Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006724 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #11460 on: February 12, 2022, 04:45:16 am »

Your condolences have been noted and converted to social credit points.
+20 social credit. You have been rewarded some bing qilin

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11461 on: February 12, 2022, 04:49:40 am »

There arent enough points to mend my social credit in glorious china.

I have dared suggest that the western slander ghat he glorious president xi and a certain disney bear have an uncanny resemblance might have merit.

;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:12:05 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11462 on: February 12, 2022, 07:01:03 am »

Our Dutch government,and the German, Belgian, British and Canadian governments now also have urged all their citizens to immediatly leave the Ukraine, stating the safety situation is rapidly declining.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/kabinet-roept-nederlanders-op-om-onmiddellijk-te-vertrekken-uit-oekraine~b5171fee/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11463 on: February 12, 2022, 10:30:27 am »

We now have a trucker protest in The Hague. They have blockaded the city centre for hours.
The city mayor has ordered them to leave, or face their trucks being towed away and the costs charged to their person, saying that they have been given enough time to make their protest statements, despite their action being unannounced and without permit (yes, in our Vogon country, if you want to protest, you go to the city municipality, state that you want to protest and where, how many people you are expecting, and if you brought the correct colour of application form, the city will give you a permit, possibly with location restrictions).

The truckers seem unimpressed and most say they will not be going anywhere.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11464 on: February 12, 2022, 10:53:28 am »

This might be a good time to try to obsolesce the trucker profession by greatly investing in freight trains and rail networks. They consume a disproportionate amount of gasoline compared to everyone else, and do the vast majority of the wear-n-tear road damage, atleast here in the US.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11465 on: February 12, 2022, 10:55:54 am »

Cant we send them all home on a technicality? Surely those are not private vehicles... They been targeting "work"cars that are registered in luxenburg over here (there are way too many)

Give em a big ticket and also let the insurances know how poorly they comply.

It would be joshua, but my country for one, dismantled huge parts of it's railway system to turn them into tourism bike lanes through nature. Many people in the region think they started salivating when they did the math on how much steel they could sell.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11466 on: February 12, 2022, 11:52:06 am »

Meanwhile in Paris, the French police have sent 7200 police officers to clear the Champs Elysée of truckers and protestors. Tear gas has been deployed.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11467 on: February 12, 2022, 02:32:31 pm »

This might be a good time to try to obsolesce the trucker profession by greatly investing in freight trains and rail networks. They consume a disproportionate amount of gasoline compared to everyone else, and do the vast majority of the wear-n-tear road damage, atleast here in the US.
I doubt they'll get obsolesced by rail due to logistics.

Production Plant -> Rail Station -> Rail Station -> Distribution Center -> Final Destination.

Now, self-driving trucks on the other hand...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11468 on: February 12, 2022, 03:55:53 pm »

In a slightly surprising turn of events, three out of four of our major government coaltion parties (VVD,CDA,D66) heeded the call from opposition party leader Jesse Klaver (Groen Links) to firmly state that they will not form any coalition with our country's two populist right wing anti-immigrant (PVV, lead by Geert Wilders) and alt-right similar and scarier nutters (FvD, lead by Thierry Baudet) parties.
This means they are excluded from governing on municipality level, on provincial level and future national government by cordon sanitaire.

The popularity of the two populist parties combined has been scarily growing. Public outrage was felt a month or so ago, when a FvD spokesman threatened a fellow member of parliament that 'your time will come and you will face tribunals' in a discussion about covid.

The current situation is part of the aftermath. The road to fascism is still a big NO-GO area.
In today's words of minster of Finance Sigrid Kaag (D66): "we will not govern with extremists".
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 04:05:00 pm by martinuzz »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11469 on: February 12, 2022, 04:35:09 pm »

I doubt they'll get obsolesced by rail due to logistics.

Production Plant -> Rail Station -> Rail Station -> Distribution Center -> Final Destination.

Now, self-driving trucks on the other hand...

Self-driving cars/trucks are seriously a pipe dream. There's so many potential points of failure, so many technical hurdles, so much potential for sabotage and incompetence, that self-driving anything seems to me to be totally and completely infeasible.

It would be much easier to rebuild every city with superior forms of public transit and railways. To use the logistical diagram you used, it's more than possible for the buildings to be forcefully combined.

Production Plant + Rail Station -> Rail Station + Distribution Center -> Final Destination.

The idea being to cut out the less efficient and more expensive trucks and cars whereever possible, and to use the more efficient and less expensive trains whereever possible, to maximize longterm sustainability. Once things are further down the logistical path, large trucks are no longer needed and can be replaced on the local level with smaller and less damaging forms of transport.

That sort of rebuilding and restructuring of society however... even if we weren't dealing with cantankerous and selfish Americans, that's a mean feat for anyone.

In a slightly surprising turn of events, three out of four of our major government coaltion parties (VVD,CDA,D66) heeded the call from opposition party leader Jesse Klaver (Groen Links) to firmly state that they will not form any coalition with our country's two populist right wing anti-immigrant (PVV, lead by Geert Wilders) and alt-right similar and scarier nutters (FvD, lead by Thierry Baudet) parties.
This means they are excluded from governing on municipality level, on provincial level and future national government by cordon sanitaire.

The popularity of the two populist parties combined has been scarily growing. Public outrage was felt a month or so ago, when a FvD spokesman threatened a fellow member of parliament that 'your time will come and you will face tribunals' in a discussion about covid.

The current situation is part of the aftermath. The road to fascism is still a big NO-GO area.
In today's words of minster of Finance Sigrid Kaag (D66): "we will not govern with extremists".

Man, I woulda thought EU Governments were way more sane and chill. I didn't know that even the saner countries were having to deal with an uptick in Fascist sentiment.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11470 on: February 12, 2022, 04:36:04 pm »

We now have a trucker protest in The Hague. They have blockaded the city centre for hours.
The city mayor has ordered them to leave, or face their trucks being towed away and the costs charged to their person, saying that they have been given enough time to make their protest statements, despite their action being unannounced and without permit (yes, in our Vogon country, if you want to protest, you go to the city municipality, state that you want to protest and where, how many people you are expecting, and if you brought the correct colour of application form, the city will give you a permit, possibly with location restrictions).

The truckers seem unimpressed and most say they will not be going anywhere.

Believe it or not, we have the same protest by truckers going on at the US- Canadian border.
And in the US we have the same laws regarding protests. It's what distinguishes a lawful protest from an unlawful one.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11471 on: February 12, 2022, 08:26:16 pm »

And in the US we have the same laws regarding protests. It's what distinguishes a lawful protest from an unlawful one.

"If the police shoot you, you're violent and deserve it"?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11472 on: February 12, 2022, 10:54:51 pm »

Nobody should be dismantling and forcibly breaking peaceful protests. Whether you agree with them or not. This is highly problematic. I see a lot of people talking about the importance of civil disobedience and the protection of demonstrations while it's things they have knee-jerk support for. Now that it's something that doesn't align with their particular views it's all about obsoleting the profession and sending them all home and whatnot.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11473 on: February 13, 2022, 06:29:43 am »

The wheat is usually easy to separate from the chaff... The kind of activists I'm sympathetic to, they'll usually have structured demands, possibly figureheads or non-profits, that work out those demands and make information about it available to the public.

Then there are those bastard fronts, that have nor hand nor foot nor head on the shoulders. They will usually protest for something asininly unanimous, or just plain impossible such as:

-"Against holy warriors" (who was even for it in the first place raise your hand, might as well do a protest against bad weather)
-No matter how much milk we overproduce you need to guarantee a good price for it

The thing is if these are your concerns there are ways to achieve your goal without antagonising the public for nothing:

-Religious organisations that organise explicitly cross-religious events.
-Farmers over here stuck together, stopped selling their milk on the open markets, opened their own production chain, everybody now buys their milk, the people WANT to drink the milk from the cows they see looking out their windows, not some industrial farming product from far away. Unless you're like that poor that you rely on discounter ramen for nutrition, you buy their milk, everbody here understands the importance of it .

Now to our truckers: if they feel that persecuted by this "new world order" they wouldn't be holding their ugly faces into cameras, they'd be organising a black market like the french resistance, where people can shop and cough on eachother however they want. But they are thowing a temper tantrum, and in the act of doing so, are barely able to contain their larger political worldframe brushing off on the thing. If their cause was legitimate, which is it not, they'd still be doing it a disservice, it's not like anybody lacks awareness of the existence of the pandemic, or health mesures.

A good rule of thumb: if there material involved that is tens of tons heavy and tenthousands of dollars expensive, you are not looking at helpless individuals.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 06:32:59 am by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11474 on: February 13, 2022, 06:41:07 am »

'A fascist up-tick' or growing discontent at restrictive covid measures?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 793