Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 490309 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 357 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2017, 05:57:36 pm »

Regarding retire/unretire. You can always make a backup. The scattering from containers and of living beings is annoying, indeed, but I do know it definitely benefits region-pops and FPS (extreme example: Sealed bloodyhells going from 10-11 to 210 fps) due reseting baseline traversable surfaces. Normal, non-sealed still got large gains, though not quite that much.)

Also, thought someone would have linked you that dfhack civ position fix by now. Alas, I don't know where it is or how to do it, but I recall others mentioning its' existence many months ago. Still, none of the visitors would use the rooms normally anyway - those are just for long-term residents.

I briefly forgot about the clouds and wondered why not "Outside/Above Ground". How often do you get them, anyway, once a year or so? Dunno if they would be any easier to avoid by building roof first, then walls.

Don't think I've ever seen a fished lungfish, but if you haven't fished the river yet. As for breaking the dam, the sensible part of me says to lower a bridge/open floodgates. The dramatic one says cave-in on top of the building blocking it.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2017, 06:31:37 pm »

ptw
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2017, 11:14:17 am »

Regarding retire/unretire. You can always make a backup. The scattering from containers and of living beings is annoying, indeed, but I do know it definitely benefits region-pops and FPS (extreme example: Sealed bloodyhells going from 10-11 to 210 fps) due reseting baseline traversable surfaces. Normal, non-sealed still got large gains, though not quite that much.)

Also, thought someone would have linked you that dfhack civ position fix by now. Alas, I don't know where it is or how to do it, but I recall others mentioning its' existence many months ago. Still, none of the visitors would use the rooms normally anyway - those are just for long-term residents.

I briefly forgot about the clouds and wondered why not "Outside/Above Ground". How often do you get them, anyway, once a year or so? Dunno if they would be any easier to avoid by building roof first, then walls.

Don't think I've ever seen a fished lungfish, but if you haven't fished the river yet. As for breaking the dam, the sensible part of me says to lower a bridge/open floodgates. The dramatic one says cave-in on top of the building blocking it.

Thanks! I might just try to clone the save and retire/unretire if nothing else then just to see what happens. The clouds come about once a month and cover at least a quarter of the map as they move so they're pretty dangerous. Fortunately they usually appear at the edge of the map and move across so it gives me time to get the dwarves inside because the tower is more or less in the middle. Once in a while though they can appear real close to the construction zone out of nowhere which makes things FUN!

Apparently you can fish lungfish according to the wiki. Dam is broken and the water flows!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: This is generally how close the clouds come:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:11:48 pm by Sethatos »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2017, 01:44:22 am »

Soon is there any chance that we could get to see with this glorious tower looks like in 3-D from something like Armok vision or another program? Or would that not work in terms of properly displaying it's sheer majesty?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »

I'll try to get a good representation of it soon in Armok vision. But since it goes through many stone layers I'm not sure if it will work or not

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 01, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »

Stonesense, maybe? It's included with dfhack
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Macrae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:09 pm »

Suggestion: you should make a comic book out of this story when it's over. Seriously, I would buy it. Kickstart it.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:53 am »

Suggestion: you should make a comic book out of this story when it's over. Seriously, I would buy it. Kickstart it.

Heh, maybe I should team up with evicted Saint from The Littlest Cheesemaker. :)
Update coming soon, just waiting for a couple projects to complete.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 15, 2017, 04:44:59 pm »

+1

+1

+1
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 15, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »

A cool idea, but I imagine it'd cost upwards to tens of thousands of € and take possibly several years to complete, for a high-quality retelling of the events of the fort.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 15, 2017, 11:16:13 pm »

opens up savings account

Anywho, in seriousness, it'd be cool, and all we need is a dediacted fan with mad art skills
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »

Tharwen cancels butcher dead animal: interrupted by Zombie Badger

DarkExcalibur42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2017, 04:40:06 pm »

This thread is extraordinary. I just created an account so that I could say, if ever I run another ttRPG Archcrystal will be a location in the world.

The dwarfs who heard tell you could dig too deep, and replied "Challenge accepted."
The kingdom that kept dragons and waterfalls as pets, tamed the deepest caverns, and who made a paradise of hell.
A glass spire reaching from the very foundations of the world, the deepest bedrock, to the firmament high above.

I feel like this whole spire is just one divine act of retribution away from total annihilation... this is the kind of pride gods cannot abide >_>

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:33 am »

I feel like this whole spire is just one divine act of retribution away from total annihilation... this is the kind of pride gods cannot abide >_>

hubris
hu·bris
ˈ(h)yo͞obrəs/
noun

excessive pride or self-confidence.
    synonyms: Archcrystal
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:10 am »

Nonsense. While you can have too much pride and self-confidence and delude self into the impossible, the dwarves of Archcrystal's have entirely warranted theirs. After all, for them the impossible is not.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 56