Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48113 times)

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2015, 05:37:51 pm »

Can you make a stage for performers in taverns? Like making the dance floor area up a z level? And will listeners and watchers gather at the bottom of the stage like a proper crowd or will they just go up on stage also?

I will likely begin testing my idea into island colonization tonight, establish several fortresses on an island by myself and attempt to generate visitors across fortresses. Im playing each fort until stable food and drink and lodgings are established and a tavern fully set up at least. Perhaps after i do three or four i should try and make and retire an adventurer or two on this island as well.
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2015, 04:08:13 am »

You can associate an area anywhere with a tavern, so have the dance floor upstairs is possible. I wouldn't expect those beneath to react to it, though, but that's purely a guess.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2015, 04:12:50 am »

Can you make a stage for performers in taverns? Like making the dance floor area up a z level? And will listeners and watchers gather at the bottom of the stage like a proper crowd or will they just go up on stage also?

I will likely begin testing my idea into island colonization tonight, establish several fortresses on an island by myself and attempt to generate visitors across fortresses. Im playing each fort until stable food and drink and lodgings are established and a tavern fully set up at least. Perhaps after i do three or four i should try and make and retire an adventurer or two on this island as well.

Let us know how it works.

I need a really boss temple design. It can't be huge due to limited resources and space, but I want it to look really nice. I'm thinking something round ideally.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 18, 2015, 07:36:36 am »

I would guess that dwarves cannot see the performer if they're not on the same z-level, as this tends to be the norm.  For dancing specifically, I think most dances are large routines with a lot of dwarves participating and the fun is to join in, rather than watch from the sidelines.  Like I see dwarves with the job "Listen to Story" but not so much "Watch Dance", but I may just be missing it. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2015, 09:51:29 am »

I have seen Watch Dance.  Dancing tends to take up a lot more space than the other activities so you probably won't see dancing unless you have a large area.

More generally I don't know why sometimes dwarves choose to dance rather than sing, recite poetry, play instruments, socialize or tell stories.  Does their choice of activity depend on their personality, their skill, or something else?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2015, 10:32:29 am »

Yup. Dwarves don't go in for our very modern concept of a strict division beween "performers" and "audience".
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2015, 10:33:11 am »

Wasn't there something in the devlog a bit back about dwarves preferring to choose certain jobs over others? I'd be surprised if performances didn't have anything to do with it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2015, 11:23:30 am »

In my fort, My dwarves just don't play any music, or dance anymore. I've had  few musical performances, and lots of dances in year 1 and 2, but for the past 10 dwarfyears, dwarves rarely, if ever play music or dance anymore. Sometimes they tell a story, but 90% of all performances nowadays is 'recite poetry' and 'listen to poetry'. If they're not reading a book in the library, that is.

Not sure what caused this behaviour. It could be related to the fact that all my dwarves know about 30 poems, but only 1 or 2 muscial pieces and dances. Apparently the more poems a dwarf knows, the more he will favour reciting poetry over any other performance type. It probably has to do with the elf, dwarf and human poet whom I'd granted residence in my fort's early days.
Hell, even the musicians I granted residence at about the same time, recite poetry instead of making music.

If you are wondering, my tavern does have a dance floor, coffers and instruments. Same size dancefloor it had back when there still was some music and dance.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2015, 11:30:30 am »

In my fort, My dwarves just don't play any music, or dance anymore. I've had  few musical performances, and lots of dances in year 1 and 2, but for the past 10 dwarfyears, dwarves rarely, if ever play music or dance anymore. Sometimes they tell a story, but 90% of all performances nowadays is 'recite poetry' and 'listen to poetry'. If they're not reading a book in the library, that is.

Not sure what caused this behaviour. It could be related to the fact that all my dwarves know about 30 poems, but only 1 or 2 muscial pieces and dances. Apparently the more poems a dwarf knows, the more he will favour reciting poetry over any other performance type. It probably has to do with the elf, dwarf and human poet whom I'd granted residence in my fort's early days.
Hell, even the musicians I granted residence at about the same time, recite poetry instead of making music.

If you are wondering, my tavern does have a dance floor, coffers and instruments. Same size dancefloor it had back when there still was some music and dance.
I was wondering this too. 42.01 my dwarves seem to do a lot of dancing. 42.03 I haven't seen a single dance.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Urist_McUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »

So far ive only had my first caravans liason hang about and tell stories, and a few locals telling stories.

No proper test of having a raised stage yet. However my island empire seems to have hit a small snag, all my first waves for the second fort are all dwarves from the first fort, so now I'm going back to see who is left. If this is an issue i think leaving adventurers on the island will help
I am an angry person. It's true. Anti-social misanthrope with a complete lack of an ability to tolerate stupidity. So if you say something stupid to me, or try and insinuate I must just be misunderstanding or doing something wrong, I will probably yell at you. Always take me at my word when I explain something. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply being honest, in a world where the average intellect is potato. Unhelpful patronizing "help", deserves a snappy retort. Grow some thicker skin.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »

Interestingly, goblins are the experts on poisons. Perhaps I should allow goblin scholars after all...

Also, some of my favorite books:

"About Ores" - dwarven indeed

"Secret Minerals" - ... adamantine? Is that you?

"The Furnace And Other Topics" (blast furnaces?! I can't wait until we can actually make them...)

"Metals and Beyond" (alloys FTW!)

"Poisons, My Life" (and quite possibly the end of it)

"The Future of the Scratch Test" (quite good, actually)

"Life with Hardness" (queue the jokes)

"Give Me Ores" (now)

"Minerals After The End" (...)

"Pathways To Reproduction" (aka how to pick up chicks)

"Can Fire Save The World" (written by a chemist, no doubt a mad scientist)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2015, 03:17:28 pm »

That is a perfect description of what I'm seeing as well.

I was wondering if maybe there is some musical instrument requirement that we don't know about. Like maybe instruments x,y,z all have to be in the tavern at the same time for them to play the few songs that they know. Maybe that was why we saw singing earlier. Since they could simulate instruments they didn't need the right ones. Maybe I need to do some more research into exactly what my known music forms call for and try to make sure I have those on hand. It's just a hypothesis...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2015, 09:21:07 pm »

I've also had a dominant form of art in my fortress. In mine, it's some kind of two-person singing form. It probably makes up 60% of total performances, with storytelling making up most of the remainder.

They have 3-4 other forms of music and dance, but rarely perform it. They did at first, but gradually "The Silken Incense" form became popular.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2015, 07:56:14 am »

What do I do with instruments that are built with the "I" command? I placed those in the tavern, but they are not counted, and never used. Am I missing something?

Also, somebody brought in my library a scroll made of forgotten beast leather. That's cool.

And I have a weird astronomy book named "First the Stars, then the World!"... seems kind of backwards.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2015, 11:02:03 am »

silly idea but has anyone design a tavern where there's 2 entrances the dwarven one and the one where all the new guests come in where it's decked with weapon traps and sawblades and spikes.
and anyone who survives this gets to drink fine masterpiece dwarven ale?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16