Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103551 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2016, 10:05:36 am »

Its definetly much noob-friendlier than previous HOI games in my opinion (and has better UI too, again only my opinion) or any other Paradox Games, but yeah its a Paradox Game, if he liked Panzergeneral he might like this more, he also might not.

If it simply about accessibility this might actually not be a bad bet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2016, 10:24:07 am »

I feel like the Reich is actually quite underpowered in the game. My Dutch infantry has been wrecking their motorized and light armored divisions for two years and they have almost no air force whatsoever.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2016, 10:40:37 am »

I feel like the Reich is actually quite underpowered in the game. My Dutch infantry has been wrecking their motorized and light armored divisions for two years and they have almost no air force whatsoever.

If you started in 1936 they might have the same supply issue America has and has to get back up to speed, but the AI seems horrible at it. Also, were you doing research? I spent from 1936 to 1942 as America just building civvie factories and doing research and we already had assault rifles and crap, so when England called me into the war in 1942 my infantry only divisions (don't forget to have a general do exercises early, i didn't even know about that when i was building up, so I didn't have advanced division formations D:) i utterly smashed German occupied France with only one army of 24 infantry divisions.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2016, 10:42:53 am »

Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling that by making lower tier countries more playable, they buffed them up a bit, and now Germany might seem a bit underpowered?

Or maybe it's just a case of the AI being no match for any human-controlled country/faction? They don't seem to be able to compete with a human-controlled micro battle plan. They sit timidly on the border when they could take advantage of gaps. I wonder if they be buffing the AIs ability to be aggressive and actually provide more of a fight?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2016, 11:07:25 am »

Are you playing with historical focus AI on tho? That might explain the sluggishness and underpreparedness of the AI since it'll try to follow history even if the world is vastly different than what it was.

Tho I agree that a lot of the smaller nations are now very viable for world conquest, I'm not sure if this is good or bad tbh, but it's certainly fresh and gives some more variety for fucking about.

I still haven't figured out the best approach for superpowering Poland, regardless of going facist or communist, the first you countires you annex are critical since after a certain point anyone you justfy against will get insta guaranteed by the allies which makes warring them a problem since you can't cover all you fronts effectively. Plus sucking up to either russia or germany is still a crapshoot since either can usually crush you if you don't prepare properly for it, and most of the preparations will usually be aimed at taking as much territory as possible early on.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2016, 11:13:58 am »

Can't you just sort of focus all manpower into army and overwhelm Germany right from the start as Poland? I don't think they should start with that many divisions as to make this sort of plan impossible, especially with good micro... historically, they've actually got a significant portion of their army and equipment from annexing Czechoslovakia, and that comes in 1937/1938.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2016, 11:16:11 am »

You don't have the factories to equip that many divisions.

Also, AFAIK, historical focus only change the national foci they choose.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

Nah, I think it influences behaviour too, since in my first game I got stomped by the USSR because of the molotov pact they had with germany, even tho I joined the germans shortly after they signed it. So they still wanted a chunk of the sweet sweet polish clay even tho I was now a part of the axis.

As far as stomping germany early on goes, it might be doable, but as Sheb said, you'd need a ton of equipment to get your divisions to a useful level. And even then I think some of the early tanks they get would still pose a problem unless you specifically went for AT guns to counter them, which again isn't the most optimal strategy.

Still, it might be worth a shot to go after the czechs first and then gun straight for beril somehow. Will give it a try, maybe tonight if I find the time.
AS - IG

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »

I'm playing Poland right now and doing really well. (note: Not playing historical)

Conquer Romania first, then Hungary. Romania is an easy first pick and no one will justify at 0 world tension. Hungary is Fascist, so same thing.

Form a faction with the Baltics, and pick up Yugoslavia, Finland, so on. They'll be super terrified of you and give in pretty easy if you're not at war.

Now the hard part here is avoiding a Communist + Axis war that will destroy your little neutral faction. I ended up conceding some territories to the Germans to delay them until they went to war with France, and then attacked them when they were fighting the Allies for a 2 pronged war. After crushing the relatively weak early Germans I was able to turn my attention to the Russian bear as it woke up. Italy was always a thorn but the allies eventually tore them up.

Russians are good on defense, bad at offense with their gazillions of infantry. I managed to stall them out, with only 200k casualties to their 3 million. With a democratic coup in their backside it was an easy counter push to Moscow (make sure to have lots of tanks). The Russian federation ended up taking over, so my brief instant of a Poland empire immediately vanished, but nevertheless the Communist threat was gone. Now I sit here, wondering why I'm at war with Japan if I can never reach them and why there's no way to offer them a peace treaty. I'm also wondering how the spoils of war are divvied up since both my faction and the allies are at war with the Axis.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:01:25 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2016, 01:03:29 pm »

Hmm was hoping one of my Steam friends would be playing this game so I could watch. YOUTUBE AWAY!!!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »

I played Historical yes. Anyways, it's 1945. The war was essentially over in 1943. The Dutch Army captured Berlin, Defeated the German army in Sweden and took Rome in Italy. Defensively they are possibly the best equipped and best prepared military in the world. Offensively, they are competent, on par with the other militaries of the time. Germany was too easy a nut to crack. Italy was the only real trouble. USA invaded Japan with almost no resistance, at some point Japan lost the vast majority of it's ground forces in China... Not sure how. I'm playing on normal difficulty. Wasn't very challenging. The only time I was actually worried about Germany was during the Battle of France.

EDIT: I wish there was a way for you to request volunteer or expeditionary forces. It's really annoying when you're just short of troops to win the war and the Allies are being intransigent about their deployment.

EDIT: Now i'm gearing up for the Cold War, I think all the fighting's over though. We'll see I guess.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:37:13 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2016, 02:46:42 pm »

Yeah, the historical focus is really good at recreating the war up to France getting knocked out, but in the three games I've done, Germany always has trouble sealing the deal with Norway.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2016, 02:53:37 pm »

Yeah, the historical focus is really good at recreating the war up to France getting knocked out, but in the three games I've done, Germany always has trouble sealing the deal with Norway.

I wonder if Germany would have an easier time with the 1939 start vs. the 1936. Less secondary nations with generic trees building up giant 50+ division armies for them to have to push through.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »

What factions are you allowed to play as anyhow?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2016, 03:05:33 pm »

Any country that existed at the time, the three main factions of Axis, Allies and Comintern and certain nations get the option of forming their own factions during the game.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 51