Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006743 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6435 on: August 08, 2017, 08:59:31 pm »

Is... his Wife at least super qualified and not in anyway stinking of nepotism?

Well, the French already have (and had) corruption scandals with nepotism and so, it's understandable that they'd be all salty about it

Yeah, didn't they just go through this with the through this with the last president?
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:06 pm »

I mean making your wife your secretary isn't a terrible idea. Having someone in synch with you would make a fine secretary.

Except... You know... there is nothing to suggest they will or even need to actually fill that position and it is the tax payer's money... So I'd probably prefer them not to hire their family members for government positions where only they can fire them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:36 pm »

Is... his Wife at least super qualified and not in anyway stinking of nepotism?

Well, the French already have (and had) corruption scandals with nepotism and so, it's understandable that they'd be all salty about it

Yeah, didn't they just go through this with the through this with the last president?

I don't know about Hollande or Sarkozy, though Sarkozy did have some troubles, but one of the candidates, Fillon, got hit with the same kind of corruption scandal.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6438 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:20 pm »

I mean making your wife your secretary isn't a terrible idea.
Not sure if ooc bait

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: August 08, 2017, 09:18:37 pm »

Not sure if ooc bait

I mean in surface logic. JUST in terms of "I need a secretary... My Wife would be a good candidate"

Unless you mean like... Secretary of state.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: August 09, 2017, 01:08:47 am »

1) Brigitte Macron's official role as First Lady would have been unpaid, (although with a separate budget for staff, like in the US)
2) To all of you asking if she's qualified, what the fuck do you think are the qualifications needed for being First Lady?
3) You can't really compare that to naminating family member for existing paid position.
4) As far as I know, it didn't go further than have a working group look into potential status for Brigitte ( or releasing a trial balloon ), they backed down.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: August 09, 2017, 03:34:21 am »

Not sure if ooc bait
Neo is far too literal to post ooc bait.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: August 10, 2017, 08:58:14 am »

Not sure where I'd post Turkey stuff, but, Turkey has gone cray-cray.

Arresting people over percieved fashion faux pas? Height of paranoia, yeesh. Maybe Erdogan should check if any of his clothes are made by American brands if they're going to go there with paranoia. Might give him a mental conniption fit.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: August 10, 2017, 10:10:13 am »

Not sure where I'd post Turkey stuff, but, Turkey has gone cray-cray.

Arresting people over percieved fashion faux pas? Height of paranoia, yeesh. Maybe Erdogan should check if any of his clothes are made by American brands if they're going to go there with paranoia. Might give him a mental conniption fit.

Ohw shit like that have been going on for a while now.

People who cancelled their tv subscription after the government removed "Gullen linked channels" from the package were already considered enough Gullen supporter to fire them from their jobs.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: August 13, 2017, 08:56:10 am »

Three out of eight migrant rescue organisations in the Mediterranean have decided today to stop rescueing migrants, and keep their ship in harbour, because they can no longer guarantee the safety of their crew.
Doctors Without Borders, Save The Children, and Sea Watch will no longer send out ships.

They blame the Libyan coast guard's aggressive actions as the main reason for this decision. Since a few days, Libyan coats guard has started firing on the ngo ships when they get in / too close to Libyan waters.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: August 13, 2017, 09:03:40 am »

I wonder what the specific reason for Libya doing that is. I can get being frustrated by the NGOs enabling the smugglers, Italy is frustrated at them too, but firing on the NGO ships?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: August 13, 2017, 03:05:00 pm »

Well yeah. They won't fuck of peacefully, so what alternative do they have?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: August 13, 2017, 03:22:37 pm »

Literally everything other than shooting them? I mean warships are big and fast, not hard to get in the way of NGO ships entering their waters.

Demand a government presence on NGO ships in their waters.

Actually dealing with the human smugglers operating in your territory might also be a good idea.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: August 13, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »

Are we talking about just warning shots or is it more than just warning shots?

@hector:That could include keeping away the NGOs unintentionally enabling them, not that it makes it okay to fire at them and doesn't actually deal with the smugglers directly anyway.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: August 13, 2017, 03:40:32 pm »

Those NGO's and """""aid organizations""""" are just as complicit as the smugglers in Libya. Dealing with them, who make the last leg of the journey for people in the smuggling pipeline, is a necessary step, and thanks to the Coalition bombing their naval bases during the intervention they have to make do with a single frigate, a single minesweeper, and a handful of converted civilian vessels to guard their entire 1,770 kilometer long coastline. Again, if these organizations refuse to even consider listening to them, and the governments that're supposed to administer them refuse to rein them in, what other choice do they have? And anyway it's not like they're sinking them, just firing warning shots. 

And they are dealing with smugglers in Libya, to the best of their ability anyway, but the militia groups that control large portions of the country make their money from this. The government (at least in Tobruk, I dunno much about what happens in GNA territory) would love to cut off the financial pipeline to these groups, but they are simply not able. I feel like a broken record, but getting rid of Qaddafi was a mistake.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 793