Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100618 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (sciencey people halp)
« Reply #300 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:24 am »

What do you think of shields? With railguns and etc, normal cover isn't half as effective. So a large shield mounted on one arm could be effective, right?
The rules for cover have not really changed.  If you are hiding behind something that can't stop what is being shot at you, it is "soft cover" and still has its uses so long as it obscures aiming.

An actual shield would need to have a significant energy advantage over what it defends against, either being more efficient or only snapping on when needed.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2016, 10:03:51 am »

Nothing a chemist could synthetize in a lab would reach that level of elegant lethality.
Au contraire.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2016, 10:57:53 am »

What do you think of shields? With railguns and etc, normal cover isn't half as effective. So a large shield mounted on one arm could be effective, right?
Hell no. Anticipating projectiles traveling faster than bullets is impossible. There's a reason why soldiers just armor their vital areas instead of holding shields made of kevlar and that's because you don't know you're being shot at until the bullet hits you or flies past you. And if this isn't a person we're talking about but some kind of tank, why even have a shield? Just give it more armor and eliminate the complexity of some kind of waldo, slaved to a sensor suite, holding a metal shield. Also, if "normal" cover can't save you from this purported railgun, it begs the question: why would a shield do any better? And if the shield IS strong enough to deflect a railgun round and light enough to heft on one armor, why aren't you just wearing a suit made out of whatever the shield is made of?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:29:23 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2016, 11:22:56 am »

Hell no. Anticipating projectiles traveling faster than bullets is impossible. There's a reason why soldiers just armor their vital areas instead of holding shields made of kevlar and that's because you don't know you're being shot at until the bullet hits you or flies past you. And if this isn't a person we're talking about but some kind of tank, why even have a shield? Just give it more armor and eliminate the complexity of some kind of waldo, slaved to a sensor suite, holding a metal shield. Also, if "normal" cover can't save you from this purported railgun, it begs the question: why would a shield do any better? And if the shield IS strong enough to deflect a railgun round and light enough to heft on one armor, why aren't you just wearing a suit made out of whatever the shield is made of?
You're quoting the wrong person, but I agree with what you're saying.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2016, 11:49:33 am »

Re: Pistols- I like the idea of the sci-fi sidearm straddling the line between weapon of last resort and multitool.
Such as a laser with a variable setting, etc- so that it can be used for anything from cauterization to cutting bulkheads, and, in a pinch, shooting things.

I think Dead Space's "pistol" is the closest I've seen that idea get.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2016, 11:56:52 am »

Re: Pistols- I like the idea of the sci-fi sidearm straddling the line between weapon of last resort and multitool.
Such as a laser with a variable setting, etc- so that it can be used for anything from cauterization to cutting bulkheads, and, in a pinch, shooting things.

Depending on the tech ambiance, it could be a multitool that just happens to have a mode or two that cause harm.
"It's a sonic screwdriver.  Haven't you ever had to put up a lot of cabinets?"
Just got back, updating:

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2016, 11:59:27 am »

Well, why didn't knights in ye olden times just wear two to three inches of oak over their bodies?

A shield is concentrated armor you can face where you need it to face. Especially with the advent of AI for personal soldier use which can react and track incoming projectiles much more quickly, or at least say 'oh yeah there's a dude to your right', shields could find a use. Other reasons for not having a shield certainly exist, such as it blocking vision, slowing you down when cover would typically be a lot more effective means of protection (improved armor means the cover just needs to bleed off enough energy so it doesn't penetrate), but 'unable to actually protect you' isn't necessarily one of them. It's why it's a big shield; you can't bring it up to block in time, necessarily, but if you're already in combat and have it facing where they're shooting from, and especially if your gun has it's own camera system it can feed into your helmet so you can fire, then it's a much cheaper way of having a good chunk of armor without gaps in it as there would have to be around your joints, that you can pick up or set down as needed, and can direct to the direction it's needed most(admittedly, armoring your front and just turning towards the enemy would also function like this, but you get the idea).

Though, really, true deflection is unlikely. Probably end up kinda like that cover; might twist the projectile's path a bit, bleed off some energy, so it doesn't fully penetrate your armor, but other than that...I mean, a railgun is unlikely to be a basic infantry weapon, simply because of maintenance costs in comparison to coilguns and the like, but still.

I still like idea of melee combat becoming a thing with boarding actions and cramped spaces in ships, and the whole 'projectiles in pressurized environment=bad' thing. Unlikely to actually occur, though. Would require hefty defenses that outstrip offense significantly.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think actual laser 'rifles' would look like? Oversized hand mirrors?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »

A large shield mounted on one arm could be effective, right?
Hell no.
To be fair, shields were often used to stop arrows, and are still used today by riot squads.
However, the biggest gripe about them isn't the reflex time but just the fact that they aren't bulletproof.
If there were to be a light, laser/bulletproof shield, then I'd use it. It's an extra 30% of your body which is covered, especially when breaching or holding an area.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #308 on: March 07, 2016, 12:46:39 pm »

Well, why didn't knights in ye olden times just wear two to three inches of oak over their bodies?

I still like idea of melee combat becoming a thing with boarding actions and cramped spaces in ships, and the whole 'projectiles in pressurized environment=bad' thing. Unlikely to actually occur, though. Would require hefty defenses that outstrip offense significantly.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think actual laser 'rifles' would look like? Oversized hand mirrors?
Because if you wanted the same amount of protection as metal armor, the suit would be bulky as all get out and be way way heavier. Wooden shields (reinforced with metal) were a thing because they were really easy and cheap to make. Are you saying that this hypothetical shield that can protect you from railgun rounds is to plate armor as plate armor is to a wooden shield? What's it made out of then?

In Legend of the Galactic Heroes you get exactly that. The marines have ceramic armor that is sort of immune to lasers and gunfire (the joints are vulnerable and you occasionally see them die from shots to the neck), so they fight using axes that can crack the armor. There's also zephyr particles but that's such a dumb excuse that I mostly ignore it.

To be fair, shields were often used to stop arrows, and are still used today by riot squads.

If there were to be a light, laser/bulletproof shield, then I'd use it. It's an extra 30% of your body which is covered, especially when breaching or holding an area.
Yeah arrows, rocks, and glass bottles are not bullets.

Maybe in some very limited circumstances. Infantry shields just aren't really practical on a modern battlefield, especially when you consider what you're sacrificing. You definitely can't use an assault rifle while holding a shield.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:49:53 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »

We have ERA on our tanks. Shields seem like a great place to mount that shit. Shields back in the day were often good for just a battle; maybe these would be too. Plus all the other stuff I mentioned.

The real issue with melee weapons is that the question always become 'why not put that in a cannon so you can use it from a distance?' which is only really resolved in favor of melee if the weapons are expensive enough that it's not feasible, and have capabilities that are far enough above the current ranged weapons that they become necessary.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2016, 01:02:20 pm »

The real issue with melee weapons is that the question always become 'why not put that in a cannon so you can use it from a distance?' which is only really resolved in favor of melee if the weapons are expensive enough that it's not feasible, and have capabilities that are far enough above the current ranged weapons that they become necessary.
I mean the only real option is very large rifles which are not the best weapons for fighting in close quarters. No doubt in open combat on planets soldiers wearing that armor are easily cheesed by autocannons and high power lasers.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:26:40 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2016, 01:25:32 pm »

Oh, I see what you meant now. Interesting.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2016, 01:30:53 pm »

Depending on the tech ambiance, it could be a multitool that just happens to have a mode or two that cause harm.
"It's a sonic screwdriver.  Haven't you ever had to put up a lot of cabinets?"

Admittedly, this would be for an active military, so it'd be rather more deliberate than that, but yes, exactly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2016, 03:40:53 pm »

Also, grenades. To avoid projectiles and enhance usefulness in close quarters, use thermobarics.

Perhaps some kind of chemical-propellant harpoon/speargun? Use fancy runic blade-thingies, with enhanced range capabilities and the possibility of reuse.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2016, 05:26:26 pm »

Nothing a chemist could synthetize in a lab would reach that level of elegant lethality.
Au contraire.

I stand corrected. I wonder what's the addressing mechanism. Wow, that's nasty.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 91