Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103470 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #405 on: June 22, 2016, 01:13:34 am »

March 29th, 1950. 9:00AM.

Adolf Hitler announces that Dutch and German forces have forced the unconditional surrender of the United States of America. Boo-yah.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 22, 2016, 03:34:10 am »

Woooooah that's a pixellated map, what are you running the game on?

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that inf+art is basically godly statwise, the only exceptions being tanks for breakthrough. It might be less of an AI thing and more of a division balance thing.
Hand-me-down laptop, same as I run all my games on :P  I don't care too much about graphics but this thing has a very limited harddrive space and that's a problem for me.  I want to try my hand at building a budget gaming computer but getting a job comes first.

I don't know if I'd say towed arty is broken.  The answer hinges on how useful they are on the attack, particularly into bad terrain like river crossings.  Because otherwise... a purely defensive soft attack unit is a limited niche at best.  A smart commander should be able to take territory on the attack without the leg infantry firing a shot.  At least not on any units that are in supply.  I'll have to try towed arty out to say for sure, as I didn't use any in my France game (except support arty on like every division ever).  Obviously all 3 types of towed cannons are useful, I'm just saying I'm not sure they're broken.  My jury is out.

I strongly suspect that most players in this game have never gone up against a good defensive line because the AI doesn't know how to build one.  You plop engineer equipped infantry and mountaineer divisions down along a natural border like a river at at least half combat width, and then you never move them.  The only function of those units is to ensure that if the enemy infantry attack they lose.  And preferably you stack as many air support/air superiority/decryption/weather/ect. bonuses to make the attackers' stats even more godawful.  Then you keep your mobile units and excess leg infantry in reserve nearby so that they can respond to any situation that comes up.

The AI builds its defensive lines where your border is.  Stop advancing at an open plain, and it'll dig its foxholes there instead of retreating into better ground.  It also has no respect for the length of a front, it'll happily defend some ridiculous curving line when it could easily consolidate it into something more sane (smaller fronts heavily favor defenders).  On top of that, it constantly weakens its own units prodding at enemy lines, leaving them understrength and disorganized when the attack finally does come.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 22, 2016, 04:45:10 am »

Protip: Don't use a mod that boosts all the Axis powers while forgetting to take off the mod you already have that also boosts Germany's ability to wage war, and they're somehow compatible. Japan knocked out China in a couple of years, and Germany steamrolled EVERYTHING except Norway, Sweden, and Finland (me again). The Italians took all of Africa. Luckily the AI is incapable of amphibious landings, so The Americas are safe until someone joins the Axis. Then they're still pretty safe, most joined the Allies when Germany went on a war-declaring spree. It's currently 1948 and Germany's been sitting troops at my border for a couple years now. I've been digging in, fortifying and entrenching in every way possible throughout the game, and managed to avoid being sucked into war. We are also nuclear-capable. My air force is weak, but I should be able to get superiority somewhere I can nuke if need be.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 22, 2016, 04:47:52 am »

I've been watching a bunch of LPs (too poor to buy this atm), and I have a question. Are units special, or is a 1940 Heavy Tank the same as every other 1940 Heavy Tank, not matter if its called a tiger or a Sherman or whatever *

*Yeah, I'm just putting random names, but I think you can catch my drift.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:09 am »

I've been watching a bunch of LPs (too poor to buy this atm), and I have a question. Are units special, or is a 1940 Heavy Tank the same as every other 1940 Heavy Tank, not matter if its called a tiger or a Sherman or whatever *

*Yeah, I'm just putting random names, but I think you can catch my drift.
All units are made equal.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #410 on: June 22, 2016, 08:46:30 am »

Yeah, a '36 light tank is equivalent to a '36 light tank as far as I know. They'll have identical base stats. Variants can differ significantly of course.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 22, 2016, 03:43:30 pm »

What's the best nation to play if you want to send volunteers around and be a general nuisance to everyone without entering any war too soon?
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 22, 2016, 04:07:00 pm »

Soviets are pretty good for that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #413 on: June 22, 2016, 04:10:20 pm »

Soviets are pretty good for that.
Once you solve their initial, uh, 'industry issue' then yeah they're great for spreading russian blood all over the map. :)

The soviets are so fucked in the '36 start...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:57 pm »

The US too. If you have historical focus on, you'll either go to war in 38 or 41, likely 41, so you'll have some time to mess around and send volunteers to Spain, to China and to Europe once that shindig starts.

EDIT: If you're playing the Soviets right, you should have no troubles by the time WWII comes to your door. By 1940, you should own Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey and Finland at the least, and should've spent the last 4 years hitting up the industrial focuses and building military factories all over the country. If you're really on the ball, you'll have the Arabian Peninsula and Sweden on lock as well by the time you get dragged in. Only annoying part is that Iraq and the Arabian states will sometimes pop in and join the Axis if you're unlucky. If you can sweep them fast enough, that may not be an issue though. I took Turkey in four days, so I didn't have any issue there (naval landings in Istanbul and paratroops in Ankara). The AI is gonna be focused up on the border, because you'll be massing troops there, so paratroops and naval invasions can knock those small countries out before they step up their diplomatic game (You're the USSR, you're not going to use your transports once the big war swings around). Finland didn't join the Axis when I did it, but I hit Finland very early. Sweden, the war was in full swing but Sweden didn't join either side for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:24:08 pm by Glloyd »

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 22, 2016, 05:48:23 pm »

I guess the main opponents of the Cold War would be pretty good at proxy wars already. Thanks for the advice, now I gotta think about whether I wanna be semi-historical or go crazy on something.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 23, 2016, 05:16:17 pm »

I like this game a lot, but the AI is beyond weak at the moment. It feels pretty wrong to conquer the world as Iran, Poland or Republican Spain, steamrolling Germany, Japan, SU, and USA without much trouble due to the sheer incapability of the AI.

Things it currently doesn't do right, or doesn't do at all:
- Never changes division templates of existing divisions.
- Doesn't take into account forces when declaring war.
- Does pointless naval invasions constantly, bleeding manpower and equipment.
- Leaves some fronts entirely undefended.
- Doesn't defend against some naval invasions AT ALL
- Doesn't encircle
- Doesn't escape encirclement
- Doesn't trade for resources
- Doesn't build enough divisions or good enough divisions

The list goes on.

It'll probably be a pretty amazing game in a year or two. I have faith in Paradox. Right now it has the right basics, but lacks a halfway competent AI.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 23, 2016, 06:14:32 pm »

I like this game a lot, but the AI is beyond weak at the moment. It feels pretty wrong to conquer the world as Iran, Poland or Republican Spain, steamrolling Germany, Japan, SU, and USA without much trouble due to the sheer incapability of the AI.

Things it currently doesn't do right, or doesn't do at all:
- Never changes division templates of existing divisions.
- Doesn't take into account forces when declaring war.
- Does pointless naval invasions constantly, bleeding manpower and equipment.
- Leaves some fronts entirely undefended.
- Doesn't defend against some naval invasions AT ALL
- Doesn't encircle
- Doesn't escape encirclement
- Doesn't trade for resources
- Doesn't build enough divisions or good enough divisions

The list goes on.

It'll probably be a pretty amazing game in a year or two. I have faith in Paradox. Right now it has the right basics, but lacks a halfway competent AI.

This is an accurate diagnosis. However, I think it has a good base.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #418 on: June 23, 2016, 06:32:57 pm »

I am now Nazi Germany allied with Communist Poland which is in Axis and we fight against Falangist Poland and there's also second war I have with neutral Poland which has Allies on it's side and there's yet ANOTHER war with Democratic Poland which is apparently SOMEHOW allied with Soviet Union.

What the actual fuck. I just wanted Fascist Poland.

EDIT:
I am done with Hearts of Iron until someone adds Space Poland.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:38:32 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 23, 2016, 06:46:22 pm »

I am now Nazi Germany allied with Communist Poland which is in Axis and we fight against Falangist Poland and there's also second war I have with neutral Poland which has Allies on it's side and there's yet ANOTHER war with Democratic Poland which is apparently SOMEHOW allied with Soviet Union.

What the actual fuck. I just wanted Fascist Poland.

EDIT:
I am done with Hearts of Iron until someone adds Space Poland.

So what you are telling me, is that there are four Polands? Is that correct?

Only one can into space.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51