Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Game Over  (Read 62438 times)

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - And we're off!
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:58 pm »

I know I'm town

DoomChild: Why do you feel like you need to state you're town?

Three reasons:
  • It's true.
  • I've seen it done in other games.
  • I don't want anybody to accuse me of being mafia just because "you never said you were town!".

Doomchild is reading funny enough for me to want to lynch him D1, though.

"Reading funny" is enough for you to want to lynch me?  That seems to me like a knee-jerk OMGUS reaction to saying I had a gut-level suspicion about you.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2016, 11:03:31 pm »

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Elephant Parade
It's two days and a bit until the deadline, y'know. I feel like you're trying to get a reaction out of me, because there is literally no other reason why you would make this post—other than being pretty sure I'm scum *and* confused about the deadline; the second part of that seems relatively unlikely.

I say that then remember I don't think EP is voting at all... What's the link to the lurkertracker/vote counter?
According to the Lurker Tracker, I'm not voting anyone.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2016, 11:04:02 pm »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2016, 11:05:34 pm »

Eh reason I joined the forum was to try and make up for my sheer deficiency in my handwritting. I have trouble with spelling and grammar as well as punctuation a lot because of my dysgraphia which mainly impairs my handwriting but I've noticed it's impaired my punctuation and grammar as well because I couldn't read my own handwriting and as such I had a hard time learning those things though I have to say if you look at my earliest posts I've improved a lot!

Dysgraphia, huh? I have a cousin with that. Okay, just keep working on yourself, and I'll do my best to read your posts *nod* You're doing gr8

Vector: Same question. You, especially, should know this is a silly thing to say in mafia. Everyone's gonna play like they're town, there's no need to state it unless you feel like you need to defend yourself, especially this early. If you're town, you work under the fact that you're town and trust no one. If you're mafia, you work under the fact you need to -appear- town and thus act like you trust no one.

This is going to sound stupid, but I've lynched people over omitting it before (see things like ElephantParade objecting to the certainty that others thought he was scum, but not the allegation itself). They don't always flip scum, but it's one of those things. As a matter of policy, I feel like Mafia is a situation in which giving complete and literal answers is a good idea. As a matter of... everything else, well, it's true, so I said it.

................ Hector? what the hell
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2016, 11:05:49 pm »

I was making a post (with phone) to explain that vote and accidentally closed the tab. Vector more or less said everything but to recap:

EP is most active player, but hasn't progressed the game beyond RVS

Has "touched base" with everyone, but apparently hasn't got a clue who might be town or scum. Fackin' mind-boggling.

A specific thing was voting Vector and thinking her vote on snow dwarf (ostensibly for an OMGUS) is somehow scummy despite Vector not having been on to unvote in the day or so preceding the question. How do you expect someone to Unvote without posting?

Also, I don't think EP is voting me so... how's it an OMGUS? AFAIK, ATH is the only one voting me. Haven't read the game too well beyond EP's posts (in that no reads on other people yet) so... perhaps I'm mistaken.

PPE: amused by people misconstruing my swearing. The lulz, brah, the lulz.

Not trying to get a reaction, EP, genuinely think you're scummy at this point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2016, 11:12:42 pm »

I just realized I had unvoted ATH, but never put my vote back on TinFoilTopHat.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:02 pm »

I know I'm town

Three reasons:
  • It's true.
  • I don't want anybody to accuse me of being mafia just because "you never said you were town!".

Saying "it's true" that you're town is as good as saying it's true that you're left handed. I have no way of verifying this.

In other games, I wouldn't trust the people who go "I'm town!" because there's no reason to say that. There's really no reason to say that, as a personal opinion.

I can't say I've ever seen a game where someone went "well, I'm having a tough time here, but he never said he was town so he must be mafia!

"Reading funny" is enough for you to want to lynch me?  That seems to me like a knee-jerk OMGUS reaction to saying I had a gut-level suspicion about you.

I've been keeping an eye on you since you started only going after lurkers. And currently, your vote -is- on a lurker. While I have no issue with getting on lurkers' cases, it seems like it's all you've been doing, aside from attacking ATH for short posts. You've responded to Snow Dwarf, but didn't offer any questions in return. You haven't played the field at all, so to speak.

Also, I thought I did have my vote on you (I'm sure I did once), but Doomchild, I really trust you less than anyone else here.

Eh reason I joined the forum was to try and make up for my sheer deficiency in my handwritting. I have trouble with spelling and grammar as well as punctuation a lot because of my dysgraphia which mainly impairs my handwriting but I've noticed it's impaired my punctuation and grammar as well because I couldn't read my own handwriting and as such I had a hard time learning those things though I have to say if you look at my earliest posts I've improved a lot!

Dysgraphia, huh? I have a cousin with that. Okay, just keep working on yourself, and I'll do my best to read your posts *nod* You're doing gr8

Vector: Same question. You, especially, should know this is a silly thing to say in mafia. Everyone's gonna play like they're town, there's no need to state it unless you feel like you need to defend yourself, especially this early. If you're town, you work under the fact that you're town and trust no one. If you're mafia, you work under the fact you need to -appear- town and thus act like you trust no one.

This is going to sound stupid, but I've lynched people over omitting it before (see things like ElephantParade objecting to the certainty that others thought he was scum, but not the allegation itself). They don't always flip scum, but it's one of those things. As a matter of policy, I feel like Mafia is a situation in which giving complete and literal answers is a good idea. As a matter of... everything else, well, it's true, so I said it.

Given, here's my counter. Vector has stated they've lynched over it. Which I find silly, personally. But to each their own method of hunting. Complete and literal answers are good ones, but ones with no basis in current fact, like stating one is a town, where lying is the best possible option here for the mafia, is a pretty poor indicator of actually being town I've felt. It's always fallen under "Trying Too Hard to Appear Town" to me. It's like, Hey! I'm a human too! Not an alien! let's do human things together like hunt aliens and divulge our human secrets to each other!

You did. LurkerTracker keeps track of that pretty well. See EP's fixed link.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2016, 11:23:22 pm »

Well I bungled that post. My words happen after his three reasons.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2016, 11:24:01 pm »

ElephantParade
Excluding my Gamefaqs account from three years ago, my accounts always have a space or underscore. How do people keep doing this? :P

I was making a post (with phone) to explain that vote and accidentally closed the tab. Vector more or less said everything but to recap:
I'm still not sure what the point of the F*4 post was. Rather than disrupting the game for no reason, you could have retyped your reasoning and posted it ten minutes later, or at least said "Elephant Parade [NOT A VOTE, O.WILDE], reasons incoming."

EP is most active player, but hasn't progressed the game beyond RVS
I have already explained why this isn't true. I'm not sure how you could've missed it, unless you practised extreme skimming.

Has "touched base" with everyone, but apparently hasn't got a clue who might be town or scum. Fackin' mind-boggling.
The game has been going for two days. Also, I have had suspects for a large portion of the last 24 hours; I just don't have any right now—Vector turned out to have just been busy, and ATH recently got much more active.

A specific thing was voting Vector and thinking her vote on snow dwarf (ostensibly for an OMGUS) is somehow scummy despite Vector not having been on to unvote in the day or so preceding the question. How do you expect someone to Unvote without posting?
She had been posting in other threads, so I assumed she was able to play. I was wrong, but I had no way of knowing that.

Doomchild, I think they're not coming back—and I think you know that. This is not the most productive thing to do with your vote; this is not a productive thing to do with your vote, period. You can't pressure somebody who doesn't care, and signs point to TFTH not caring.

Or is it?

Vector-as-IC: Is leaving your vote on a lurker a useful tactic? I swear I've seen it before, but it seems pretty pointless to me; leaving it on a pseudo-lurker/active-lurker might be okay, but TFTH doesn't seem to care about the game.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2016, 11:28:26 pm »

Well I bungled that post. My words happen after his three reasons.
If I were you, I'd repost it with the quotes fixed. It's pretty bad.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2016, 11:37:23 pm »

It was five F-bombs, learn to count.

Also, where did you explain the most-active-but-not-generating-content stuff?

I made the post because I was frustrated, intending to explain it much later. I calmed down much quicker than I expected, so explained in a much less detailed manner than I initially wanted. It didn't disrupt the game, though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2016, 11:45:15 pm »

FIXED REPOST
I know I'm town

Three reasons:
  • It's true.
Saying "it's true" that you're town is as good as saying it's true that you're left handed. I have no way of verifying this.

In other games, I wouldn't trust the people who go "I'm town!" because there's no reason to say that. There's really no reason to say that, as a personal opinion.

I can't say I've ever seen a game where someone went "well, I'm having a tough time here, but he never said he was town so he must be mafia!

I've been keeping an eye on you since you started only going after lurkers. And currently, your vote -is- on a lurker. While I have no issue with getting on lurkers' cases, it seems like it's all you've been doing, aside from attacking ATH for short posts. You've responded to Snow Dwarf, but didn't offer any questions in return. You haven't played the field at all, so to speak.

Also, I thought I did have my vote on you (I'm sure I did once), but Doomchild, I really trust you less than anyone else here.

Given, here's my counter. Vector has stated they've lynched over it. Which I find silly, personally. But to each their own method of hunting. Complete and literal answers are good ones, but ones with no basis in current fact, like stating one is a town, where lying is the best possible option here for the mafia, is a pretty poor indicator of actually being town I've felt. It's always fallen under "Trying Too Hard to Appear Town" to me. It's like, Hey! I'm a human too! Not an alien! let's do human things together like hunt aliens and divulge our human secrets to each other!

You did. LurkerTracker keeps track of that pretty well. See EP's fixed link.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2016, 11:48:27 pm »

It was five F-bombs, learn to count.
this does not bode well for my upcoming Calculus test :-\

Also, where did you explain the most-active-but-not-generating-content stuff?
Link. About half of my post was dedicated to it; Control + F "it's true that", without quotes.

I made the post because I was frustrated, intending to explain it much later. I calmed down much quicker than I expected, so explained in a much less detailed manner than I initially wanted. It didn't disrupt the game, though.
I mean, it certainly disrupted my train of thought, but that might have just been me. "Disrupted the game" turned out to be hyperbole, since you posted your reasoning so quickly afterwards, but it seemed like a pretty big deal at the time.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2016, 11:50:21 pm »

So, in your head, anybody who says they're town is lying.  There's really no defending against that, because you have already made up your mind.  That level of certainty bothers me a lot.  Scum would be certain who is town and who isn't.

It's really easy for you to say that after the fact, but the truth of the matter (if one were to adopt your excessively literal frame of reference) is that you could have picked me as a target at any time.  I've kept my vote on TinFoilTopHat because I (apparently mistakenly) thought that keeping some amount of pressure on a lurker was a good idea; I've answered questions and asked some while my vote was where it was, aside from my attack on ATH.

This is a lot tougher than I expected; I thought I'd be able to spot scummy behavior all over the place, and the truth is that that hasn't been true.  I've gotten twinges here and there, but knowing who to vote for when nobody looks 100% guilty is really difficult, especially when you know you're going to get attacked over your choice.  Even now, if I definitively thought you, Gentlefish, were scum, I couldn't put my vote on you without being immediately attacked for OMGUS.  Separating how I feel about being attacked from the evidence here in this thread is apparently a lot more complicated than I expected.

So I'm going to unvote for now, because it is pretty obvious that TinFoilTopHat isn't responding to pressure.

Questions:

• Gentlefish:  If you're so convinced I'm scum, who is my partner?
  • Hector13:  What the hell, man?  You were frustrated about a tab closing?  Do you normally fly off the handle like that?
  • snow dwarf:  You say you keep a list of who you think is scum, but you don't say what you consider to be "something weird".  Care to elaborate?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2016, 11:52:09 pm »

You people talk too much! I am taking a vacation under orders of Dr. Tiruin until Monday evening at the latest.

(I'm going to do some relaxing arts and crafts tomorrow afternoon, and then I have Job all day on Monday)

Oh, uh, EXTEND if that's appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:05:51 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 40