Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Mission 21 On Trial: No Smart Subtitle  (Read 21297 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21 On Trial: No Smart Subtitle
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2016, 02:17:53 am »

"Yes, putting the implant back is a given. I do wonder though if that'll be enough to prevent future issues. I get the feeling that next time something like this comes up, he'd just do the same thing again. Hell, he might even try to engineer it so in an attempt to 'make ammends' or something. So I wonder if we shouldn't look into giving somebody more careful his position on Hep, and perhaps try to keep him away a bit from really alien shenanigans. He certainly has a great drive, it would be a waste not to use that, but seems to lack the judgement to guide it into positive results."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2016, 10:46:44 am »

"Yeah, I was waiting for your opinion on my first points before going into this; he should lose that science leadership due to his unstable state and should be kept away from alien fuckery unless there's a very good reason, or any kind of mind fuckery to be more precise. Like I said before, he's likely to end up possessed by the next alien or magic fuckery because he'll try the same thing again. Sure, this time it was someone else who fucked things up but he could've done it himself."

"He was a good doctor, so he should be put back into the field to stitch people up. Might clear up his noggin'."
Milno suggested.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2016, 12:31:35 pm »

Waiting for the generals' decision, Maurice decided to write a single message to all his friends and supporters that might have been waiting on the trial outcome. Or even unaware of it at all.

Quote from: Maurice->League of Friends
The trial is almost ending, and hopefully I won't be executed this time.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2016, 01:34:05 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:08 pm »

((For the record, Steve Saint wasn't on the list. (No really, would he himself consider Maurice's friend?) :3 Oh well. Doesn't matter.))

Giving the incoming message but a short glance, Maurice ignores it and returns to standing at attention before the Generals.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:31:45 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »

"Yeah, I was waiting for your opinion on my first points before going into this; he should lose that science leadership due to his unstable state and should be kept away from alien fuckery unless there's a very good reason, or any kind of mind fuckery to be more precise. Like I said before, he's likely to end up possessed by the next alien or magic fuckery because he'll try the same thing again. Sure, this time it was someone else who fucked things up but he could've done it himself."

"He was a good doctor, so he should be put back into the field to stitch people up. Might clear up his noggin'."
Milno suggested.

"So, how about this for a verdict then:

'After examining the evidence, we have come to the conclusion that the person primarily responsible for the Lurker incident was Morul. However, we also have reason to believe that the conduct of the mission's leader Maurice was such that it facilitated the events to a large degree, and that his overall demeanor is considered not adequate for his current position or missions of this type. In light of this, we have decided his shock implant will be put back, and that he is relieved from his position on Hep, with the position to be filled by someone decided upon at a later date. He will also stay with the Sword unless permission to return to Hep is given, or for a mission. He is not allowed to go on missions that would deal with the anomalous, xeno, or 'space magic' unless he is allowed to explicitly. Finally, he now has been judged for his actions, and anyone who tries to dispense street/mob justice will be punished severely.'

Anything else?"

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2016, 04:48:33 pm »

"There is some confusion among us on whether the tokens due to our late teammates are to be split amongst surviving members by Maurice, can you make a verdict so we can stop arguing?"
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2016, 03:21:09 am »

"How many tokens are we talking here, and how many of you that want them are there in total?"

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2016, 04:31:03 am »

Hearing the question, Maurice replied in a detached, uninterested voice without turning a head, still gazing into empty space, waiting for the verdict.

Two lost teammates, plus my share, voluntarily relinquished - if you haven't done so yet for me. Distributed to seven teammates. With standard mission pay of 5 tokens equals to 2 extra tokens per person, and 1 extra, which I'd suggest giving to Konrad as the pilot and the person who got us the spaceship.

...If you'd want my recommendations on the matter, of course.
Past Sigs

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2016, 12:04:08 pm »

"Sounds good; maybe add a clause that there's still some hope, so he doesn't freak out but also doesn't make him try to 'fix' things doing even worse shit, though." Milno added.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2016, 01:35:02 pm »

"Hmm, yeah, good idea."
Miya looks at the crowd as he reads the verdict.

"After examining the evidence, we have come to the conclusion that the person primarily responsible for the Lurker incident was Morul. However, we also have reason to believe that the conduct of the mission's leader Maurice was such that it facilitated the events to a large degree, and that his overall demeanor is considered not adequate for his current position or missions of this type. In light of this, we have decided his shock implant will be put back, and that he is relieved from his position on Hep, with the position to be filled by someone decided upon at a later date. He will also stay with the Sword unless permission to return to Hep is given, or for a mission. He is not allowed to go on missions that would deal with the anomalous, xeno, or 'space magic' unless he is allowed to explicitly. All that said, we do believe that there is still hope for his future with ARM, provided he proves that he learned from this experience and does not act rash in a misguided attempt to fix what has happened. Finally, he now has been judged for his actions, and anyone who tries to dispense street/mob justice after this will be punished severely.

Court dismissed."

Miya now takes on a more informal tone as the hangar doors open.

"Now go buy what you need and get your asses podded when you're ready, we have people to save."

"There is some confusion among us on whether the tokens due to our late teammates are to be split amongst surviving members by Maurice, can you make a verdict so we can stop arguing?"
Hearing the question, Maurice replied in a detached, uninterested voice without turning a head, still gazing into empty space, waiting for the verdict.

Two lost teammates, plus my share, voluntarily relinquished - if you haven't done so yet for me. Distributed to seven teammates. With standard mission pay of 5 tokens equals to 2 extra tokens per person, and 1 extra, which I'd suggest giving to Konrad as the pilot and the person who got us the spaceship.

...If you'd want my recommendations on the matter, of course.

"Yes, you can divide the ten tokens from your dead comrades among one another. Maurice can also donate his pay, if he wants to, though that's not obligatory. Dividing can be done by team consensus, I'm sure you can quickly work it out, if not I'll do it myself."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2016, 02:10:54 pm »

Quote from: To Marice, from Brother Lars
I wish you well, my good friend.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2016, 04:23:52 pm »

Hearing the verdict, a dark, sad expression creeped on Maurice's face. Taking a few steps back in shock, he took off his helmet and shook his head.

I... see. So I'm innocent, but not quite enough, and you suddenly don't trust me anymore?

Taking off his trusty Twitchblade - which he has never really managed to put to good use, he stuffed it in his helmet in frustration, and shook his head again.

Damnation! He threw his helmet in anger backwards, then sighed.

Well, I guess... - he turned on the spot just in time to catch a burlap sack flying in his direction - ... it's good that I need not fear your sentence?

Allow me to make a few announcements. First: As of today's morning, Hephaestus Administration had an emergency council, and, in anticipation of political danger from ARM, the position of Supreme Administrator was restored.

Steve!..
"I, Maurice Sanctor, do solemnly and sincerely swear that I will truly and faithfully, to the best of my knowledge and judgement, lead the Staff of Hephaestus, govern the People of Hephaestus, uphold the Law of Steve and the Will of Humanity, execute the power and trust reposed in me as Supreme Administrator of Hephaestus. So help me Mistress."

Under the Articles of Agreement between the first Supreme Administrator, Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis, Hephaestus is autonomous territory, with its head, Supreme Administrator, directly answering to Steve and Steve alone. I'm afraid you don't have the power to enforce that sentence - only Steve does.

Second!.. Steve, as you have witnessed, I have undergone a trial of peers, and was found largely innocent. The only crime they charge me with is that of daring to act. As such, I believe I am completely and fully innocent before you. With that, I would like to petition for being admitted to the Board of Generals. Not just to reconcile Hephaestus and ARM military wings of humanity - but to fill Jim's seat.

I might not be physically powerful, but I would more than make up for it with spiritual strength. I have proven and demonstrated my bravery in the mission and this trial. And, as you have seen from the honesty of the statements I made - often to my detriment, as the verdict showed - I do possess a simple, if brutal, moral sense and duty. My comrades have repeatedly seen me charge first into battle, to protect them and batter my way to victory no matter the cost. I know where my loyalties lie, and would not balk at any price to save and to protect Humanity. I have a distinctive tactical mind of my own, as Miyamoto can bear witness - as well as an aptitude for strategic planning on the biggest scales possible. My mentor is Dr.VonNost himself, and he personally accepted me as a student. I
could be the hero general ARM has missed since Jim died - and, should fortune smile upon me, I might also rival his wizardly powers. On the Board of Generals, you have a man of competence and caution, you have a man of reason and moderation; would you not benefit from a man of drive and action?..

I do not ask you to make this decision lightly. Take the time you need, test my resolve and ability if you need. For I fully intend to bring you
- he raised the burlap sack lying on his hand, and slowly unwrapped the cover, careful not to touch it - the beating, burning heart of Timmy's magic, tamed and tempered by human will - or die trying.

For this is another Timmy's Orb.
He held the translucent, star-dotted sphere on his palm, careful to keep it under the layer of burlap.

And that is the third announcement: I am in possession of Timmy's Orb... Maurice slowly threw the closed sack down to the floor and held against it lightly with his foot, standing proudly. ... and I am not going to use it.

I am not going to use it aboard the Sword. I am not going so much as lay a finger on it, or speak, or even
think the W-word. It is too dangerous. Miyamoto, Milno, if you asked yourselves, whether I could ever willingly endanger human lives, you'd have an answer that either proved how little you know me, or how unreasonable was your fear of me.

For I am not a madman, or a power-hungry maniac, or a beast, or however you have pictured me. I will not even put up a fight - I trust my fate wholly in Steve's hands now.
Maurice smiled wryly, then sadly. For that is what differs us from the beasts, from power-hungry maniacs, from madmen - the reason and the sense of duty. Which you wrongly believed I lacked. I will take it all what you will do to me. Because sacrificing your lives, or lives aboard this ship, or on Hephaestus, simply is wrong if there is another choice - and here I found one. Accept Steve's judgement.

And here I thought I'd rather die fighting than give up the fight. I guess, being a martyr is just the next step on the Mistresses road to salvation...

So, Steve? Will you disregard the articles of your agreement with Simus, and let them have their so-called justice upon me? Will you let them foolishly squander a useful asset, a man that might actually be capable of what he set out do, and is perfectly willing to lay down his life in pursuit of the greater good for Humanity?

Or will you honour your agreement and let me bring Hephaestus to prosperity and peace in your name, as binds me my new duty? Will you consider a man of great duty and burning passion a possibly useful addition to the Board? Will you let me peacefully finish my quest - perhaps the most significant experiment at gaining a new "more-than-human" agent for humanity ever since the nine have undergone their operation? Will you let me try to bring you a new power - one that could be crucial in protecting and saving the Humanity and the Origin?

You know, this is a pretty big question for Steve.

Past Sigs

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2016, 04:34:29 pm »

((Oh snap. Now that's a surprise!))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:15 pm »

Pan, still flaoting along the hangar, listens to Maurice's speech impassivly. He adresses the doctor, shiny mask betraying no emotion.

"Really, doctor? You're going to threaten with a Timmy Orb and make a power grab right now, when we're scrambling to evacuate?"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14