Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Arms Race - 1784: British Loyalist Design Phase  (Read 12085 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race - 1783: British Loyalist Focus Phase
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2016, 10:27:10 pm »

So, all in agreement for blockade and an invasion of dunwich between montgomery and new dunwich?
Aye, count this as a +1 from me.

And any ideas on what you want with the new cannon?
+1 from me too
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2016, 10:34:47 pm »

Why not a cannon that can assumably be used as both?
Well, a Carronade can be used as a field piece, at short ranges. The main advantage to having one of those on our ships is because it will be able to fire far, far heavier shot for less weight, which should prove useful when it comes to, say, fighting those frigging paddle boats.

Also, the main problem with designing things that can be used for both is that field guns typically couldn't get over firing 6-8lb rounds without being so heavy to render them useful only in sieges or really, really short ranged. As in pistol range. Carronades suffer from that aswell, but they atleast are on a ship which can move them closer.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2016, 10:46:18 pm »

I was thinking about trying breechloading and/or rifling, since we spent so much time developing the tech. goal being an increase of fire rate and range. especially in the naval field, range will be useful. if they can't hit us but we can hit them, we likely win. Plus it doubles as field artillery ( and I don't think we are so outmatched there. our range in direct fire is still only matched by the newest dunwich 8lb cannon, which I hope we can outdo.)
an heavier cannon could also be nice, but we should keep in mind that we will need at least a revision to use it.

A possibility could be an 8 pound breechloaded rifled cannon, followed by a revision of the sloop to carry it. Although it might be too ambitious. Not sure how hard it is to get a breechloaded cannon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:35 pm »

Fairly difficult actually. Getting full obturation on something the size of a cannon isn't easy. A good way of doing it though, would be going with a sliding block breech, especially if we can get brass casings to provide full obturation. On the whole though, I'd go for a rifled muzzleloader first unless we're feeling adventurous.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2016, 12:12:49 am »

you are right, merely rifled is probably a better idea. especially since it is more likely to succeed without a revision.

I would go for an 8 pound rifled muzzleloader, with a revision to fit it on our sloop for added firepower.

another possibility is 6 pound rifled muzzleloader, which our ships can fit by default, followed by a revision on the rifle to make percussion caps cheap ( and possibly make the whole thing more reliable).

I prefer the first, unless the current rifle mix is too ineffective ( our cheap rifles are quite unreliable. I am not even sure they are better than the previous muskets.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2016, 12:15:59 am »

We could try a rifled piece that also uses percussion caps and possibly get the cost down that way.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2016, 12:24:51 am »

heh, speaking of brass cases, I'm actually almost wanting to try to go for those, like say for a bolt action gun. Make an imperial mk.2, and then after that go for a vertical sliding breechblock cannon using those casings(which is what the Germans did until after WWII)

Other options for breechloading cannons is an interrupted screw, preferably using De Bange's sealing system. The major challenge for breechloaders is while we can use rubber O-rings for rifles, getting the large amounts of rubber for something cannon sized is not easy to do.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2016, 06:36:29 am »

Yeah, sounds to me that a rifled 6-pounder might be the best course of action, since we can make so all our ships carry them relatively easily. I'd also suggest ensuring it can fire explosive shot, since that'll make them so much more effective as well.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2016, 06:40:06 am »

Yeah, sounds to me that a rifled 6-pounder might be the best course of action, since we can make so all our ships carry them relatively easily. I'd also suggest ensuring it can fire explosive shot, since that'll make them so much more effective as well.

I was actually gonna suggest we go with Dahlgren's gun shape combined with Rodman's hollow-casting techniques to make a very strong, very capable gun able to fire shot and shell out to a pretty long distance. I was also thinking about making a range of cannons and howitzers from 3 pounders to 20 pounders, though that bit might be to ambitious, so I'm fine with just a rifled 6 pounder

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2016, 07:03:16 am »

the first one sounds a lot like the pirate light cannon. I wonder if the second is already included in our improved casting ( we did get an impressive performnce boost)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2016, 01:30:57 pm »

No, I'm pretty sure those are more advanced than what we or the pirates have.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2016, 01:34:12 pm »

Yup, what we have is cannon which is casted whole, and then has the muzzle bored out.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2016, 01:35:52 pm »

What we have in game could be called precursors to those links.

blockade and an invasion of dunwich between montgomery and new dunwich 

is that what you guys are going for?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »

Pretty much Kashyyk

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:00 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17