah - usually it is desirable to keep the local population alive. You need people to plow the fields, man the machinery, etc etc. Unless you're doing a Nazi-style war of extermination, those people will be the same people who performed the task before you took over.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 08, 2016, 09:15:58 am »

The grey goo gains sentience and begins attempting to create a hive.
Welp, that's about all I wanted from this planet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2016, 11:27:06 am »

The grey goo gains sentience and begins attempting to create a hive.
Welp, that's about all I wanted from this planet.
Well, the goo spreading from the engineering lab isn't grey.  More of a maroon color, actually.

Hey, that stuff spreads pretty fastttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttgb

ALL IS FINE.  THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR ALARM.  PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES DURING THIS TRANSITION PERIOD.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2016, 11:51:01 am »

Yeah - usually it is desirable to keep the local population alive. You need people to plow the fields, man the machinery, etc etc. Unless you're doing a Nazi-style war of extermination, those people will be the same people who performed the task before you took over.
What about a grey goo that converts living matter into robotic servants loyal to you? That's much better than a load of belligerent wasters ruining your victory with their moaning. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 08, 2016, 02:11:34 pm »

Or you could consume the populace and use them as biomatter to spawn more workers.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 91