Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65679 times)

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2016, 01:51:00 pm »

Yes. The game uses .ogg.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2016, 04:44:35 pm »

So, I DLed the files, and virtually everything in there is standard Toady stuff? I thought the point here was working from flat-out scratch, no hand-holding?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »

So, I DLed the files, and virtually everything in there is standard Toady stuff? I thought the point here was working from flat-out scratch, no hand-holding?

The only vanilla stuff left in is the stuff the game refuses to function without.

Should be a few files with a _shutupdf ending, and so forth but the rest is us. Should be quite a few _bsk and _urd files.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:08:35 am by Urdothor »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2016, 05:19:36 pm »

Ptw. might mod later.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2016, 05:26:15 pm »

Ptw. might mod later.

Alrighty! Happy to have you.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2016, 03:31:59 am »

There's tonnes of files for stuff like wolverines and geckos, in files headed with community donation thanks.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2016, 03:34:27 am »

And now I want to make wolverine-gecko fusions. Sort of like aye-ayes, but with foot pads and without the long fingers. Also, with scaly tails.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2016, 04:43:30 am »

There's tonnes of files for stuff like wolverines and geckos, in files headed with community donation thanks.

What link are you using?

Edit: And, are you using a second copy DF with the raw file removed when installing?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:50:39 am by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2016, 08:29:12 am »

Stuff's pretty much done, now I'm testing for bugs an- whoa that's alot of bugs.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2016, 08:49:48 am »

Stuff's pretty much done, now I'm testing for bugs an- whoa that's alot of bugs.

Remember to remove RCP_GLOSS_PAW, if you haven't already. Will remove any "Nightcreature" bugs in the error log
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:58:22 am by Urdothor »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2016, 11:11:59 am »

Here we go: End of my turn (pre-bugfix)

This is the stable build! It doesn't crash (yay), but it does not mean it's balanced. Nosirrr. It just means that the game is actually playable, but I still have to test my creations to see if they're doing exactly what I told them to do.

Here's the rundown:

Creatures (2): Joobs, flying squiddy thingies, and Magwharls, big massive whales that live beneath the magma sea. They're both relatively benign, no worries.

Megabeast (1): Corazoid, big coral beast that only dies once you chop off every one of his 12 limbs, which reanimate, by the way.

Entities (2): Remember when I said we should make all entities playable? Turns out its hard to make a fortress mode civ that isn't completely boring to play. Took up the majority of my modding time.

Water trolls - Small trolls who've come from beneath the ocean to... build fortresses. And sell you things. Huzzah, capitalism! These are practically underwater dwarves; they have a very structured society and ohgodthenobles.

You're only limited to your military of 10 until you become a township, so good luck surviving with your (pretty decent) traps, and hydration ability -- basically trolls become stronger when they fight in water or have been walking around in water for some time.

Hunting mantis  - These guys are terrifying in combat. Definitely have to balance them later. Basically a warrior race relying on their natural attacks. They have various tribal stuff going on; hoping to expand on that later.

Atm they're carnivores, so they can't reliably survive since there's zero damn protein on this planet bar joobs (which you can run a breeding industry for I suppose). Haven't given them reliable choppers and diggers yet, so these guys are not 100% ready to play. Even if they were, the lack of wildlife to hunt makes them pretty boring.

Oh, and they get rowdy when they haven't hunted for a while (think negative thoughts, start fistfights -- not good when your arm is essentially a bladed sword). Also, don't be surprised if you see a couple of males drop dead during breeding season.

Urdothor's going to take this and compile the latest additions, while I'm still ratting out any bugs I can find in gameplay. All trees now have [BIOME:ANY_LAND] for the time being, to provide a reliable source of wood. Joobs are supposed to be curious beasts, but I've left that out for now.

There's a couple of other things (items/reactions/templates) that I made but ended up not using. They're still there for anyone wanting to use them. Modder's Resource hasn't been updated either.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2016, 11:29:03 am »

How exciting, the first turn is done!

A bit less than I expected, but to be honest, entities take long to make. Also, regarding the Modder's Resource, I wish that we replace that with a more functional and less fancy one. Not at all because I can't seem to insert a row without fucking up the entire thing, but because I can't seem to insert a row without fucking up the entire thing.

...And a simpler one would allow filtering and ordering and stuff.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2016, 01:27:55 pm »

Now that I've been told the source of all the obscuring normal DF files, I might have a crack at creating some wild animals/livestock for this!

Edit: DF crashes on launch, saying it's missing curses 600*400
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:38:04 pm by Dorsidwarf »

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2016, 01:56:50 pm »

Now that I've been told the source of all the obscuring normal DF files, I might have a crack at creating some wild animals/livestock for this!

Edit: DF crashes on launch, saying it's missing curses 600*400

Thats really, really odd.
How exciting, the first turn is done!

A bit less than I expected, but to be honest, entities take long to make. Also, regarding the Modder's Resource, I wish that we replace that with a more functional and less fancy one. Not at all because I can't seem to insert a row without fucking up the entire thing, but because I can't seem to insert a row without fucking up the entire thing.

...And a simpler one would allow filtering and ordering and stuff.

I have no idea how to do that, unfortunately.

I think once bug fixes are complete, I'll start on the main antagonist race, the invading... dunno what to call them.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »

Found the bug, I deleted the art folder  ::)

However, the game crashes instantly for me when I create a new world (with latest bearskie raws)

EDIR:I don't suppose I can use color descriptors for object colors?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:32:44 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 42