Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103371 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #435 on: June 28, 2016, 03:55:52 pm »

Jeeez. So I was playing as Little Entente France. In January 1938, war started when Germany asked for the Sudetenland and I said no. Then war went on. At some point, Germany attacked poland, dragging the allies in. Then the Comintern went to war with the allies.

Then things got annoying: Russia took Belgium and the Netherland, with the Reich have a handful of province. Now, that's when it became super annoying. Since both German and Russians where at war with the allies, Germany gets to use Red Low Countries as a staging ground to attack me, and I can't dislodge them.

Even more annoying, when I take back som Reich province, they return to the Netherland or Belgium. Russia can then just waltz in, take them, and I got those "exile division" thing. Lost a couple divisions that way.

In the end, I just cordonned off the low countries and went on, but that's a quarter of my army tied down for no good reasons.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2016, 12:14:05 pm »

Fuck Japan, those assholes.

It started off innocently enough with them puppeting china, so I figured east won't be much of an issue and I can easily grab a country or two before the allies get nosey and start handing out guarantees. Then, out of the freaking blue Japan decides it'd be nice to go to war with every single country in Asia, it also joins the Axis, and then every single country it warred joins the Comintern. World tension jumps from 15% to 70% in a matter of days and I'm stuck with no room to expand and the choice of starting the war with germany now or in two years when they ask for Danzig :V

Also something funny, not sure if it's the patch causing it or me having the historical focus off but in my last four games Nationalist Spain has won every single time, quite quickly too, not sure what's up with that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2016, 12:17:41 pm »

Also something funny, not sure if it's the patch causing it or me having the historical focus off but in my last four games Nationalist Spain has won every single time, quite quickly too, not sure what's up with that.
Funilly enough I suffer from the exact opposite.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:58 pm »

As France, I beat up Germany with my little Entente, then decide, "Why not beat the Soviets". Gosh it's brutal. I killed 3.5 millions Soviets (plus half a million Spaniards), at the cost of... 40k of my own. I think my tank divisions are OP.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2016, 11:41:39 pm »

The whole spain fiasco seems to depend on who sends volunteers first nothing else it's a little strange that both sides seem so weak and unable to actual defend themselves against three volunteer divisions.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 02, 2016, 03:15:54 am »

One thing that really gets me is the word "division" there.  A solid force of volunteer infantry, especially if the division has been increased in size, can be a surprising percentage of the total fores employed by their side.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 02, 2016, 03:21:55 am »

They can easily turn the tide if some good stuff is sent. My one germany game I just threw some light tanks and mountaneers at them. Tanks rampaged trough the south without anything being able to counter their armour while the mountaneers held up the northern parts of the country. One thing I'm not entirely sure of though is if lend lease works properly, does the AI actually use most of the stuff you send it if it's incapable of creating its own division types or editing existing ones.

Because stalling out Japan in China would be simple if you just pumped some much needed equipment into the Chinese forces since they have a bunch of manpower already and really only need some good AT and artillery to deal with the stuff Japan throws at them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2016, 03:31:47 am »

Lend-lease definitely works when you send stuff that the AI already uses, but other than that I think it's a crapshoot.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2016, 04:30:09 am »

I mostly use lend lease to get rid of stuff clogging my warehouses.

Edit: Any advice on air war? I'm fighting the UK, and it's a slog, I'm loosing 1000 planes a month, killing the same number of plane.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:25:26 am by Sheb »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2016, 08:59:16 am »

The most efficent way to win Spanish Civil War is to use your superior divisions to encircle enemy and then destroy them completly. They are unable to stop you from doing that and unable to replace the losses.

Edit: Any advice on air war? I'm fighting the UK, and it's a slog, I'm loosing 1000 planes a month, killing the same number of plane.
Get better plane.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 02, 2016, 11:49:25 am »

I don't know that you can do much about the air war. Just get your fighters somewhere you want to have air superiority and do that. It mostly seems to be a ressource war.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 02, 2016, 11:54:44 am »

More planes, and better ones. It shouldn't be very hard!

Build Max Airports and cram all 2000 slots with fighters.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 02, 2016, 12:40:07 pm »

Also...dont forget to use XP to make your fighters more agile....all planes have the exact same stats unless you pump them up with XP modifications and therefore it is impossible to get the upper hand except through raw numbers...that slight edge could push you over the top to dominate...also select a light aircraft manufacturer for that extra agility boost

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 02, 2016, 12:51:47 pm »

I mostly use lend lease to get rid of stuff clogging my warehouses.

Major problem with that is warehouse is always full of useless things that can't be lend leased (tier 0, captured stuff).

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2016, 01:39:18 pm »

When you assign ships to raiding convoys, do you make a large fleet at a chokepoint, or do you spread them over many areas in tiny fleets?

I spent an awful lot of time splitting my giant fleet into units of 5 destroyers or submarines and sending them all over the world. Then it dawned on me that it may be abstracted anyway, and all this effort was for nothing...

http://i.imgur.com/SnfKZeC.jpg
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51