Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - Game Over  (Read 62403 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIX: The Train - And we're off!
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2016, 09:03:05 pm »

I'm keeping my vote on TinFoilTopHat for the moment, as I think pressure on him for lurking isn't a bad thing, but here are some questions for others:

• Gentlefish:  Would you rather be town or scum?
  • AbstractTraitorHero:  You mentioned getting lynched before for being "too honest".  How could honesty get you lynched unless you were scum?
  • Elephant Parade:  You're very in people's faces about posting.  Does silence make you uncomfortable?
  • snow dwarf:  How do you plan on finding scum?
I do keep a list of who potentially might be a scum and I either ask them questions or wait for them to post something weird.

I do unvote but I do vote for doomchild.
@doomchild: Why did you attack a guy who used wrong wording? If you would be more open minded you could see that his planning might mean that he has a role that can change the course of the game but he doesn't know how to use it yet cause it is his first game.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »

Okay then I'll try to be a little more aggressive then
Hector13
How do you feel about being a replacement?have any plans? Tell me something begin talking! Do you have any reads yet!? Who do you think could be scum?
....I have asked questions I'm waiting for a response really but I'm just going to go ahead and  ask everyone questions now.
Oh, I actually missed that one.

Who do you think is scum and why?
Already answered this, though I'm a lot less confident now.

Who do you believe would be the most dangerous as scum?
Vector and Persus. How is this even a question?

Who do you think is least likely to be scum in other words who do you think is town?
Other than "lol myself", nobody really reads as town to me, at the moment. There hasn't been enough activity, yet.

Do you think we should Lynch someone day 1 or wait for someone to die and gather evidence from what happened over the night?
IIRC, No Lynch is almost always a bad idea, except in games with loads of weird roles. You probably just want the ICs to weigh in here, though.

Personally: Yes, I think we should lynch someone.

Who has the coolest username here?
It's a bit late for RVS questions, though I suppose I was asking them fairly recently, myself.

(the answer is obviously me 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2016, 09:26:29 pm »

Elefunk, I need some time to think about most of that post, but I'm going to hurry up and answer this first.

Vector-as-IC: Do you think that stuff should be phrased harshly from the very start, to provoke reactions?

I think that people should focus less on provoking certain reactions and more on reading reactions. Being deliberately harsh can just wear out the town.

So: I generally feel that it's appropriate to ask exactly one RVS question per game, whose goal should be to give the reader a little jolt. After that, your job is to ask people meaningful questions about their reasoning for doing things until they hang themselves, and to have fun doing it.

As a caveat to my advice to a beginner, I want to say first of all that my personality is naturally abrasive and a little bit unstable. I'm not necessarily a procedure worth imitating in every respect. Focus on whatever makes it possible for you to make perceptive insights and to say only things that advance your goals (whatever those might be).

As an IC, I want to add also that if I were scum and an asshole, you'd have a lynch up your butt faster than you can say "sweet tuesday" for saying that you've been active-lurking and hypocritical--the right answer is "no, I'm not active-lurking or muddying the waters, I'm bad at getting reactions and reading people and I post too much." Active-lurking is a crime of intent.

Top 2 right now are Gentlefish (rolefishing and, as EP noted, riding on other people's reasoning) and Perseus13 (lurking). Honestly, I'm also just suspicious of them on principle because I know that they're more seasoned players. Right now, there's a lot of undeveloped (AKA shitty) players who I'm trying to teach how to play before I begin to really look for scum. I expect my reads to keep developing quickly.

I don't know most of these players or my own rusty abilities well enough to make an accurate assessment, but based on previous track record I'm guessing that it's me. If you want pairings, me and Gentlefish. I know from experience that he's good at calming me down when I lose it, which would be the most likely thing to screw me over in a BM context.

Who do you think is least likely to be scum in other words who do you think is town?

I'm certain that I'm town. I think that you and EP are probably town, tentatively doomchild as well. My read on snow dorf is also town so far. I don't yet have a coherent enough read on everyone to make any meaningful judgments. I tend to form my reads slowly and report them only when I'm fairly certain of something.

Do you think we should Lynch someone day 1 or wait for someone to die and gather evidence from what happened over the night?

We should definitely lynch D1, with the goal of killing scum right off the bat. Wasting time destroys town.

Me. Of course, I'm biased.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:09:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2016, 10:27:14 pm »

Top 2 right now are Gentlefish (rolefishing and, as EP noted, riding on other people's reasoning) and Perseus13 (lurking). Honestly, I'm also just suspicious of them on principle because I know that they're more seasoned players. Right now, there's a lot of undeveloped (AKA shitty) players who I'm trying to teach how to play before I begin to really look for scum. I expect my reads to keep developing quickly.

I'll admit that was role-fishing even though I didn't know it at the time. I wouldn't call myself "seasoned", this is my third game and my first in over a year :P I was just trying to prod a reaction out of DoomChild at the time. You're really digging into EP, though. It's hard to come up with concrete evidence this early, and usually the highest poster is town. He raises many good points about being active and needling dodgy answers and people whom are lurking. With such a high amount of posts, it's not unlikely you'll come across some that aren't Quality Content. What makes you think, from his posts, that he's mafia scum?

I've repped in as mafia once, late-game and played town once. Town is more fun. Much more of a challenge to win, because we have to root out two people who aren't "us" while the rest of us are suspicious of us. Us and we, in this sense, referring to "town". Town has a much more challenging, and thus more rewarding wincon. Though I can't wait to play some of the more esoteric mafia games on the forums here.

ATH: The best way to win this game, for town, is to post Quality Content. What that means to me, is that you should respond to any allegations made against you, and that you offer up some questions with substance. So far, you are doing neither. How come? You said you're a student; for you, the weekend should be the best time for you to be posting.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2016, 10:33:03 pm »

Where in my post did I say that I thought he was scum?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34:15 pm »

I'm keeping my vote on TinFoilTopHat for the moment, as I think pressure on him for lurking isn't a bad thing, but here are some questions for others:

• AbstractTraitorHero:  You mentioned getting lynched before for being "too honest".  How could honesty get you lynched unless you were scum?
  • Elephant Parade:  You're very in people's faces about posting.  Does silence make you uncomfortable?
  • snow dwarf:  How do you plan on finding scum?
I do keep a list of who potentially might be a scum and I either ask them questions or wait for them to post something weird.

I do unvote but I do vote for doomchild.
@doomchild: Why did you attack a guy who used wrong wording? If you would be more open minded you could see that his planning might mean that he has a role that can change the course of the game but he doesn't know how to use it yet cause it is his first game.

I attacked someone who made me suspicious.  I also gave my reasons why I found him to be suspicious.

I'll be as frank as I know how on this.  I'm brand new at this.  I've been reading Mafia games for a few years, but it's not really the same.  Suspicion is, by definition, kind of vague.  It implies that you don't have exact knowledge of guilt, but that evidence points at a possibility.  So someone's interpretation of a remark is going to color just how suspicious they find it.

For me, that's language.  I'm a huge word nerd.  The words that someone uses are usually pretty significant to me, because I've always been very deliberate about my choice of words.  So in a situation where somebody else isn't that way, I'm going to be (what might look like) hypersensitive.  I'm doing my best to back that off some.

Right now, I'm most concerned about TinFoilTopHat.  His absence thus far makes me think that he's plotting.  That same thing makes me wonder about Hector13.  Other than that, I don't have any solid leads, but I have a vague sense of unease about GentleFish.  That's just a gut reaction, though, and is subject to change.

Vector, without a doubt.  I've read enough games where he's been scum to know that I would have a lot of trouble seeing it coming.

I know I'm town, but other than me, I don't have any solid leads.  I usually start from a position of trusting new people, but I'm finding that to be oddly reversed for me right now.  I only have my gut to go on right now, but I feel like Elephant Parade is probably town, and I'm coming around to that idea about AbstractTraitorHero after re-reading my recent attack on him.  I don't have solid reads on anybody yet, because this is actually a lot harder than I expected.

No-lynch on day 1 seems like a pretty bad idea, actually.

Me, obviously.  DOOM is completely great.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »

Well people have been dragging me to events for example I'm currently typing this on my phone at a racing event and I have been responding to anything that people throw at me and I've been trying to give questions with substance but I'm not coming up with much yet honestly I should reread this whole thing a few times in hopes I'll be able to find thing's that seem suspicious.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2016, 10:39:48 pm »

nobody tell him. if you're in on the joke, you know what I'm talking about.

Well people have been dragging me to events for example I'm currently typing this on my phone at a racing event and I have been responding to anything that people throw at me and I've been trying to give questions with substance but I'm not coming up with much yet honestly I should reread this whole thing a few times in hopes I'll be able to find thing's that seem suspicious.

IC-Vocals: This is all really good. If you broke up your thoughts into clearer sentences, that would be the next step to being a better player.

You're doing much better already. Keep going!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2016, 10:44:17 pm »

Eh reason I joined the forum was to try and make up for my sheer deficiency in my handwritting. I have trouble with spelling and grammar as well as punctuation a lot because of my dysgraphia which mainly impairs my handwriting but I've noticed it's impaired my punctuation and grammar as well because I couldn't read my own handwriting and as such I had a hard time learning those things though I have to say if you look at my earliest posts I've improved a lot!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »

Quick note: I have a Calculus test Tuesday and a Biology test Wednesday, and I haven't really studied enough for either of them; as a result, I'm going to be somewhat busy tomorrow, and *very* busy Monday and Tuesday. I'll try to make *some* posts on those days, but no promises.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2016, 10:51:04 pm »

Where in my post did I say that I thought he was scum?

Fair point. You did not. I gotta slow down. I'm going sonic-speed here and putting a lot of implications into words that aren't there. I'm not into the mindset of Mafia yet.

I know I'm town

DoomChild: Why do you feel like you need to state you're town?

I'm certain that I'm town.

Vector: Same question. You, especially, should know this is a silly thing to say in mafia. Everyone's gonna play like they're town, there's no need to state it unless you feel like you need to defend yourself, especially this early. If you're town, you work under the fact that you're town and trust no one. If you're mafia, you work under the fact you need to -appear- town and thus act like you trust no one.

....I have asked questions I'm waiting for a response really but I'm just going to go ahead and  ask everyone questions now.
Everyone:

Gosh. I don't have enough reads to say for certain, so I won't name names. Doomchild is reading funny enough for me to want to lynch him D1, though.

Most dangerous? The IC's, of course. They know what they're doing. EP, too. He's posting a lot and that's usually a town giveaway. Nothing's scarier than active mafia.

I don't have any strong town reads on anyone, yet. In other words, I don't know who to trust yet.

Always lynch D1. If anything, it's a good way to get some information -out- of D1.

Fish are best, so I have the best username. I'm not sure what you were expecting to get out of that :P

PPE:

Quick note: I have a Calculus test Tuesday and a Biology test Wednesday, and I haven't really studied enough for either of them; as a result, I'm going to be somewhat busy tomorrow, and *very* busy Monday and Tuesday. I'll try to make *some* posts on those days, but no promises.

I'll keep this in mind, thank you for the heads up.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2016, 10:53:23 pm »

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Elephant Parade
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2016, 10:54:42 pm »

Um..what in the hell are you doing Hector? No seriously that made absolutely no sense!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2016, 10:55:41 pm »

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Elephant Parade

...Bro? You have time to formulate a post. I think final tally is Wednesday. Unless you're super busy right now? This looks like an OMGUS right now.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:30 pm »

I say that then remember I don't think EP is voting at all... What's the link to the lurkertracker/vote counter?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40