Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24599 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (3.5/5 players)
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2016, 12:29:34 pm »

I can agree with the Lore check making it quicker but not much else, since the crafting skill shouldn't have the main role usurped. And the check threshold should probably be based on how much innovation goes in the design; a war wagon or repeating crossbow are modifications of objects that already exist, for example. At its simplest, a war wagon prototype could be just a wagon with the firing holes, without the system to deploy them as fortifications.

And how about this stunt? Failsafe Process: Twice per session, a failed Craft check can be re-rolled.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2016, 06:23:46 pm »

1. What is the bearing of time for a 'session', when we're doing this weird campaign-y thingy.
2. Yeah that looks like a good stunt.

I'm assuming that simpler things will of course require less prototypes, but that was the most streamlined way I could make it.
Besides which, you mention that a war wagon is incredibly simple, but it still took until the 1700's for some brilliant person to dream up, and then was only countered by the invention which also counters the Castle.

I'm happy with Nabih being a quadrouple einstein but the world is quite backwards and I want him to at least travel to the places which have the original objects before he can make simple modifications.
If you find a guy with a crossbow and convince him to let you disassemble it, then naturally you'd find your job a lot easier. But just going 'I dream up the steam engine!' just doesn't sit right with me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2016, 06:31:57 pm »

@Gigla: Have you considered a Stunt to allow Ghaminia to use Fight when throwing knives?

Sounds good.

1. What is the bearing of time for a 'session', when we're doing this weird campaign-y thingy.
2. Yeah that looks like a good stunt.

I'm assuming that simpler things will of course require less prototypes, but that was the most streamlined way I could make it.
Besides which, you mention that a war wagon is incredibly simple, but it still took until the 1700's for some brilliant person to dream up, and then was only countered by the invention which also counters the Castle.

I'm happy with Nabih being a quadrouple einstein but the world is quite backwards and I want him to at least travel to the places which have the original objects before he can make simple modifications.
If you find a guy with a crossbow and convince him to let you disassemble it, then naturally you'd find your job a lot easier. But just going 'I dream up the steam engine!' just doesn't sit right with me.
Certainly, but there's a difference between a steam engine and a wagon with planks nailed to the sides.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:06 pm »

How should I count time, then? Twice per day instead?

Nabih already has a crossbow, and since he won't be able to go around kicking asses and taking names I have to get my fun somewhere. Also, the war wagon is much older; it was originally conceived back in 1420 (I learned about them by reading an article on Jan Žižka), and there seems to be evidence the Chinese (as always) used it way earlier. It makes sense a wagon with planks and murderholes was developed by people who didn't have the luxury of having several armored knights around.

As for the steam engine, it is quite complicated and notice I haven't even mentioned it. I'd only be comfortable starting even the simplest prototypes when/if Nabih gets to the end of his "tech tree".
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2016, 07:18:19 pm »

i think a post IC might have been missed ;-;
Black lives matter.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2016, 09:32:49 pm »

Huh, look at that. So he does.
And no Shoot skill... That's amusing.

I think I'm gonna have to up the tech level of EastPeopleLand.

Re: the craft stunt. Whilst a free reroll could be quite powerful, especially on a free fourth stunt, I think for ease of use; we may as well limit it by specificity rather than number of occurrences.
Hmm.. It's called failsafe process... Could make it a reroll if the failed outcome would've resulted in taking damage?

IC post:
Well, I've managed to complete 3/5 races on the new game which is absorbing all my time, so IC update incoming soonish maybe.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:34:56 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2016, 09:34:13 pm »

fair enough
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2016, 09:56:03 pm »

He also doesn't have fight but has a scimitar, though to be honest it'd probably have been more appropriate if he had a decorated dagger, but we were supposed to keep things cheap. The sword is mostly for show and self-defense in case of emergencies—beats fending off bandits with your fists—and the crossbow is partially the same, though with the added bonus it represented Nabih's fascination with mechanisms. You didn't mention anything so I thought they were both fine.

I don't think there are many cases where he'll injure himself during failures unless a) he's working with explosives/something similarly dangerous or b) cases are added where he'd injure himself so that the Stunt would get mileage (splinters from woodworking, cutting himself during blacksmithing) and that doesn't sound too good. Also, a free fourth stunt? I thought we were losing a point of refresh as usual.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2016, 10:04:42 pm »

Yeah basically only explosives, flammables and high-tensiles, so that makes sense.

Yes, you are losing a point of refresh, however as you've said it's a rather redundant mechanic now that I've hacked it to pieces.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 31, 2016, 12:15:04 am »

I don't think Nabih will be dealing with that type of material regularly. Maybe much later when I'm working with gunpowder, but that seems far off.

I'm surprised that ogre's name wasn't in the list. Maybe he's getting by pretty well by being a loan shark.

Edit: And I think you never gave an opinion on the wagon thing.

Edit2: And I need to have an idea of the region's climate to know how well-protected a composite bow or crossbow would have to be in order to avoid problems caused by humidity.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:56:17 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »

Re: Money gotten from contract- I think I'm gonna make it triple the original (before haggling) selling price. However much that turns out to be for most contracts, I'll have to tweak as the game goes on.

As for the price of timber- raincheck. I've gotta sleep now, I just wanted to get the statblocks in whilst I had the chance.
Expect your section of that post to get a bit bigger Caellath, in about eight hours.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:53 am »

[glow=darkgreen]"They did not believe I could break open the cell, either - which, of course, I could. The looks on their faces were so funny."
SB ye goofed
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2016, 09:33:35 am »

>:(
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2016, 12:59:00 pm »

It is Monday (Tuesday for Tack), a great day for a new turn and for reminding the GM of the OOC questions I made before.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:40 pm »

Indeed, although 4:00am is less Tuesday than I would prefer.
Uh, the wagon is, I guess, a simple wagon with a bit more reinforcement on it. I'd assume it'd require less engineering know-how than a siege tower, so that should be pretty easy.
I guess the only issue I can dream up would be creating wheels and axle strong enough to support the extra weight- even fully enclosed carriages being something of a pine-and-paint job.
So it should be relatively easy. On that note, if the prototype system doesn't appeal to you, could you suggest a different one?

As for climate and sinew, I honestly have no idea how to reflect that in-game, but:
The Kingdom is basically a much larger not-scotland.
The Western states are a bunch of not-venices.
The Goblin Kingdoms are an unknown.
The Eastern states are whatever you wish them to be, and past the desert (which between the inhospitality and the great bandit clans does an effective job at keeping foreign raiders out) is a mesa badlands where mesa badlands vikings roam. They're still great shipwrights and sea raiders, except wood is obviously scarce so they're much less of a nuisance/when they hit a place they tend to deforest it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25