Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Governorship - on the very frontier of civilization  (Read 8155 times)

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Re: Governorship - on the very frontier of civilization
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »

"Leave you to live in peace? More like leave you to be killed by bandits. A bandit army is approaching, and you would turn down an opportunity to double the number of defenders to face them with? I'm offering you men, and in return I want food, shelter, and care for my wounded."
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »

We also have non combatants and skilled laborers in addition to the wounded, our group might consist of 30 armed men but that is not all.  Also maybe name drop some people we met in the main settlement and offer to show other proof. 

Basically point out that we are a skilled soldier and that turning down legitimate help would leave them more vulnerable.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 12:19:47 am »

"Leave you to live in peace? More like leave you to be killed by bandits. A bandit army is approaching, and you would turn down an opportunity to double the number of defenders to face them with? I'm offering you men, and in return I want food, shelter, and care for my wounded."
+1
We also have non combatants and skilled laborers in addition to the wounded, our group might consist of 30 armed men but that is not all.  Also maybe name drop some people we met in the main settlement and offer to show other proof. 

Basically point out that we are a skilled soldier and that turning down legitimate help would leave them more vulnerable.
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 11:26:54 am »

+1

+1
((Oh why...))

"Mr. Manjiro, please listen. You know that the bandits are out there, right?"

"Yes?"

"And you have just this rabble but we have 30 armed men and also some skilled workers right?"

"So?"

"They will be coming at anytime. Lets join forces - we need someplace to base ourselves, and you need some kind of protection."

"Ah! That's your error, you fool. For how much time are we here?"

"Three years, without a governor. Is it?"

"Yes. And yesterday some bandits come through right?"

"Yes and they hurt some of our men. Quick, what is your point?" You rose your voice, feeling impatient at Manjiro. The fool has been talking in riddles, you thought.

"Did you see any of us hurt?"

You were utterly amazed at the man Manjiro. He was right; despite a bandit party travelling through, you did not see anyone harmed or bandaged. These men, while looking weak, must have some method to deter the bandits.

"Uh...?! I guess not."

"And do you know why? If we look strong and rich, the bandits will see us as a target. If we look weak and poor, the bandits will not bother with us, as they are to return empty handed. Now, tell me, governor. What wind blows you here?"

"Well, Helmus Strongarm appointed me, so I am supposed to..."

"Bah! That uncouth bandit. Now I see why. He loves strong and brave men, I have certainly heard that. He certainly isn't interested in any kind of protocol, rules, or whatever. I understand that - but tricks and strategy is what lets you live a long live out there.

"Now back to business." Manjiro paused for a cough. "Its all your fault. I would have preferred to drive you to the forests to be chewed up by the bandits, but that also exposes us as a roadblock good enough to deter officials and a proper militia. I certainly don't want to serve those bandits, so we are now unfortunately in the same boat, and I guess we have to accommodate you for the time being."

Thus your tenure finally starts. Its April in the 15th Year of the Emperor. What will you do, governor?

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 12:53:10 pm »

"Manjiro, what have your people eaten in the past three years? Also, what do you want in life, are you content to live here forever?"

have the carpenters and laborers start putting up huts for our men, and have Sohn-na scout around the village for any interesting natural or manmade features.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »

You continue chatting with Manjiro.

"On food? Well obviously tactics in the lowlands won't work here. We burn down patches of the forests, then we will plant some grain here and there. We know the lay of the land, and the bandits won't waste their time to find every cranny and crook, so we always grow some more as low hanging fruit for them to raid on. We also hunt in the forest, and the people also find a few kinds of forest plants quite edible, so we regularly collected them. I guess you guys need to spend some of your time for food too, as the sowing season draws near." You have rudimentary understanding on how the large village get its own food.

"As of returning to the court... Perhaps Helmus never tell you. I have been exiled from the court, and destined to live here forever, unless I get a royal pardon. Leaving for greener pastures is not something I can do." You have been reminded of the fact that Manjiro is being exiled.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 11:14:44 am »

Ask Manjiro to give us a short briefing about the bandits.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2016, 10:49:05 pm »

"What I meant was are you content to have to hide your grain in order to keep it, or to serve bandits by planting extra grain to feed them? In any case it doesn't matter. You've done us a service, so what can we do for you other than just staying out of the way. Skilled craftsmen and laborer so have come with me. Also, I'd like to meet the rest of the people of this village, particularly any craftspeople or leaders like yourself."
Go around the village and introduce ourselves, particularly to any other leaders or important people.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2016, 11:42:33 am »

Ask Manjiro to give us a short briefing about the bandits.
"What I meant was are you content to have to hide your grain in order to keep it, or to serve bandits by planting extra grain to feed them? In any case it doesn't matter. You've done us a service, so what can we do for you other than just staying out of the way. Skilled craftsmen and laborer so have come with me. Also, I'd like to meet the rest of the people of this village, particularly any craftspeople or leaders like yourself."
Go around the village and introduce ourselves, particularly to any other leaders or important people.

"Manjiro, perhaps I've been a bit long-winded here. But you see, you have been lying here. You lot need to plant extra to please the bandits. I'm going to assure that you will never need to do this."

"And yet we need to feed you lot, you scoundrel." replied Manjiro bluntly. "I repeat, you are only allowed here because I don't have another choice. I would sell you to the bandits if I need to. Government is, after all, another kind of banditry."

"So I guess that the bandits rely on tribute from you lot to survive, in return for protection from them."

"Exactly. You see, if you protection turns out to be cheaper than their protection, there is no reason that we will not work with you. You learn fast, Rory. Perhaps I have to show you the place."

You earn a small bit of trust of Manjiro, though he will still disobey your orders if he decides to.

You understand that the village is consisted of Extremely poor quality homes, surrounding a raised platform which was the governor's mansion but now in ruins, and bordering a river which you just crossed. You tried talking with the villagers, but most are skeptical of your presence, perhaps being spun by Manjiro. After some time, you know that the village did have its own elders, but most were taken away or killed by the bandits, and Manjiro assumed the position practically since. The village is otherwise unremarkable and without any defense structures.

You men will now stay on the raised platform until specified otherwise.

Please finalize your commands for the month.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:11 pm »

Have Sohn-na scout in the woods around the village for any interesting features. Have our laborers, carpenters, and mason build huts for our men on and around the platform. Split up our soldiers into five groups of six. Have two groups gather edible plants and try to fish in the river, and ask Manjiro to help them find food. Have two groups cut saplings and carve and whittle wooden spears the same length as the spears we already have, then harden them in fires. Store the spears on the platform. Have one group guard the platform. Rotate the groups to different jobs every day, so if on day one group 1 is guarding, groups 2&3 are gathering, and 4&5 are making spears, the next day group 2 will be guarding, groups 3&4 are gathering, and 5&1 are making spears, and so on.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:02:46 pm by Beneviento »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2016, 02:21:54 pm »

Have Sohn-na scout in the woods around the village for any interesting features. Have our laborers, carpenters, and mason build huts for our men on and around the platform. Split up our soldiers into five groups of six. Have two groups gather edible plants and try to fish in the river, and ask Manjiro to help them find food. Have two groups cut saplings and carve and whittle wooden spears the same length as the spears we already have, then harden them in fires. Have one group guard the platform. Rotate the groups to different jobs every day, so if on day one group 1 is guarding, groups 2&3 are gathering, and 4&5 are making spears, the next day group 2 will be guarding, groups 3&4 are gathering, and 5&1 are making spears, and so on.
+
Max avatar size is 80x80

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2016, 03:58:34 pm »

Have Sohn-na scout in the woods around the village for any interesting features. Have our laborers, carpenters, and mason build huts for our men on and around the platform. Split up our soldiers into five groups of six. Have two groups gather edible plants and try to fish in the river, and ask Manjiro to help them find food. Have two groups cut saplings and carve and whittle wooden spears the same length as the spears we already have, then harden them in fires. Have one group guard the platform. Rotate the groups to different jobs every day, so if on day one group 1 is guarding, groups 2&3 are gathering, and 4&5 are making spears, the next day group 2 will be guarding, groups 3&4 are gathering, and 5&1 are making spears, and so on.
+
+

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2016, 11:43:54 pm »

Bump?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2016, 06:43:05 am »

Still processing!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:53 am »

Have Sohn-na scout in the woods around the village for any interesting features.

Sohn-na insisted that he is a hunter rather than a scout. While he agreed to do the job for you, he is doing that because of his need to find hunting grounds.

Generally speaking, the map is accurate. You have another small village - around 20 homes downstream, and some greenery, field-like areas with a small cluster of houses upstream from your village. Along the road, it leads to an inn by a big piece of monolithic rock around a hundred meters wide, as the road leads into the forest. He has been trying to find the tree indicated on the map but with no avail. He skinned the rabbit, and tanned the skin for you in his spare time.

He suggest you to let him actually start hunting for profit next month.

Have our laborers, carpenters, and mason build huts for our men on and around the platform.

Your carpenters and find out that the trees nearby the village is not strong enough for structural lumber, and they dared not to go close to the forest for fear of bandits. Your mason inspected the nearby rocky outcrops, and find that the rock is good enough for dry walls, but he couldn't finish them into good shapes. Rock walls are soon built, and roofs made from a mixture of thatch, mud and wood are being put up. Overall progress is very slow due to the very intensive labour involved in sourcing and transporting stone, and by the end of the 1st month, they have finished one building, just enough for daily shelter for 10 people.

Your skilled workers, like masons and carpenters, insisted that they should be allowed to live in the buildings first, if you are not interested in it.

5 groups of 6:
2 groups fish and gather food, asking Manjiro for help
2 groups make fire-hardened spears
1 group guard the platform
Rotate daily

We almost forget 3 wounded men from the bandit attack. You left 2 men around to take care of them, and they are given the best comforts available there. Despite of this, you soon realize that they couldn't hang on. All 3 succumbed to their injuries by the end of the month.

3 soldiers died from injuries.

Manjiro just tell you to observe and ask the villagers for food gathering. Instead of gathering food, however, you saw them cultivating the land to grow grains. Your men joined in the farming and you will only know of your harvests later.

The group making spears have run into many problems. To start with, you have been working with metal speartips for ages, but fabricating spears from wood only is something not really from your mind, so you shrug that thought off, and trained your men. Its not when you see Sohn-na making his own arrows over the fire that you come up with this idea. You started the real work pretty late, and you also ran into the same lumber quality problem with your carpenters. By the end of the month, you have made around 30 spears: A phenomenal feat, considering how little time you have for actual work, and how many men have to be educated in this art.

By the end of the month, the tense relations between your men and the locals softens up. Having your men work in the fields help a bit, as they see less of you guarding the platform and more of them in the fields. The lone exception is, of course, Manjiro: he wanted to play boss, and he got tons of respect from the villagers.

**Event**

Late in May, one of your man complained that one of the soldiers is taking the guard jobs on consecutive days. You did a light investigation, and found out that it is indeed the case, but you didn't find out how he got such preferential treatment. Will you, and what action will you take here?

Also, what is your order for June?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:08:10 am by evilcherry »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7