Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103341 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #510 on: November 26, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »

I don't know what game you're talking about, and Tropico 5 is neither developed nor published by Paradox studios sooo... ???

I guess I wouldn't be on Paradox's case if it wasn't ALWAYS the case with them and they always go overboard... Unlike all those other companies you mentioned.

WHAT!?!?!? Dude, you're off the chain! Every call of duty, every assassin's creed, destiny, every EA game EVER IS LOADED TO THE BRIM WITH USELESS DLC!!! Hell, even SEGA is ruining CA and the Total War series with BS DLC models. And ya still think Paradox is the blatantly awful one? Where's your logic?

Anyhow I guess I retract my compliment since it seems like it is... completely untrue >_<

Stop that. If you can't defend your assertion, don't make it. AND FRANKLY, contrary to your point, HOI:IV will probably have the MOST DLC of any of Paradox's games if they intend to develop it to its full potential.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 27, 2016, 11:13:42 am »

Probably are referring to the piles of art and music DLC put out so they dont need to lay off their art teams, and just those. Infact, thats exactly what is being talked about.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 27, 2016, 02:35:16 pm »

Was playing my 'let's invade Boston' germany game and found that fascist coup america doesn't handle Boston being bombed 14 times very well.
When the front line dissolved around manahttan and all of my armor was stranded, encircled and killed, I decided to scum.
Unsuccessfully.

Later in my 'red brazil is best brazil' game, I accidentally forgot to click off the plan on my marines when returning them back to their scheduled amphibious assault, after they had to be diverted off to see to a pesky american assault. So naturally the 24 of them all decided to redeploy down there and then immediately hop on boats with zero organization and get themselves killed, just as I began scraping the barrel.
So once again Ctrl-Alt-Delete was my friend, until I found it was not.

So yeah. Fun fact, the save file corrupts if you try to savescum.
Which is awesome, I guess, if a bit annoying for my 'chievs.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 27, 2016, 04:09:08 pm »

So yeah. Fun fact, the save file corrupts if you try to savescum.
Which is awesome, I guess, if a bit annoying for my 'chievs.
Well that explains why my fascist Hungary game doesn't work anymore.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 29, 2016, 11:02:19 pm »

Well I just found out that it makes a new corrupted save, but the old one eventually comes back and is fine.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 30, 2016, 02:55:35 am »

EDIT: Actually, reading over the most recent DD, there's some pretty shitty stuff in there.

This new feature gives you access to history over combats for the selected command groups in the theater. Summarizing losses to combat damage, attrition, any combat modifiers that were present and breakdown on losses to air. The idea is for you to be able to analyze the situation after the combat is over. This part will be available for everyone as part of the free 1.3 "Torch" Patch. For people who get Together For Victory there are also two more tabs available letting you dig into lists of equipment losses for you and enemies and check out performance of division templates involved in the fighting.

From what I understand, the only way to check equipment losses for yourself through this summary is to buy the DLC. Locking QoL improvements behind DLC seems like a shitty way to go.

Far better than the alternative. I'd look at EU4; EU4's become a bloated mess from all the little DLC gameplay features that were introduced, abandoned, and then either "fixed" out of the blue by future DLC or made completely redundant. Sometimes they've had to maintain two parallel versions of the same mechanics (a "free" and DLC version) and the result is that both suffer and the game grows ever more inflexible. The paid mechanics are rarely moddable and usually make the game significantly easier, so for an EU4 overhaul mod I'm writing I'll probably end up having to explicitly say that half the expansions are incompatible with the mod, and just eliminate their content altogether.

So when they add little things like UI improvements, character/nation designers, save replayers/converters, etc., be glad they're not completely changing core mechanics with DLC, gating essential features, or trying to "sell power" in a single player game. IMO they should either stick to the real expansion model where they're all considered essential for the full experience and updates stop if you don't have them, or they should not sell any gameplay mechanics and stick to utilities, graphics packs, and QoL stuff. The former is harmful if the expansion turns out to be crap, but trying to have it both ways just creates too many problems.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 30, 2016, 01:38:23 pm »

EDIT: Actually, reading over the most recent DD, there's some pretty shitty stuff in there.

This new feature gives you access to history over combats for the selected command groups in the theater. Summarizing losses to combat damage, attrition, any combat modifiers that were present and breakdown on losses to air. The idea is for you to be able to analyze the situation after the combat is over. This part will be available for everyone as part of the free 1.3 "Torch" Patch. For people who get Together For Victory there are also two more tabs available letting you dig into lists of equipment losses for you and enemies and check out performance of division templates involved in the fighting.

From what I understand, the only way to check equipment losses for yourself through this summary is to buy the DLC. Locking QoL improvements behind DLC seems like a shitty way to go.

Far better than the alternative. I'd look at EU4; EU4's become a bloated mess from all the little DLC gameplay features that were introduced, abandoned, and then either "fixed" out of the blue by future DLC or made completely redundant. Sometimes they've had to maintain two parallel versions of the same mechanics (a "free" and DLC version) and the result is that both suffer and the game grows ever more inflexible. The paid mechanics are rarely moddable and usually make the game significantly easier, so for an EU4 overhaul mod I'm writing I'll probably end up having to explicitly say that half the expansions are incompatible with the mod, and just eliminate their content altogether.

So when they add little things like UI improvements, character/nation designers, save replayers/converters, etc., be glad they're not completely changing core mechanics with DLC, gating essential features, or trying to "sell power" in a single player game. IMO they should either stick to the real expansion model where they're all considered essential for the full experience and updates stop if you don't have them, or they should not sell any gameplay mechanics and stick to utilities, graphics packs, and QoL stuff. The former is harmful if the expansion turns out to be crap, but trying to have it both ways just creates too many problems.

The CK2 version of this worked much better; start with only Christians playable, and add other religious groups as DLC. Thus isolating new mechanics in a sensible fashion (ie per religion). And unsurprisingly the worst CK2 expansions are those that focus on gameplay improvements across the board (Conclave, Way of Life, Reaper's Due (so far)).

Sadly I bet most people would be pretty pissed if EU5 started off, "You can only play European countries" and sold other areas of the world as DLC.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 30, 2016, 01:51:40 pm »

^this

CK2 is, with one exception I can think of, the same game no matter what DLC you have.  The DLC just limits when you can play as, and who you can play as.  The exception I can think of is the retinues DLC, and yeah that's pretty bad.  But once you're in a position to have retinues the game is already much easier anyway so it kinda sorta evened out in an accidental way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 15, 2016, 01:38:32 pm »

It's out. I guess.

Reviews have been mixed at best, apparently everyone is tired of their DLC scheme now.
Was kind of hoping for something new from paradox so this is pretty disappointing.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 15, 2016, 03:45:19 pm »

^this

CK2 is, with one exception I can think of, the same game no matter what DLC you have.  The DLC just limits when you can play as, and who you can play as.  The exception I can think of is the retinues DLC, and yeah that's pretty bad.  But once you're in a position to have retinues the game is already much easier anyway so it kinda sorta evened out in an accidental way.

In a roundabout way, that describes this DLC almost exactly. Except that you could play the nations already, they just had crappy generic focus trees. Now they've got better ones, there's a slightly more fleshed out autonomy system and tech-sharing system, a few custom techs, but that's about it.

There was nothing stopping you going commie Canada or facist Australia before. Just now it's more fun, yet with bigger incentives to stay historical as well. There wasn't much reason to stay historical beforehand, now there's lots of reasons to go in any particular direction with those nations.

So maybe not CK2 levels of difference in ideologies/peoples/religions, but that's kinda baked into HOI 4 from the word go. Switching "cultures" is one of the fundamental reasons for playing the game, now there's "reasons". For the time period, the only two other cultures that could have any reasonable impact in game are neutral and not-involved, which would be boring. Getting 5 or so nations "culture identified" in a game with a fairly limited number of nations and cultures isn't too bad really for a WWII simulator. Commonwealth is a bit weird because they're spread out everywhere, but not such a bad starting point to see where DLCs are going, because they tended to have opportunities that say, Asian nations didn't have to go all whacky in WWII. Or different opportunities to fit into one of the 5 "culture" groups (Democracy, Commie, Facist, US aligned, own faction) in any case, and ones known about by a large percentage of the playing audience.

South America should be very interesting, and far more regionally based than this one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:06:12 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 15, 2016, 08:15:21 pm »

Not a terrible overview video of both the DLC and patch by Praetorian Hijinx:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmDHO6yV0Q

A bit fanboyish, but it covers a fair bit. He's got an Aussie (Commonwealth/Democratic) playthrough going too, which has just hit WWII in 1940. Might be good. He's going the "screw Europe, defend Indochina" route.

Possible 1 day techs from Commonwealth bonuses seem friggen amazing for the minor powers in the DLC. They might still be small, but they're definitely relevant as a power-bloc, because they should never completely lag behind in tech like before. Could be awesome in MP as well, if you structure research between the Commonwealth allies too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:20:38 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »

as a kiwi I got the new DLC mostly because it added the Bob Semple tank to New Zealand and realized New Zealand can potentially get 6 research slots as well as focuses that ad 10 percent construction speed and 4 factories...  this seams pretty op to me

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 15, 2016, 11:34:56 pm »

But that's HOI 4 for you. What you can get, and what you actually have the time and resources to get (when it matters), are two entirely different things.

Getting all the things is overly difficult, so you have choices and priorities. Especially when facing NZ. OP Kiwi :)

We're just lucky they didn't give them Exploding Sheep as well as that huge industrial capacity.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:37:55 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:27 pm »

They gave Canada zombies.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 16, 2016, 12:32:25 am »

Yeah, but that's historically accurate. It has to do with calling up bludging french or english canadian people (or lack thereof, so probably actual "proto-Canadians") that are trying to do an america on britain.

:Runs and hides as jingoistic patriotism sweeps the thread clear of all life. Fucking zombies:

((kinda think most countries have zombies now. Regardless of geopolitical "allegiance".  Fool me repeatedly, and my population really needs focus-time to give a shit about your next oil/trade/global domination war. Or can we send you the bill for the next one? Otherwise, zombie out))
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:08:04 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 51