Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006664 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #7800 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:26 pm »

Russians are also notorious tea-sippers, though I've heard of some also enjoying dark roasted covfefe.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:46 am »

After two years amidst the UK and ROI I've come to the conclusion that the take on tea around these parts is not terribly picky.  For the most part people drink this "breakfast" black tea blend.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: March 14, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »

May's speech on CNN: https://youtu.be/xSdlqwbMxk4
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: March 14, 2018, 12:17:14 pm »

May's speech on CNN: https://youtu.be/xSdlqwbMxk4

/start capslock *RAILS AGAINST YOUTUBE CAPTIONS NO LONGER BEING PROVIDED* /end capslock

And before anybody comments, NO, theres no option in the options either.

edit: It wasn't at you martinuzz, just youtube in general.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: March 14, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »

In other news, Dutch-British food and health megacorporation Unilever, which survived a hostile takeover bid by Kraft Heinz with the promise to it's shareholders that it would get rid of it's double headquarters to reduce overhead, made their final decision known. They will abandon their headquarters in London, and move all the staff to Rotterdam.
The company says this has nothing to do with the Brexit. The decision was made because Dutch law has better protection mechanisms against hostile foreign takeovers.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: March 16, 2018, 03:31:03 am »

Sorry, but I need to express my frustration. Thus thread is usually a last resort where some balanced opinions are being exchanged (sorry, not the opinions are always balanced - some are, but the exchange is usually), but the incident with the russian spy and the nerve gas?
I understand that reddit and media outlets and all main stream is pointing at Russia. It kind of fits with the general "we are the good guys"-exceptionalism of the west rethoric. That the same is going on here is saddening. Sorry UK, but give me some evidence. At least a little more than a Soviet formula that is on Wikipedia. Yes Russia is evil, but since when are the Western states any better? Just remembering weapons of mass destruction and Iraq.

All I see is that there is a heating propaganda war between Russia and the West. I refuse to take sides because I won't chose whose lies I believe. I believe instead, as an informed guess, that there will never be any truth in the public about a story involving a double agent, cold war rethorics, Russia, a poison attack that likely only can be orchestrated by a state actor (or one of their agencies). So, we better accept the ignorance, and look at what is happening instead.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: March 16, 2018, 03:36:04 am »

If you're just making a general statement of frustration with no apparent effort to really analyze an alternative source, are you really being less ignorant than everyone else? I understand lack of trust in the media, but when all you're putting out is the statement that everything must be lies from the outset, that's rather more biased and unsubstantiated than what you're claiming to rally against, isn't it?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: March 16, 2018, 04:22:00 am »

I'm sorry the UK didn't deliver a vial of novichok to you to give you evidence. I mean, we know Russia has killed people brazenly in the UK in the past (including the use of polonium). We know (well, the UK knows) that the nerve agent used is one that was developed in the USSR. We know that the manufacture of high-purity nerve agents is beyond that of a rogue group, so the agent in question was produced by a state.

From this, Russia is by far the most likely culprit, followed by some non-state actor (and I'm speaking of real non-state actor, not the para-state actors like the IRA or Wagner that Russia likes to use) that got it from the former USSR, which is exactly what may has been saying.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: March 16, 2018, 04:51:56 am »

Yes Russia is evil, but since when are the Western states any better?
Oh hey, this thing has two main sides to it! Therefore, we can logically deduce that both sides are roughly equal and opposite.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:08 am »

Talk about irony, Trumps past business and unwillingness to divest from his company is getting Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Varadkar in some political hot water. However, it's possible Varadkar's association with Trump while he was tourism minister would have gotten attention regardless whether Trump divested from his business or not.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: March 17, 2018, 04:58:57 am »

Russia expelled 23 British diplomats and cancelled the plans for a new British consulate in St. Petersburg, in response to the UK expelling 23 Russian diplomats and other sanctions.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: March 17, 2018, 05:08:33 am »

Ok, sorry, I will try again in a more civilized way :)
What appears strange to me is how readily a lot of people jump to readily blame Russia. It is obvious to suspect Russia and to ask for clarification, but putting ultimatums out like it's being done now - I just defies common sense to me, to start the cold war so readily again.
What would be the logical procedure is to bring the case to the OPCW for a challenge investigation against Russia, and not doing so can be interpreted as not really being interested in the truth, but rather in the conflict itself. It would be absolutely critical to see Russia's reaction to such a neutral inspection.

I find it troubling how fast France and Germany went to support the UK in this. It's not surprising though. Because of the UK's confrontation course with Russia, it is a kind of "be with or against us" situation (and then the choice is obvious).

Who did it?
Nobody knows.

Who could have done it by mere capability?
I think many countries are able to fabricate Novichock at least in small amounts. Apparently it's been manufactured  by the Soviets in Usbekistan until the 1990s, and the facilities where being dismantled with the help of the United states (wikipedia). To really get any credible insight about where the particular samples were produced, again, such samples should be given to the OPCW.

Who would have gained from it?
Putin? For his election, absolutely. T. May? Obviously, too. Finally, the country (and other countries) are behind her. And there are other obvious candidates whose agenda would benefit from the outcome of this. And there might be much deeper reasons that will never be obvious to the public, so for us, it is really hard to ask the question for who has which motive, and I would consider it to be far from answered.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:12:04 am by Evil Knievel »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: March 17, 2018, 05:45:56 am »

What appears strange to me is how readily a lot of people jump to readily blame Russia. It is obvious to suspect Russia and to ask for clarification, but putting ultimatums out like it's being done now - I just defies common sense to me, to start the cold war so readily again.
Looks more like Russia the Putin maffia is the one desperatly trying to reinvigorate the Cold War.

What would be the logical procedure is to bring the case to the OPCW for a challenge investigation against Russia, and not doing so can be interpreted as not really being interested in the truth, but rather in the conflict itself. It would be absolutely critical to see Russia's reaction to such a neutral inspection.
Taking the case to the OPCW for independent investigation is exactly what the UK has done. What do you mean 'not doing so'?

I think many countries are able to fabricate Novichock at least in small amounts. Apparently it's been manufactured  by the Soviets in Usbekistan until the 1990s, and the facilities where being dismantled with the help of the United states (wikipedia). To really get any credible insight about where the particular samples were produced, again, such samples should be given to the OPCW.
The UK has already said that they can provide samples to the OPCW. They did not, however, feel inclined to provide samples to Russia, or start a joint investigation with Russia like they tried with the polonium case. The experience there was that the 'cooperation' from Russia mostly turned out to be delaying and denying access.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:52:18 am by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7813 on: March 17, 2018, 09:10:17 pm »

Sorry, but I need to express my frustration. Thus thread is usually a last resort where some balanced opinions are being exchanged (sorry, not the opinions are always balanced - some are, but the exchange is usually), but the incident with the russian spy and the nerve gas?
I understand that reddit and media outlets and all main stream is pointing at Russia. It kind of fits with the general "we are the good guys"-exceptionalism of the west rethoric.
Reddit is worthless cancer, media is worthless vomit, the UK does not subscribe to good guy exceptionalism (having rather the opposite problem, being absolute in their conviction of their own innate evil).

That the same is going on here is saddening. Sorry UK, but give me some evidence. At least a little more than a Soviet formula that is on Wikipedia. Yes Russia is evil, but since when are the Western states any better? Just remembering weapons of mass destruction and Iraq.

All I see is that there is a heating propaganda war between Russia and the West. I refuse to take sides because I won't chose whose lies I believe. I believe instead, as an informed guess, that there will never be any truth in the public about a story involving a double agent, cold war rethorics, Russia, a poison attack that likely only can be orchestrated by a state actor (or one of their agencies). So, we better accept the ignorance, and look at what is happening instead.
Refuse ignorance as nothing short of deliberate ignorance, the war ceases to be a propaganda war once innocents start getting publicly killed in deliberate, dramatic fashion.
Issues of morality are one thing, Moscow's track record of eliminating dissidents internally is business as usual. Yet once Moscow begins interfering in the internal affairs of foreign nations, when it is eliminating citizens under British protection in such a sloppy manner - using nerve agents which even result in British casualties, it is nothing short of a call to war.

This is not the first time Putin has ordered an assassination on UK soil in such a way as to be obvious; I do not doubt that Putin has methods to discreetly assassinate someone, so to be so brazen speaks volumes of his disrespect for the British state. The danger therein lies when there are ambiguities as to the thresholds of both states, of what they are willing to tolerate. One of our police officers may not survive this attack, so you might be able to empathize with why the UK cannot respond with anything but a resumption of the cold war - certainly, I believe Theresa May has not responded nearly harshly enough, and if she has, has not made these responses public yet. The ultimatum in question was rather simple one, obligating Russia with little except an explanation of how one of their weapons ended up getting deployed on British soil. This weapon was only manufactured in the USSR, which means that there are two possibilities: Either the weapon in question was smuggled out during the collapse of the Soviet Union and deployed by a third party, or it was deployed by the Russian federation. To ask Putin how it came to be that this occurred is a courtesy, a last chance to rectify the fuck up. That chance has been lost, sadly.

I see much talk on Sputnik and RT, both of which are activated media assets of Moscow, of how the UK is disinterested in the truth because they do not want to submit any sample to the OPCW. Of course this is entirely false, the UK is sending a sample to the OPCW. Furthermore, while you and I may be alike in our distrust of anything the UK government says, the analysis from our military personnel in chemical warfare research was stellar, and they refrained from speaking on conjecture, only on conclusive evidence. Consequently they have my trust, and we shall see what is concluded with the OPCW. Furthermore, there is something rather hypocritical in Moscow accusing Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia and even the UK (with no evidence!!!) of manufacturing the weapon produced by them, when none of them have a track record of murdering Russian defectors under their protection.

I find it troubling how fast France and Germany went to support the UK in this. It's not surprising though. Because of the UK's confrontation course with Russia, it is a kind of "be with or against us" situation (and then the choice is obvious).
I'm puzzled by the framing that the UK is on a warpath with Russia, collecting France and Germany for a confrontation course. Can provocation be answered with anything but confrontation, when the provocations so brazenly disregard the state involved? It is abundantly clear that Putin holds zero respect in the credibility or seriousness of the Westminster government, thus the safest thing to do is seek confrontation and establish clear boundaries between peace and war. The success of confrontation is such that it deters anyone from making stupid moves under the impression that the other side will not react, once it is clear the other side will react, that impression is removed. I hate this state of affairs, I certainly had hoped that Russia and the UK could return to their historically friendly relations, but it is for the time being never going to be reality for fault of Putin's fears.

Who would have gained from it?
Putin? For his election, absolutely. T. May? Obviously, too. Finally, the country (and other countries) are behind her. And there are other obvious candidates whose agenda would benefit from the outcome of this. And there might be much deeper reasons that will never be obvious to the public, so for us, it is really hard to ask the question for who has which motive, and I would consider it to be far from answered.

"traitors or those who simply hate their country in their free time": "Don't choose Britain as a place to live."
Public execution before an election to make it clear opposition will be dealt with. Pretty obvious benefit for Putin, a public execution to make an example of a traitor. If Theresa May was going to false flag the UK to distract everyone from something (her failing political career, the English child trafficking scandal, inability to actually leave the EU all being possible examples I have heard), I don't think she would be so daft as to false flag in such a way as to have zero plausible deniability. Her claim is that this nerve agent, one which she explicitly identifies, is one that is verifiably Russian in origin. If she was going to false flag the UK, she would pick a generic nerve agent (or really any generic weapon), and she would pick a public target - not someone entirely unknown to the public.

And it is rather tiring as time goes on, continually trying to be cordial and diplomatic with a partner who does little but unleash ransomware upon you. Is cyberwarfare not enough? It has to be chemical warfare too? Saddening times.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: March 18, 2018, 04:33:25 am »

Looks more like Russia the Putin maffia is the one desperatly trying to reinvigorate the Cold War.
Maybe in this case, Putin is doing it. Overall, I suspect that the project Cold War II is driven from East AND West likewise (Syria looks like a proxy war to me).
Taking the case to the OPCW for independent investigation is exactly what the UK has done. What do you mean 'not doing so'?
I was looking for that. True, the UK said to provide samples, but there is no mention whether the UK has called for an investigation. As far as I could find out, this is unknown at present.
The UK has already said that they can provide samples to the OPCW. They did not, however, feel inclined to provide samples to Russia, or start a joint investigation with Russia like they tried with the polonium case. The experience there was that the 'cooperation' from Russia mostly turned out to be delaying and denying access.
Yes that seems all we know and all I could find out. I found sources where journalists were wondering whether an investigation had been initiated/requested, but no answer. If you have one, please do provide it!
Diplomats expelled on both sides, ultimatums thrown around, alliances invoked, talk about article 5. Really, an investigation should go first.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 793