Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestions for good co-op games?  (Read 3946 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Suggestions for good co-op games?
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »

A friend and I like to play a lot of cooperative games together.  Recently, though, good co-op games (especially ones with splitscreen) have been getting rarer.  So I figured I could ask B12 for recommendations, since you guys are generally pretty smart and knowledgable about this type of thing.

Requirements:
  • Must be easy to set up for cooperative play, preferably over LAN or splitscreen.  Dark Souls would be a good game, except it's bad for playing with a specific person.
  • Must not rely on PvP, so no MOBAs.  Mostly because we like winning, and we won't be playing this often enough to get really skilled.
  • Has to be on either PC, Xbox 360, PS2, or Xbox.  We've both got the former two, but only one each for the latter two; PS2 and Xbox games would have to be splitscreen.  Neither of us has a latest-gen console.

Preferences:
  • Not a twitch shooter.  I'd classify Halo, Left4Dead, Borderlands etc as twitch shooters, but not Portal or Splinter Cell.  Mostly, this is because shooters that don't have anything else get repetitive fast--this was our problem with Borderlands.
  • Not strictly a puzzler.  Portal 2 was wonderful solo, but when we tried co-op, one of us would always solve the level first, and the other would just blindly follow the other's directions.
  • Something tactical or stealthy would be our preference.  Running With Rifles was good, although it eventually got repetitive.  Splinter Cell: Blacklist was great.  Something like cooperative XCOM would be amazing, but I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

Cost isn't really an issue.  We'd prefer cheap, of course, but if it's a good game that's more important.  And yes, I really should have posted this a week or two ago, when there was still lots of time in the Steam sale.  I'm a severe procrastinator.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Suggestions for good local co-op games?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:31:46 pm »

I'd recommend Screencheat. Gave that one a spin with a friend just the other day expecting it to be meh, but it turned out to be really interesting and fun.

I also recommend Battleblock Theater.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for good local co-op games?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:53:59 pm »

I was going to suggest Duck Game but then

• Must not rely on PvP
so...

Magicka, perhaps? The same folks have made a new game called Helldivers too, which also has the same sort of co-op gameplay, from what I've read - but I haven't played Helldivers myself.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for good co-op games?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:06:54 pm »

Why not Minecraft? It has LAN, and its at it's most fun when you play cooperatively.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 06:18:54 pm »

Divinity: Original Sin has co-op and that's supposed to be fun. I don't think it's split-screen though.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:22:17 pm »

If you want to go off the tactical deep end, Wargame:Red Dragon is your jam. I think it has lan, but no split screen.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 06:31:13 pm »

System Shock 2, unless that's too rpg for your tastes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:32:05 pm »

I was going to suggest Duck Game but then

• Must not rely on PvP
so...

Magicka, perhaps? The same folks have made a new game called Helldivers too, which also has the same sort of co-op gameplay, from what I've read - but I haven't played Helldivers myself.
Magicka isn't about PvP? [/list]

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:40:13 pm »

An old game. Commandos 2: Men of courage. Can be played stealthily or go murderbone everyone.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:57:34 pm »

For massive online coop battle I highly recommend Running with Rifles.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:28 pm »

An old game. Commandos 2: Men of courage. Can be played stealthily or go murderbone everyone.
I had no idea any of the Commandos games even had co-op, let alone multiplayer.

Edit; has anyone mentioned Pulsar: Lost Colony or Artemis spaceship bridge simulator?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:26:03 pm by OzyTheSage »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »

AI War: Fleet Command http://store.steampowered.com/app/40400/

AI war is a fun game and I don't mean to discourage you from buying it because I've played like 100+ hours and it's easily worth the money, but a warning since you said you won't be playing often - games take a LONG time to finish.

Like, spending 8 hours to finish a single game is rather quick, and if you pick larger maps or just take your time with it to figure things out you can spend 15, 20 hours on a single game.

Your options are also a lot more limited than they might initially seem and it's possible you do things wrong and screw yourself over and don't realize it till 2 - 3 hours later, especially when you're new and getting used to how the game works.

If you do get it, though it's only a few bucks more for all the DLC which is totally worth it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: [1] 2