Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25

Author Topic: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (Players Needed)  (Read 24596 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (3.5/5 players)
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2016, 02:39:10 pm »

Races, crud.

Uh. Could possibly make the patriarch of Reridge an ogre, now that there's a hold with influence around there.
The rest I'll just roll.
1. Senior Foreman, Dashness - goblin
2. Lead distributor, Caravanserais - goblin
3. Owner and operator, Brightwater Bloomery- human
4. Warehouse manager, Caravanserais- goblin.

I do like the idea of putting rerolls into stunts (I mean why not), but the only time I'd really lose you money on a bad roll would be gambling- and a cheapskate wouldn't entirely be welcome there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:41:05 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenaries of [FATE] OOC (1 slot left)
« Reply #271 on: May 23, 2016, 03:01:25 pm »

Ok. Action's posted already.

I assumed you'd have certain things from there, such as the aforementioned coffee and some silks.
That being said, medicines and and a surgical kit, crafting supplies and particularly various odds and ends to use in inventing would almost certainly be on Al-Safi, or more likely his horse/wagon.

And quoting so I don't forget. We should probably have a vague inventory of sorts. So, I know you mentioned a horse or wagon, but if you prefer I can just have all of Nabih and Ghaminia's stuff in their big traveling packs/sacks so we don't start with a wagon. In any case I do intend to have wagons in the future, because I intend to have war wagons. Preferably decorated with a layer of stucco for fire-retardation purposes and style points.

If you want me to roll for creating the war wagon concept, do tell me.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 23, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »

Ooh war wagons. Yes, I did just have to wiki that. Post-constantine history is not my strong suit.

Uh, yeah, I'll make you roll for that. Considering that crossbows are prevalent only in the kingdoms, however, you'll probably have to stock them with bowmen.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »

The lack of crossbows can be fixed with time and materials. Hell, the Chinese used repeating crossbows way back then, so Nabih might also try for recurve repeating crossbows.

I wasn't sure if the crafting process could end up in loss of materials, so there's that. And how does failure to invent something work? Is Nabih forever prevented from trying to roll again or is it like a "snag" in the creative process that means he has to try again at some other time?
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2016, 05:38:11 pm »

Crossbows, even repeating ones, aren't terribly complicated things when it comes down to it, so if he knows they exist there's very little reason he couldn't work them out.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 23, 2016, 05:52:18 pm »

Yeah. Though I'm not sure how close Tack's world is to actual Earth besides the fantasy bits, Nabih should have a good chance of knowing repeating crossbows exist thanks to his vague birth location in NotMiddleEast, theoretically close to NotChina. If repeating crossbows don't exist or are beyond Nabih's immediate knowledge, they're probably easier to invent than something completely new since crossbows already exist and are within his knowledge—with the added bonus he'd be the only one with the knowledge how to make them.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2016, 11:07:13 pm »

I don't think we have a not-china. The desert is where NotMiddleEast lives, and then the only other land east is where the NotNorse live.
NotChina would probably be across the sea, but I'm honestly unsure as to whether humans have got ocean-going vessels yet.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2016, 05:07:33 am »

NotChina could be a land of pink trees and misty expanses over in that valley, just a stone's throw and a few thousand miles Weast?
Black lives matter.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2016, 03:08:37 pm »

On the other side of the world, yes. None of this "gunpowder invented in the BC's" crap.

On a more serious note, a game launched which I have followed the entire series of like a hidebound japanese housewife, so things may slow noticeably over the next little while.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2016, 03:12:41 pm »

Prithy tell the name of thy newest vice, milord.
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

Oh well, Nabih's bright future as an evil warlord and conqueror can wait a bit more.

And since it seems repeating crossbows either weren't invented already or are in the hands of a people far away, we can have some fun with them. They might not be gunpower weapons but are still perfect to be given to barely-trained people.
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2016, 07:22:22 pm »

Indeed they are. Your tech tree is sprouting nicely.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2016, 07:23:23 pm »

Larok's Tech Tree
Sword
    V
Better sword
    V
Even better sword
    V
Magic sword
Black lives matter.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2016, 01:13:32 pm »

And how does failure to invent something work? Is Nabih forever prevented from trying to roll again or is it like a "snag" in the creative process that means he has to try again at some other time?

Reposting for visibility. As for the stunt, I was thinking about either something to re-roll inventing or crafting failures or failures while making business deals. Additionally, are we getting an update soon? Both of us have posted and I'm interested in moving things forward.

@Gigla: Have you considered a Stunt to allow Ghaminia to use Fight when throwing knives?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:09:28 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2016, 02:56:20 am »

Sorry, was completely unprepared to try and brainstorm up how inspiration works in a freeform low-tech game.
I think I'll just make it a time and money investiture based on the complexity of the tech.

We'll call it a prototype system. You say you want to invent X, so you create your first prototype, which will be a bit of time and money, finished with a craft check.
Could also add in a Lore check to make it quicker (as though you already understand the systems behind the thing you're making)

Anywho, the check threshold will be incredibly high, so that you usually will need to make multiple prototypes in order to reach it. Every time your prototype falls short of the mark, you'll get a +2 to future builds, until you hit the point where you pass it and have the first one, at which point it can be produced accordingly.

A cataclysmic failure on a protoype means it goes terribly wrong and the money is wasted. (don't do this with gunpowder)
A failure on a prototype means it isn't useful, although some money can be recouped from it for future research.
A prototype on the mark may work, although in a diminished capacity.

As for succeeding and succeeding with style, who knows, I'll get to it later.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25