Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1006808 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1710 on: April 12, 2016, 02:23:05 am »

What's that Varoufake thing?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:17 am »

It is a tasteless poem. A poem nonetheless. It rhymes, and it has metric (at least the german original version does).
It should fall completely under the freedom of arts. If this guy gets convicted for this, it's a big loss for the german constitutional state.

It's tasteless nonetheless, and infantile. It deserves a lot of criticism. But no legal action.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:27 am »

What's that Varoufake thing?

apparently Bohmermann manipulated/photogram-selected a picture in which Varoufakis seemed to be giving a katapygon "to Germany/EU/(insert target here)".  Turned out to be fake, but not before it was reported around by more mainstream press

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/19/i-faked-the-yanis-varoufakis-middle-finger-video-says-german-tv-presenter

EDIT: or maybe it wasn't faked? http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/giving-germany-the-middle-finger/388204/

Much confusion. so wow
So apparently a video in which Varoufakis might or might not have been giving the finger to the world was claimed by Bohrman as a fake. Which turned out to be not true. So it was a fake fake fake?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:31:53 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 12, 2016, 04:33:32 am »

Today, the Turkish vice-premier Numan Kurtulmus called the poem a "crime against humanity".

Hear, hear!

The german Justice department has already stated that they are not planning on convicting Böhmermann. If they get the assignment to prosectute from the government, they will only persue that to answer the question if he is guilty, but they will refuse to convict.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 12, 2016, 04:52:26 am »

Hate leaflets calling for killing of Ahmadi Muslims distributed across London.

Leaflets calling for members of the Ahmadi Muslim community to be killed have allegedly been distributed in universities, mosques and shopping centres in London.

Followers of the Muslim Ahmadi sect, which preaches a message of peace and tolerance, have long been subject to violent attacks and persecution in Pakistan, where they are branded worse than apostates by hardliners and forbidden by the state to call themselves Muslims.

Now the wave of persecution appears to have spread to the UK, with a man admitting in a public statement that he killed Ahmadi shopkeeper Asad Shah in Glasgow for disrespecting Islam. The unusual statement coincides with the distribution across London of leaflets calling for followers of the religion to be killed.
The "religion of peace" is so peaceful that a significant portion of its believers consider slightly different Muslims that preach peace and tolerance as worse than apostates and to be killed, if they don't "repent" and convert back to the normal Islam - and they actually do so.

europe is going on a ride

i want to get off mr. bones wild ride
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 12, 2016, 08:42:31 am »

The Varoufake thing was only possible due to how damn sloppy our journalists are working, so I say good he exposed that.
Wait, what? They reported on an event of which there was video evidence, and when presented with evidence that suggested it was fake, they reported on that. How is that exposing sloppiness, as opposed to just stright-up lying to get media attention?
It is a tasteless poem. A poem nonetheless. It rhymes, and it has metric (at least the german original version does).
It should fall completely under the freedom of arts. If this guy gets convicted for this, it's a big loss for the german constitutional state.

It's tasteless nonetheless, and infantile. It deserves a lot of criticism. But no legal action.
There is a law against it, and Böhmermann was aware of that. It would be a great loss to the German Rechtsstaat if there was no legal action, because that would mean putting day-to-day politics above the law. Just ask yourself: Would he be getting the same reaction for calling Obama a banana-lving cotton boy?

So apparently a video in which Varoufakis might or might not have been giving the finger to the world was claimed by Bohrman as a fake. Which turned out to be not true. So it was a fake fake fake?
Varoufakis flipped of Germany (not the world, Germany) at some event a couple years back, waaaayyy before he became a minister. This was dug up by some German talkshow, and subsequently overhyped (seriously, go look at the original - it's a triviality). The real kicker is that Varoufakis immediately opted for just straight-up lying to the world, claiming the video was fake and that the events depicted had never happened - and this at the height of German-Greek tension. Böhmermann then faked evidence that showed him/his team faking that middle finger, supposedly exculpating Varoufakis. Said evidence made quite a stir, but was quickly exposed to be false as well.

For some reason this is considered to be a stroke of genius by Böhmermann.

When you persecute literally 2000 people for insulting you, then you deserve to be insulted.
If you kill a lot of people, you deserve to die? Go buy a rifle and hunt down Erdogan, then, because insultng him is not nearly enough.

Flawless logic.
Glad to see you agree with me. Paying back injury with injury is a frightfully primitive impulse.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:44:35 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 12, 2016, 08:50:43 am »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 12, 2016, 08:53:34 am »

The poem is a direct reaction to the severe abuse of the laws to persecute people "insulting" the president by Erdogan.

Obama does not persecute people for insulting him in that way.

Someone a 1000 miles away insulting you does not hurt you. Getting put in jail several years and being abused by security forces for insulting the great leader destroys lives.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 12, 2016, 08:57:13 am »

Hate leaflets calling for killing of Ahmadi Muslims distributed across London.

Leaflets calling for members of the Ahmadi Muslim community to be killed have allegedly been distributed in universities, mosques and shopping centres in London.

Followers of the Muslim Ahmadi sect, which preaches a message of peace and tolerance, have long been subject to violent attacks and persecution in Pakistan, where they are branded worse than apostates by hardliners and forbidden by the state to call themselves Muslims.

Now the wave of persecution appears to have spread to the UK, with a man admitting in a public statement that he killed Ahmadi shopkeeper Asad Shah in Glasgow for disrespecting Islam. The unusual statement coincides with the distribution across London of leaflets calling for followers of the religion to be killed.
The "religion of peace" is so peaceful that a significant portion of its believers consider slightly different Muslims that preach peace and tolerance as worse than apostates and to be killed, if they don't "repent" and convert back to the normal Islam - and they actually do so.

europe is going on a ride

i want to get off mr. bones wild ride

This is why chaotic evil empires don't exist and collapse on themselves within a generation.
Without dictators regularly telling them to cut out with this crap they just fall into petty infighting over pretty much nothing but a slight difference in worldview.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:19:36 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 12, 2016, 09:07:46 am »

The poem is a direct reaction to the severe abuse of the laws to persecute people "insulting" the president by Erdogan.

Someone a 1000 miles away insulting you does not hurt you. Getting put in jail several years and being abused by security forces for insulting the great leader destroys lives.
How are Erdogan's policies relevant to the judicial assessment of Böhmermann's case? If I understand you correctly, you want to persecute crimes differently depending on who they hurt. That violates fundamental judicial norms.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 12, 2016, 09:20:15 am »

How are Erdogan's policies relevant to the judicial assessment of Böhmermann's case? If I understand you correctly, you want to persecute crimes differently depending on who they hurt. That violates fundamental judicial norms.

persecuting crimes differently depending on who they hurt is actually what Erdogan's policy IS.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 12, 2016, 10:12:52 am »

The Varoufake thing was only possible due to how damn sloppy our journalists are working, so I say good he exposed that.
Wait, what? They reported on an event of which there was video evidence, and when presented with evidence that suggested it was fake, they reported on that. How is that exposing sloppiness, as opposed to just stright-up lying to get media attention?
Böhmermann is hardly the only one who's lying to get media attention. That's the whole point – he's first lying and then pointing it out (as opposed to many liars who are never caught), so that maybe one day journalists learn to check their stories before spinning them into the next scandal.

Varoufakis flipped of Germany (not the world, Germany) at some event a couple years back, waaaayyy before he became a minister. This was dug up by some German talkshow, and subsequently overhyped (seriously, go look at the original - it's a triviality). The real kicker is that Varoufakis immediately opted for just straight-up lying to the world, claiming the video was fake and that the events depicted had never happened - and this at the height of German-Greek tension. Böhmermann then faked evidence that showed him/his team faking that middle finger, supposedly exculpating Varoufakis. Said evidence made quite a stir, but was quickly exposed to be false as well.
He did not "flip of Germany", he was making a point about how when Germany will finally be suffering the consequences of their economic misbehavior it will be okay for Greece to not care. Jauch just took the whole thing out of context and just assumed that this was meant to be a middle finger to Germany.
And that's why Böhmermann is completely right in making the whole thing as obviously ridiculous as it was in the first place.

I actually believe that persons of public interest who exert vast amounts of power should not be protected against attacks against their personality.
Taste my Paci-Fist

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 12, 2016, 10:28:59 am »

If I understand you correctly, you want to persecute crimes differently depending on who they hurt. That violates fundamental judicial norms.
would you demand equal punishment for a kid who pushes a classmate during recess and a guy who pushes a frail old lady in a stairwell? ...or someone who distributes genocidal leaflets in a mosque and a guy who insults the ego of megalomaniacal dictator?

your idea of equality before the law is skewed by your conservative catholic liberalism, helgo

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:14 am »

If I understand you correctly, you want to persecute crimes differently depending on who they hurt. That violates fundamental judicial norms.
would you demand equal punishment for a kid who pushes a classmate during recess and a guy who pushes a frail old lady in a stairwell? ...or someone who distributes genocidal leaflets in a mosque and a guy who insults the ego of megalomaniacal dictator?

your idea of equality before the law is skewed by your conservative catholic liberalism, helgo

I don't think the things you're equating are quite the the same things.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 12, 2016, 10:34:38 am »

I'm not equating them, I'm asking if it's right to equate them

...and it's not.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 793