Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103611 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2016, 01:20:25 am »

Could you guys just make a thread in general discussion if you're going to keep arguing about Chamberlain's motives so we can get back to discussing the game?

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2016, 04:01:52 am »

Labling the USSR a "totalitarian" government with no elections is just wrong.
How should they have done it?

However, I think there's a fallacy when you're labeled paranoid when dealing with a supposed trotskyite plot, and basically a failure when you end up with a civil war (for some reason) when you don't deal with it (so in reality you weren't paranoid in the first place).
Why? That actually sounds realistic, and a common Paradox event where both options are bad for you. As for your accuracy concerns, the whole point of Paradox games are you deviating from what actually happened with some degree of realism, so you can have cool stuff like Poland nuking Germany.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Accuracy in the way that makes communists being depicted as communists and not just some kind of hijacked stereotype. So in a way, to keep the accuracy of all other characters or actors of a play except potentially yourself, while leaving the plot open (i.e. Poland nuking Germany).
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »

I actually think HoI3's HQ system is one of the worst systems Paradox has ever invented.  You have multiple different HQ units, all of which have different radio ranges and need to be in range of different units.  And then whenever the front moves forwards or back you have to move all of them alongside it.  Its a mess, and there's very little to justify it as there's no good way to gank enemy HQ units aside from them messing up.  The only thing to recommend it was the multiple leader levels for each troop, but even then it had the effect of diluting the effects of a commander and making all armies feel about the same in terms of command effectiveness.  You might have one unusually good commander in EU but in HoI 3 you're hardly going to get any noticeable difference when there are 5 levels of command.  And its not like anyone was going to each province like "this specific group of 3000 infantry needs +20% chance of elastic defense tactic."

This is probably too technical for a discussion here, but what's important to realize about HoI3 OoB is that the leader skill bonuses from most HQ levels aren't important (division and army group skill levels are the only relevant ones really, and sometimes theatre), and that trait dilution is at a relative level. So an "Army Group" that in reality only has 5 divisions directly attached to it will have the army group leader give 50% of their traits bonus to those divisions, as though they were a corps leader, and 25% from the theatre commander. This means that you can make a lean and flexible OoB where radio range and the need to constantly move many HQs forward is much less important, while having more concentrated trait sharing in places where it's relevant. You can have an army group with 4 divisions and an army, have a smaller force of <25 divisions that skips corps and armies altogether, or use any combination of configurations to get the quantity of divisions, radio range, or traits you want, and for me I find that extremely enjoyable to work out and see in action.

Even if you stick to a more rigid OoB as a major, there are benefits to having some small groups get a trait for river crossing, offensive/defensive, terrain specialty, etc, and it's only homogeneous if you choose to structure it that way.

I somewhat agree with the "press a button not to trip" analogy, but only because it's the AI that can't handle a complicated OoB, making a well-made OoB a player-only advantage. In HoI4 this AI disadvantage is improved, but only because the system has been made as brainless as possible. I would rather just give the AI +15% combat efficiency or something than cut out what I would consider one of HoI3's defining mechanics; maybe OoB could've been trimmed down a bit or made more focused on specialization rather than general bonus stacking, but eliminating it completely is almost a dealbreaker on its own for me (it's along the other changes that also make HoI4 feel like EU4 in WWII that bother me enough that I'll be steering clear of it).

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »

Speaking of WW2 misunderstandings, I think one of the worst ones is thinking the Nazis just wanted to kill the Jews. After all Jews were just half of the victims of the Holocaust and the Holocaust itself was just the beginning. After that, there were things ready for the Hunger Plan that would have killed 30 millions. Plus political and "hygienic" cleansings on top of that. 

This is the reason everyone should beware hatemongers, as sometimes the rhetoric they employ is not just a rhetoric but an actual ideology they will be more than willing to put into action if given a chance.

If I remember the Man in the High Castle (the book, not the show) correctly, the victorious Germans weren't known for killing the Jews - they were known for wiping out all of Africa (real world 1950 population ~225 million).

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »

Paradox is at it again with their shitty memes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2016, 05:53:09 pm »

I thought it was pretty funny

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2016, 06:00:22 pm »

5/7
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2016, 06:34:24 pm »

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2016, 06:51:23 pm »

So just a general question over here. What would you guys recommend as a nation that would help me learn the game faster? The big nations seem pretty big and intimidating so far.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2016, 06:56:50 pm »

So just a general question over here. What would you guys recommend as a nation that would help me learn the game faster? The big nations seem pretty big and intimidating so far.

The Netherlands is a fun first nation and con contribute a lot to the war effort with the proper care. Sweden would probably be a good start. Nothing happens in S. America. You could try Japan as you would go largely uncontested.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2016, 06:57:23 pm »

If you don't want to play the tutorial, pick whichever country strikes your fancy. You'll lose the first few games anyway, so just jump in and see how it goes.

I've played three games so far as Yugoslavia, Portugal, and France, and got my arse kicked every time. It's great fun.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »

some tips right off the bat, infantry are the best defense. Combined with air superiority/air support they're an incredible obstacle to overcome. A good attacking army is harder to come by.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »

Play as the US to be honest.

1. You can learn naval invasions and conquest mechanics with the Venezuela national goal
2. You learn how to cause coups
3. You learn naval combat by dealing with Venezuela and Japan 
4. You have time to learn actual war without being overrun thanks to being on another continent
5. You have a generous industry already to let you figure out how economics work through experimentation

I played the US my first game and I figured it out very quickly.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:57 pm »

China is probably the easiest.

Step 1) Build infantry
Step 2) Use infantry.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51