Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65654 times)

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2016, 04:16:41 pm »

Right, update. Things are getting a little behind schedule, with deserts, conifer forests, and extreme biomes (mountains, taiga/tundra) still needing attention before I can start the crop arc. I hope to get at least one of those categories done per day, which would leave me with Friday and Saturday to do crops and magic stuff if I don't get ahead or behind. Not as much as I'd hoped to get done, but it's something. If I have to leave something off, it'll be the magic. I don't want to end my turn with an incomplete system in place and that still needs some science.

Don't worry to much about it. Also, if you want to, you can just make the alchemy plants for now, and we can add in the reactions and stuff later.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2016, 06:23:00 pm »

Taigas and deserts already have fielderkins and firetails btw, but you're free to add anything you want.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2016, 06:29:35 pm »

Did anyone make clays and sand and so on for the sea? I'm getting sea tile crashes again.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2016, 06:32:51 pm »

Did anyone make clays and sand and so on for the sea? I'm getting sea tile crashes again.

Bafflers working on it I think? If not, I'll throw together some interesting things.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:01 pm »

Yeah, I made some basic "pelagic clay" and "pelagic sediment" to stop the crashing.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:57 pm »

Yeah, I made some basic "pelagic clay" and "pelagic sediment" to stop the crashing.

Has it helped?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »

Has it helped?

I... haven't tested it actually. One moment...

Seems that it didn't. That's strange. Unfortunately I don't have time to tinker with it tonight, got more work to do. At least I got the deserts finished.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:20:56 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »

Has it helped?

I... haven't tested it actually. One moment...

Seems that it didn't. That's strange. Unfortunately I don't have time to tinker with it tonight, got more work to do. At least I got the deserts finished.

This is what the issue is.
For example, did you know that DF generates a world properly but just plain crashes if you move your cursor over water if there are no things that ocean floors are specified to be made out of?

Just need more oceanic rock and soils and things.
Edit: Sand, sedimentary rock and soil, according to the wiki.

Double edit: Remove [ROTS] from my stone as well. That's a mistake that shouldn't be there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:37:36 pm by Urdothor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 28, 2016, 04:00:09 pm »

Desert plants are done. Conifer forests and extreme biomes remain. I'll probably be able to finish those, but it's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to get more than a few crops/wild plants done by Sunday. Shit's kinda hit the fan around here and I can't really sit down and spend an hour or two on this anymore. It's not bad enough to hand it off, but I won't get done nearly as much as I'd hoped. I'll just have to submit things after my turn is done. Speaking of which, is it too early for me to sign up for another? I quite enjoyed working on this, even if I didn't get as much as I'd hope.

In ocean crash news, I seem to have managed to reduce but not entirely eliminate the issue. I'm not sure exactly what it's throwing a fit about, but I'll find it eventually.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #519 on: January 28, 2016, 05:40:16 pm »

Moar rocks and sand is the solution, i think! try taking vanilla and slowly removing rocks from it.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

Desert plants are done. Conifer forests and extreme biomes remain. I'll probably be able to finish those, but it's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to get more than a few crops/wild plants done by Sunday. Shit's kinda hit the fan around here and I can't really sit down and spend an hour or two on this anymore. It's not bad enough to hand it off, but I won't get done nearly as much as I'd hoped. I'll just have to submit things after my turn is done. Speaking of which, is it too early for me to sign up for another? I quite enjoyed working on this, even if I didn't get as much as I'd hope.

In ocean crash news, I seem to have managed to reduce but not entirely eliminate the issue. I'm not sure exactly what it's throwing a fit about, but I'll find it eventually.

Sure, another turn sounds fine! I understand what you mean. I have a huge week long thing next week of all weeks. My turn! :( Oh well, it'll be worked out eventually I suppose.

The problem is oceans try to generate with massive amounts of everything.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:29 pm »

I was really bored earlier so I just made a stone that is constantly on fire. Its nothing special, but I had 10ish minutes of free time, so here you go.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 28, 2016, 08:51:04 pm »

I was really bored earlier so I just made a stone that is constantly on fire. Its nothing special, but I had 10ish minutes of free time, so here you go.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I forsee some interesting abuses for this thing. It's in.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2016, 10:20:25 pm »

Now we need a fire proof race so we can haul it to our deathtraps stockpiles.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 30, 2016, 09:15:03 am »

So, what's everyone been working on lately?

Here's my newest creation. It's a fruit that is actually a creature: the ballofruit. Again, probably took way more time that I could have justified making this guy, but glad he works.

Spoiler: Body (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tissue template (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Plant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

...and lastly, I've made a reaction that distills juice from plants. It's basically the non-alcoholic equivalent of brewing, and can be found at the still. To allow your plants or fruits to be juiced, you just have to use JUICE_MAT, the same way you would usually use DRINK_MAT.

Spoiler: Reaction (click to show/hide)

Also, could someone add mossgrub juice to my mossgrub? Just add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:JUICE_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK] under the STRUCTURAL definition, and dump this somewhere in the plant:

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:LIQUID_TEMPLATE_BSK]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen mossgrub juice]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:mossgrub juice]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling mossgrub juice]
      [STATE_COLOR:ALL:MOSS_GREEN]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
      [DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0]
      [EDIBLE_RAW]
      [EDIBLE_COOKED]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
   [DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:11:49 am by Bearskie »