Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Governorship - on the very frontier of civilization  (Read 8166 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Governorship - on the very frontier of civilization
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2016, 08:49:55 pm »

Purchases:

Buy 20 spears, 30 sets of leather cuirasses, 10 swords, 10 shields

We can train people long term ourselves, getting 30 bodies with weapons will be enough for now.

Hire one mason and 4 carpenters, double the cost to also buy tools and equipment for them to set up right away.

Hire 10 laborers.

Recruitment:

Recruit hunters, offer a deal for 5 years.  All food hunting is untaxed, hides bone and other products are taxed at 10%.

Offer land to farmers who might be interested in joining, second sons and poor landowners and all that.

See if there is anyone experienced in lumber harvesting who would like to get a grant to set up their own mill.

Get 30 people for combat who we think might be trainable as soldiers eventually.  I am thinking taking people who would be eligible for the draft normally, pay them the normal amount though and count this as their draft (5 year contract).  In the end they can choose to take land in the new province or be kept on as soldiers.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 08:51:58 pm »

Purchases:

We can train people long term ourselves, getting 30 bodies with weapons will be enough for now.

Hire one mason and 4 carpenters, double the cost to also buy tools and equipment for them to set up right away.

Hire 10 laborers.

Recruitment:

Recruit hunters, offer a deal for 5 years.  All food hunting is untaxed, hides bone and other products are taxed at 10%.

Offer land to farmers who might be interested in joining, second sons and poor landowners and all that.

See if there is anyone experienced in lumber harvesting who would like to get a grant to set up their own mill.

Get 30 people for combat who we think might be trainable as soldiers eventually.  I am thinking taking people who would be eligible for the draft normally, pay them the normal amount though and count this as their draft (5 year contract).  In the end they can choose to take land in the new province or be kept on as soldiers.
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:46 pm »

Purchases:

Hire 10 laborers.

Recruitment:

+1
+1
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 08:55:48 pm »

Hell, see if any regular merchants or whatever are heading out that way also.  We can offer a larger group on the road to protect them and they can show us the way and introduce us to the people.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 10:31:53 pm »

Purchases:

Hire 10 laborers.

Recruitment:

+1
+1

Hell, see if any regular merchants or whatever are heading out that way also.  We can offer a larger group on the road to protect them and they can show us the way and introduce us to the people.
1+ to both

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 12:35:35 am »

Meta question to all.

Do anyone of you, by chance, understand Chinese or Japanese (in kana or kanji)? I would like to start on the map, but it must be in a foreign language to somehow simulate your illiteracy.

Mind you it is not a licence to metagame by google translate or so.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 12:38:10 am »

You could just make up a fake alphabet.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:10 am »

Well I wanted the map to be legible to me and myself only. But thanks for your advice.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2016, 12:46:00 am »

Well I wanted the map to be legible to me and myself only. But thanks for your advice.
Or use a custom font in your images.
That might be a bit more work to set up, but you can decode it more easily.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2016, 01:01:41 am »

Or use a custom font in your images.
That might be a bit more work to set up, but you can decode it more easily.
I do have a nice idea. Should be enough to deter the casual decoder.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2016, 01:32:38 pm »

Spoiler: bad map (click to show/hide)

Purchases:

Hire 10 laborers.

Recruitment:

+1
+1

1+ to both
You bought:

20 spears = 2 gold
30 sets of leather cuirasses = 6 gold
10 swords = 2 gold
10 shields = 2 gold

for a total of 12 gold.

You recruited:

1 mason and 4 carpenters, = 10 gold/yr. They'll bring/maintain their own tools (for the time being), and they will bill you for projects, at material cost, so no need to double down.
10 laborers = 10 gold/yr

for a total of 20 gold/yr.

Your general recruitment of hunters, lumberers, second sons, and all sort of riffraff has been known in Dora, but news need some time to spread.
You seem to have some difficulty in spreading your exact terms of recruitment.

A hunter has turned up: Sohn-na, who have given you a rabbit, still warm, with good fur, as down payment.
Sadly no professional lumberjack has turned up.
More than enough men has specifically turned up to avoid the draft. Despite not really looking reliable, you looked at them, and selected the best 30 specimens out of them. You offer to pay them in full for a 5 year term which also counts as the draft; after that, resettlement. You suspect some of them have already been soldiers, but you don't really care; bodies for now are more important. 30 gold / yr.

A band of 10 men have also offered to travel as a group. They are reasonably armed with simple armor, axes, slings and bows. They do not tell you of their reason of travel.

Please stop me if you have second thoughts, or please cheer Rory on and say GO! if you believe there is no factual errors in the below listing.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

Given our map budget (of nothing) and the technology of the time, I like to imagine your map is 50% better then what Rory actually has.

We have a weapon and armor we are comfortable with right?

Also provisions for the road, a month or three.

Otherwise looks good to go.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »

Wait, 10 random guys?  I was hoping for someone familiar with the area or the people or something.  Random secretive armed men?

Uh.. no thanks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2016, 02:25:38 pm »

Er...We could probably use the backup.
Sigtext

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2016, 03:34:53 pm »

God I hate being illiterate. Nicely done, though.
As to the ten men, evilcherry seems to have specifically worried us. I'm not sure what to take from that but I can't help feeling that as long as we stick to the road and don't trust any "shortcuts" they tell us about, we're at any rate safer knowing where they are than having them follow us. Definitely keep an eye on them though...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7