Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103505 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2016, 08:06:25 pm »

Also, it feels like in some cases Generals don't get enough experience. I feel like if they should gain something from closing a front, or accomplishing encirclement, etc. etc.
I think generals need a bit of a boost in general (heh) to make up for the command cap. The bonuses aren't particularly stellar and half the time it's better to just promote them to make use of a bigger army.

EDIT: Is there a way to prevent the heavy losses thing when dropping in paratroopers? Or does that just always happen?
Drop them somewhere completely undefended?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:18 pm »

I do... does the unit weight affect it all? Should I be dropping 4-8 divisions in the same tile?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 18, 2016, 01:30:26 am »

Welp, after some not-entire-optimal decision making by me, and some INCREDIBLY lopsided military placement by the civil war code, I just won a 2 month civil war to put communists into power in France.  Now hopefully I will be accepted into the Comintern.

This is my first game (played very slowly due to RL concerns as well as lag due to graphics settings that have since been changed) and there's a LOT I would do differently given a chance to repeat things.  That being said getting France ready for war is an uphill battle on multiple levels, you make progress in one area only to realize you're hopelessly behind schedule or obsolete in another.  Anyway, I don't trust the Allied will or ability to protect me from sea, but Stalin... Stalin might be a very useful ally in a land war.  I certainly hope he is because I'm going to get cut to ribbons 1v1 against Germany.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #363 on: June 18, 2016, 03:32:06 am »

I have yet to see Stalin win against Germany, even when I'm playing as the USSR.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2016, 03:57:56 am »

Is the AI still as broken as it was on release day (AI not being able to send airplanes without following scripts, AI France doing jack shit, etc.)?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 18, 2016, 05:30:15 am »

From the LPs, I've been watching, the AI seems to be able to work the game. I was watching Shenry play as Germany, and he ignored air, and UK was flying crap all over him for quite a bit, and he had to put in some thought how to circumvent that. Some of that, was just spamming AA. Once he manage to conquer Russia, and had the peace term, his core production wasnt being as hammered to shit, and manage to make gain air superiority over Europe. Then started to go mess with the UK, who had initially 1k planes on defense, and when the air harassment started, they bumped it up to 3k.  He had to move his sub pens further into the black sea, as they were getting bombed by the UK.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 18, 2016, 11:13:06 am »

Is the AI still as broken as it was on release day (AI not being able to send airplanes without following scripts, AI France doing jack shit, etc.)?

Yes, but the only patch HoI has gotten since release was a hotfix so it's not surprising the AI hasn't gotten better. I think the first real patch is destined to be "sometime this month". I'm not used to having to wait almost a month for a post-release patch - most games seem to start ironing out release issues within a week - but what can you do.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:18:00 am by Rex_Nex »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 18, 2016, 09:35:29 pm »

Welp, after some not-entire-optimal decision making by me, and some INCREDIBLY lopsided military placement by the civil war code, I just won a 2 month civil war to put communists into power in France.  Now hopefully I will be accepted into the Comintern.

This is my first game (played very slowly due to RL concerns as well as lag due to graphics settings that have since been changed) and there's a LOT I would do differently given a chance to repeat things.  That being said getting France ready for war is an uphill battle on multiple levels, you make progress in one area only to realize you're hopelessly behind schedule or obsolete in another.  Anyway, I don't trust the Allied will or ability to protect me from sea, but Stalin... Stalin might be a very useful ally in a land war.  I certainly hope he is because I'm going to get cut to ribbons 1v1 against Germany.

Preparing for war is sometimes the most intense part. You might find the war is more even than you expect once it begins (or not, never played as a major so I don't know.) The Soviet's victory is dependent only two variables from what I've seen. A.) the number of fronts/wars/enemies Germany is fighting and B.) the year. The later war breaks out between Germany and Russia and the more foes Germany faces the more likely the Soviets are to win.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 18, 2016, 11:24:46 pm »

So for some reason I like playing Finland in my HoI games. After playing the tutorial (glad I did instead of assuming it was like HoI3) I kicked off a game as the Finnish. Went Fascist and by mid-'38 we formed the Axis powers with Germany. Eventually the war kicks off with the invasion of Poland. I send my subs out to hunt some shit, but otherwise stay out of the main war. And then the Soviets demanded some territory. I was like "Nah son" and so they declared war.

Now as this was my first game, my army was only a few units larger than when I started, and I was still in the process of building a couple of my first forts.

Initially the Soviets lined up on the border but did not invade, focusing instead on the German advance. And focus they did. My infantry were better trained and equipped, but my research was focused on the defensive. I could not just stand my ground however, as the Soviets were diverting forces to pounding back the European nations marching across their borders. The smaller nations were faring very well, managing to take some ground even, but the German forces were suffering devastating losses. Seeing my allies needed my help, I opted to besiege the Reds at Leningrad. Even though only two divisions led the assault, the Soviets decided to respond with multiple armored divisions pulled from the Western Front, some infantry from the same, as well as infantry positioned on my northernmost border.

My men fell back to their forts and the Russians advanced on all fronts. I smiled, proud of my soldiers holding their own against superior numbers. Their initial assault fell apart and we pressed our advantage. This did not last long, though. The German army, bogged down by the Dutch and the French, were still incapable of fighting off the Russians, so the Russians diverted more forces to the Finnish thorn in it's side.We began to incur losses all across the line, and so my forces dug in along a defensive line of fortifications cutting off the peninsula from the mainland. Once again the Soviet forces crashed against us like waves on the rocks, and like the waves were forced to pull back after every attempt. The Russians managed to fight the smaller European states to a standstill but were now forced to divert more forces to their Northern front, allowing Germany time to recover.

We were holding the Russians off, but they eventually got wise and just posted up along our line, sending their men back to cut off a still-floundering German advance. Once again we took advantage of our enemy's decisions and tore through their lines using our two best divisions to spearhead through to Leningrad as the bulk of my forces marched around from the surprisingly undefended north.

It was at this moment that the Southern Front finally imploded and the Germans were pushed back to Berlin. The European states capitulated left and right as the Soviets began to drown us in their corpses. We were dug in, but spread too thinly. The Soviet forces bogged us down while we tried to pull back to our defensive line, and their armor rolled into the capital unopposed. We capitulated, forced to our tiny island holding with one of the two spearheading units left to our command.

You may have noticed I did not mention the other two historic Axis Powers. That would be because Japan never gained steam in China and was beat to shit before the war in Europe even kicked off, and the Italians were decimated in the north by the French while Rome was invaded by the British. They made some gains in North Africa before being steamrolled, and were otherwise inconsequential.

300/10 their tears tasted like vodka while it lasted

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 19, 2016, 12:04:48 am »

Well first of all, @Man of Paper, that's awesome. I think HOI4's greatest strength is in the stories it creates.

As for my story, I'm really quite angry because I'm literally stuck in the world of 1984. Germany and Myself (Fascist Netherlands) control what is essentially Eurasia (I also have the infamous Airstrip One... Damn Brits [Great Britain, the south/western coasts of Norway, Sweden, France, Portugal, Spain, and Spanish North Africa are under my control]), Japan controls Eastasia, and the US has an Alliance that spans the entire Western Hemisphere. I'm embroiled in an unwinnable, but unloseable struggle for Australia and Northern South America, while my plans to invade the US (and thus end the war) are rendered useless by my lack of manpower (not totally gone, but I need some in the back pocket for an invasion) and (relatively) small navy. My paratroopers, one of the most elite armies in the world, cannot physically get close enough to the US to drop in (I suppose it could actually be achieved through the Carribean, but I wouldn't have enough forces [48 divisions at the most] to make it up the East Coast) and go full Man In The High Castle on them.

MEANWHILE, Germany--who has amassed over 1600 divisions, while the US only have ~350--has no plans to fight anywhere except over the remains of Africa, a massive, fetid battleground, Japan is lollygagging around, and Italy somehow lost 75% of it's full divisional strength. No Axis Power's navy really operates in a meaningful way, and only two actual fleets remain in the game--Great Britain's North Atlantic Fleet, being a generally nuisance and still actually containing battleships and carriers (due to them retaining control of the Isle of Mann and the Faroe Islands)--and Japan's Pacific Fleet, which has totally control of the Pacific, but remains in port--thus locking us in what is essentially eternal war.

It's 1947, both sides prepare for an invasion of the US that might never come.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 19, 2016, 02:16:13 am »

Invading the US would have been super difficult in real life even if we had lost most of our battles.  Mostly for logistical and economic reasons.

The best place to invade us would be from the east coast because a lot of our major cities, population, and industrial capacity is right there.  See: War of 1812.  But where is our biggest naval competitor?  In the Pacific, not the Atlantic.  Pushing in from the west would be like sweeping all of Europe including Russia; its a lot of distance and a lot of unfavorable terrain between Los Angeles and Washington.

That's why the US military is so focused on projecting power, because geography already has them covered in terms of defense.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 19, 2016, 08:46:53 am »

Canada is within striking distance of the most important american industrial centers.  Damn Canadians are up to something.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 19, 2016, 11:12:51 am »

My plan was originally to drive up through Mexico, but years of constructing supply bases and the Germany's annoying tendency to declare war on every. single. south. american. nation. makes it nigh impossible. I could drop in to Miami through Cuba and then ship over a second army, but like I said I'm not sure I could make it all the way up to DC and NYC.

EDIT: Also people seem to be raging that this is like... the worst Paradox game ever made. Which I think is a little silly, it's actually quite fun and already has a fair amount of replayability.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:39:53 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 19, 2016, 12:49:35 pm »

My plan was originally to drive up through Mexico, but years of constructing supply bases and the Germany's annoying tendency to declare war on every. single. south. american. nation. makes it nigh impossible. I could drop in to Miami through Cuba and then ship over a second army, but like I said I'm not sure I could make it all the way up to DC and NYC.

EDIT: Also people seem to be raging that this is like... the worst Paradox game ever made. Which I think is a little silly, it's actually quite fun and already has a fair amount of replayability.
It's a bit of a bandwagon and they're not criticizing it sensibly. "DLC Train! Wah!" is a bit silly when Fallout4 has already released more of a DLCtrain than EU4 or CK2 has (or close to) and it's barely been out for a year. And they don't mind IT.

Though some are valid points, like how it's "too simple", since that's something that has actually been changed between HoI3 and 4.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »

Honestly, I've enjoyed this way more than Stellaris. I've actually had fun playing this
, and I haven't had to force myself to slog through it like in Stellaris, so that's definitely a plus 1 for HoI 4.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 51