Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103342 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2016, 11:18:57 am »

Is Italy's military in the road to war or equivalent scenario still as awful as it was in HOI3?
Arguably, but it's easier to get it to not be shit. Italy is even the tutorial faction.
That's reason enough to buy the game, thanks.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 30, 2016, 03:24:51 pm »

Together For Victory
Fleshing out nations in the British Commonwealth.
New focus trees for Canada and Australia.

Fun fact: Did you know that during WWII, Australian wartime recruitment scaled up so much that by the end they had recruited a whopping 10 divisions of infantry and 4 divisions of armor?
-_-
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2016, 07:00:07 pm »

Its also worth pointing out that a patch came out in September that had the aim of fixing a lot of problems people had with the AI. For example, "Japan will no longer see all the branches of its focus tree that cause it to go to war with another superpower as a checklist that must be completed at all costs" and "The AI has finally been informed that this is WORLD War 2, not Africa War 2, Guest Starring Some Other Continents."

Patch notes
Reddit's take
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 31, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »

Together For Victory
Fleshing out nations in the British Commonwealth.
New focus trees for Canada and Australia.

Fun fact: Did you know that during WWII, Australian wartime recruitment scaled up so much that by the end they had recruited a whopping 10 divisions of infantry and 4 divisions of armor?
-_-

Division manpower is a pretty variable number depending on nation and circumstances though.

However, at their peak, they had ~476k military personnel serving in the army at one time, or about 6.5% of the total population. In total there were about 730k that had served during WWII, or about 10% of the total 1945 population of the country. That's just the land forces, they had a few more in the navy and air "force" (originally 246 planes of pure air power!)

So HOI4's figures aren't really too far off for policies and recruitment figures for a non-major democratic power.

Imagine if we'd gone facist or commy. It would have been tanks for days with that sort of manpower pool still untapped.....

Or blokes with slightly pointy sticks actually. Industrial manufacturing isn't exactly Australia's strong point, even though we did do a fair bit back then. It'll be good to see how much the new tech-sharing helps out the actual quality of Aussie forces in the later game. I hope it allows for surprise(!) high-end aircraft carrier and marines tech in Paradox's usual early-DLC-patch balance style.

"You P-51? We P-51 too!"
"Fucking thieving Aussie bastards......"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:33:33 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 31, 2016, 06:44:43 pm »

Hopefully tech sharing will mean that they are adding in alot more tech to think about.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 05, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »

New dev diary was posted Wednesday, this time revealing a focus tree for South Africa. There's also something called continuous focuses, which sounds similar to the policies in EUIV

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-south-africa-together-for-victory.979679/
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #501 on: November 05, 2016, 08:08:19 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 08, 2016, 04:32:36 am »

Mmmm. I wonder how linked the continuous focuses are to the Commonwealth, or at least the nations that this patch/dlc is focusing on? Or does everyone get them due to their generic-ness?

Tech sharing seems to be available to all power-blocs from the description in the dev diary (Germany potentially helping SA tech-up), so hopefully everyone can choose a service to focus on too, especially if they're one of the ones stuck with the generic list still.

There might be a few little nations that end up being surprisingly fun to play with some better tech and military focuses, no matter how small they are in the grand scheme of things.

No word yet on NZ either. I have no idea what they'll do with that focus tree.....
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 26, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »

Turns out NZ gets a new local pattern tank, "Big Bob". Apparently copied from a US design that they saw on a postcard of all things.....

I'm not sure if they were serious. They probably were.

Oh, they definitely were. Enemies of the Commonwealth, quake in fear:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Semple_tank
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:17:56 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #504 on: November 26, 2016, 07:26:33 pm »

It was believed to be bulletproof.
This is the perfect summary of NZ tank production.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 26, 2016, 07:43:01 pm »

The aussies weren't much better for a while.

No engines for your tank? Just link three V8s together, that'll do it. No decent guns for 'em either? How's about we just gaffer-tape two little ones together? She'll be right mate :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 26, 2016, 07:46:59 pm »

I have to give one HUGE credit to the game developers... something that is unheard of for Paradox.

They really went the extra mile to include a lot of updates without relying on DLC even with a season pass already paid for (assuming the developer diary isn't updates about an upcoming DLC... which given this is Paradox... the kings of nickel and diming... I wouldn't be surprised).

This might be the least rip offy Paradox game IF I am correct... at least so far.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 26, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »

I have to give one HUGE credit to the game developers... something that is unheard of for Paradox.

They really went the extra mile to include a lot of updates without relying on DLC even with a season pass already paid for (assuming the developer diary isn't updates about an upcoming DLC... which given this is Paradox... the kings of nickel and diming... I wouldn't be surprised).

This might be the least rip offy Paradox game IF I am correct... at least so far.

Have you read the dev diaries? They pretty explicitly state that they're about the upcoming DLC.

EDIT: Actually, reading over the most recent DD, there's some pretty shitty stuff in there.

This new feature gives you access to history over combats for the selected command groups in the theater. Summarizing losses to combat damage, attrition, any combat modifiers that were present and breakdown on losses to air. The idea is for you to be able to analyze the situation after the combat is over. This part will be available for everyone as part of the free 1.3 "Torch" Patch. For people who get Together For Victory there are also two more tabs available letting you dig into lists of equipment losses for you and enemies and check out performance of division templates involved in the fighting.

From what I understand, the only way to check equipment losses for yourself through this summary is to buy the DLC. Locking QoL improvements behind DLC seems like a shitty way to go.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:02:27 pm by Glloyd »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 26, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »

the kings of nickel and diming.

You say that, but Paradox has always operated in this fashion, they've been operating on the model of lots of DLC and expansions since about EUIII (2007.) There are companies much much much worse than Paradox, and FURTHER MORE, Paradox is one of the most active and responsive development studios--so the fuck are you on about??? Go rant about EA or Ubisoft or Microsoft or even Activision, leave Paradox out of that conversation.

EDIT: Paradox has always updated the game first or included free content updates with DLC when players have felt disenfranchised, btw/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:06:26 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 26, 2016, 08:19:09 pm »

leave Paradox out of that conversation

May I add that Paradox is the company that for one of their games they sold expansions AND the visual assets of that expansion AND the audio assets of that expansion... all separately.

It is also the same company that intentionally leaves content out to resell it to the consumer (Tropico 5).

They certainly are the most prolific. The only thing they haven't done is absolutely useless DLC in everyway possible... which was last done by... Let me check... Monolith studios... Huh.

I guess I wouldn't be on Paradox's case if it wasn't ALWAYS the case with them and they always go overboard... Unlike all those other companies you mentioned.

---

Anyhow I guess I retract my compliment since it seems like it is... completely untrue >_<
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:21:46 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 51