Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006787 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7950 on: April 19, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »

How can I be a remoaner when I'm neither British nor residing in the UK?  ???
I basically sit on the sidelines and watch the political drama  unfold with morbid interest  :P
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: April 19, 2018, 06:44:05 pm »

I wasn't aware that "remoaner" and "morbid" aren't synonyms :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:33 am »

I did not read that correctly at all at first.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: April 20, 2018, 08:30:23 am »

I did not read that correctly at all at first.

Yeah, I was like 'owner of iceland?' at first.

I assume they did it for the environmental impact that palm oil farming has.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:46 am »

Sad part is that it's probably going to work because people are gonna see the attacks and not make the two second thinking effort of asking the question who and why is attacking him.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: April 20, 2018, 08:39:32 am »

If I were ever in  United Kingdom, Spain, Ireland, Jersey, Czech Republic, Iceland, Guernsey, Malta, Portugal or Libya, I would too.

And yeah, Iceland does have three stores in Iceland, apparently, which is pretty funny. The Czech Republic and Libya were a bit out there too, but wikipedia says they exist.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: April 20, 2018, 08:41:11 am »

But has anyone really asked the question of why is attacking him?

I was under the impression that most people knew about palm oil being a bad thing these days, so...Yeah. It's like Enron trying to smear someone.

Also... "Faces of Palm Oil"? What a terrible name for a campaign. That just conjures images of acne to my mind.

And... Iceland is the name of a store chain? Huh. Learn something new every day!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: April 20, 2018, 08:49:58 am »

Thing is, it's much easier to attack and fling shit than it is to defend against it (or ignore it for that matter), it's especially true these days where you can churn it out and spreat it around before folks have time to react.

And sure, people are berating them about it on their tweet, but that's folks who cared enough to respond to it, how many people are out there that just shared it without checking it or folks who think that just because the dude is rich and powerful he has to be a scumbag and finally here's someone calling him out on it.

While I'd love to see it blow up in their faces in a spectacular fashion I seriously doubt they'll have any consequences from this, aside from not being stocked by a single supermarket chain (tho that was happening anyways and I doubt they changed his mind about it).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: April 20, 2018, 04:57:52 pm »

Palm oil, I think I can guess what is happening. Having looked into the history and mechanisms of the industry. They run on ruthless exploitation and totally unethical practices. Corruption, murder, waste dumping, excreta. They are the agribusiness version of the bloody pat of the mining industry. I'm going to guess they are using the "jobs" argument. Conveniently ignoring the fact that they employ people in slave conditions and destroyed their livelihood effectively forcing them to work for them. I hate it when people make the "jobs" argument. Ignoring all context and in general acting like company shills. Using the same excuses for ignoring bad practices and work conditions that have been made sense the start of industry and are no more valid today then back then.

Short version, palm oil is a super evil industry. Don't feel sorry for them. Their arguments are all deceptive lies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: April 22, 2018, 12:02:46 pm »

Over 300 French prominents have published a manifesto in newspaper Le Parisien, against antisemitism in France.
They write that 'in France, the country of Emile Zola and Clemenceau, a silent ethnic cleansing is taking place'. Since 2006, 11 jews have been murdered by radical muslims.
In just 10 years time, over 10% of the jewish population of Paris have fled the country, mostly to Israel.
Especially from the empoverished banlieux around Paris, many jews have moved out.
France is a 'theatre of murderous antisemitism that gets way too little attention'.

Among the signatories are philosophers (Elisabeth Badinter, Alain Finkielkraut, Luc Ferry), politicians (former president Sarkozy, former premier Valls, former mayor of Paris Delanoë), and artists (Carla Bruni, Charles Aznavour, Gérard Depardieu, Françoise Hardy)

In France, a jew is 25 times more at risk of becoming victim of insult or assault than a muslim. Yet, for some reason there is more media attention for islamophobia than there is for antisemitism, according to the signatories.
'Why this silence? Because islamic radicalization - and the antisemitism it brings - is considered by a large part of the French elite to be an expression of social revolt.
A wrong interpretation, because the same radicalization is also to be seen in completely different nations like Denmark, Afghanistan, Mali, and Germany'.

'Next to that there is the radical, antizionistic left, which paints the torturers of jews as victims of the system.
Simple electoral statistics also play a role. There are ten times as many muslim voters as there are jewish voters in France'.

The concern about antisemitism in islamic circles is not new to France.
In 2006, the jewish man Ilan Halimi was kidnapped and killed by a group calling themselves 'the Gang of Barbarians'. The gang members, all muslims, genuinely thought that all jews are rich, and thought they could get a ransom.
In 2012 Mohamed Mereh shot 3 children and a teacher at a jewish school in Toulouse.
In 2015, Amedi Coulibaly killed 4 people in a jewish supermarket in Paris.
In 2017, 65-year old Sarah Halimi was tortured and killed by her muslim neighbor, while he was recting verses from the Qu'ran.
Not very long ago, 85-year old Mireille Knoll was murdered in Paris. Main suspect is her muslim neighbor who thought she had money because she is jewish.

At the silent march to honour Mireille Knoll, imams also were present. The fact that those needed police protection from their own flock says enough about how French muslims are terrorised by islamists.

The signatories of the manifesto demand that not just the French state, but also muslims will have to do more to banish anti-semitism from islam.

'We demand that those verses in the Qu'ran that call for killing or otherwise punishing jews, christians, and unbelievers are scrapped from the Qu'ran by religious authorities, just like incoherence and antisemitism were removed from the Bible by the Second Vatican Council'.

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/manifeste-contre-le-nouvel-antisemitisme-21-04-2018-7676787.php

Inb4 France bans the Qu'ran
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: April 22, 2018, 01:11:57 pm »

That is... An interesting request. I mean, there have always been interpretations and reinterpretations of the hadiths (see: moderate-ish imams agreeing that Muslims in Norway should follow the spirit of Ramadan, and treat the day as having however many hours of daylight that Mecca has, rather than the 23 or so hours they can end up experiencing), but I feel like that particular wording is just going to spark a bunch more angry responses.

And damn... You've gotta be some real kind of genius to kidnap someone because you wanna get some of that secret Jew gold.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: April 22, 2018, 02:36:19 pm »

That's an impossible demand and they know it. There is no caliph (and only ISIS boys claim the position and fuck them) or any other religious authority over all muslims. Radical imams will keep doing their stuff as they have no authority above them.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: April 22, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »

Sad part is that it's probably going to work because people are gonna see the attacks and not make the two second thinking effort of asking the question who and why is attacking him.
Judging by the replies to their tweet about it, it's not working. Everyone's calling them out on fallacious arguments and outright bullshit they're peddling. Meanwhile, a lot of people have been stating that in support, they're going to be shopping at Iceland.

I'll probably go visit it next time I go and do some shopping.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one Jopax. While, greatorder, I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture here: attacking him is free publicity for the cause, e.g. the Steissand Effect. People aren't going to boycott the shop because some company smears his name, more people now know the name "Iceland", and who the managing director is, than did before, and that he wants to remove some obscure food additive, while they want to keep it. If something is being removed, people these days will just assume it's probably not a good thing by default, or otherwise they have to wonder why people are talking about removing it. Especially something like an oil or a fat, since "fat is bad" has been drummed into people for 5 decades.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:56:13 pm by Reelya »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: April 22, 2018, 04:46:47 pm »

-snip-
While the antisemitism is obvious and troubling, as is this parisian exodus... I'm not sure it's reached actual ethnic cleansing levels. 11 kills in 12 years is not exactly a high count.

Also what Kagus and STT said about their request. Those 300+ proeminents are asking for trouble by wording it like that, too.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: April 22, 2018, 05:38:00 pm »

People being driven from their homes are still an ethnic cleansing even if few of them are being murdered.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 793