Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48070 times)

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 01:27:22 am »

Set an unskilled Dwarf to be a scholar. He spent a long time Pondering the Sun, and now he's a novice Astronomer.
Set a Dwarf with Novice mechanic to be a scholar in the same library. The two dwarves spent some time Discussing "The Screw." First dwarf is now a dabbling mechanic.
Set a Dwarf with Adequate Diagnostician to be a scholar in the same. He spent some time Discussing "Pulmonary Medicine" with the other two, who are both now dabbling diagnosticians.

Seems like you'll probably want any medical dwarves to be scholars - they'll share knowledge with eachother, and in the process, the time they spend Pondering various medical topics will probably keep them from getting rusty, and maybe even bump a skill up a rank or two. Hopefully Pondering is a lower-priority task than medical treatment.

Still haven't had anyone write a book. Is the Writer skill necessary?

My scribe finally copied a book. On the Location screen, (l), there's a field entitled "Total number of each to scribe." I'm interpreting that as the number of copies of each distinct book you want in that library. If that number is higher than the number of copies you currently have, your scribe might(??) get around to copying them at some point(??).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:51:41 am by Moonshadow101 »

Unknown-Figure1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:32 am »

I've got a tavern and library set up. Both of which are essential for Urist University.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 08:56:00 am »

I've tried both, he's still toting it around. More strangely, my bartender is carrying around an empty stone pot and using it to bash in the heads of rhesus macaques.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That one strikes me as more of a feature.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:51 am »

Okay, I'm starting to generate questions.  I've got a tavern and a tavern keeper, but he doesn't seem to do much tavern keeping.  I've got  lots of tables and chairs, some empty space and containers in the tavern.  Does their need to be food/drink stored in the tavern or something? 

Also temples are befuddling me.  The only way I can figure out to start a Location is to use a table, which doesn't make sense for temples.  I've got several nice temples dedicated to specific deities, and one crummy temple dedicated to no one in particular and the crummy one gets a lot more visitors.  I've assigned a performer to the crummy temple, but he doesn't seem to do much. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 12:18:41 pm »

Okay, I'm starting to generate questions.  I've got a tavern and a tavern keeper, but he doesn't seem to do much tavern keeping.  I've got  lots of tables and chairs, some empty space and containers in the tavern.  Does their need to be food/drink stored in the tavern or something? 

Also temples are befuddling me.  The only way I can figure out to start a Location is to use a table, which doesn't make sense for temples.  I've got several nice temples dedicated to specific deities, and one crummy temple dedicated to no one in particular and the crummy one gets a lot more visitors.  I've assigned a performer to the crummy temple, but he doesn't seem to do much.

All the new locations can be set using zones, 'i'. Set down a meeting hall zone where you'd like the location to be, and you'll see the option to make it a specific location from there. If I'm remembering right, it's 'l' (which will bring up a list of all locations if you have any) and then 'a' to add a new one. :3

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 01:15:29 pm »

Update on taverns, in adventure mode they say that they charge for drinks or rooms. But it looks like I can just ask for drinks and get one without having to pay at all.

Also, humorously, it's customary to drop your mug when you're finished with the drink. The tavernkeeper then runs up, picks up the mug, and stashes it in the storage container he got it from.

I gave the mug back to him using the "settle debts" option, and then I sold him some of the meat I started with for 2 coins. He drank(!) the meat and then dropped the mug.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »

Set an unskilled Dwarf to be a scholar. He spent a long time Pondering the Sun, and now he's a novice Astronomer.
Set a Dwarf with Novice mechanic to be a scholar in the same library. The two dwarves spent some time Discussing "The Screw." First dwarf is now a dabbling mechanic.
Set a Dwarf with Adequate Diagnostician to be a scholar in the same. He spent some time Discussing "Pulmonary Medicine" with the other two, who are both now dabbling diagnosticians.

Seems like you'll probably want any medical dwarves to be scholars - they'll share knowledge with eachother, and in the process, the time they spend Pondering various medical topics will probably keep them from getting rusty, and maybe even bump a skill up a rank or two. Hopefully Pondering is a lower-priority task than medical treatment.

My scribe finally copied a book. On the Location screen, (l), there's a field entitled "Total number of each to scribe." I'm interpreting that as the number of copies of each distinct book you want in that library. If that number is higher than the number of copies you currently have, your scribe might(??) get around to copying them at some point(??).

I set up a little medical college, and my scholars now spend time discussing Bandages! and Traumatic Injuries! Unfortunately though, my chief medical dwarf got wrapped up in a discussion of foraging habits, and wouldn't diagnose patients until I removed him from scholarship duty. One of those patients was a human dancer with multiple broken limbs. She dragged herself out of bed, still undiagnosed and untreated, cancelled a "claim item" task because she was too injured, and dragged herself up multiple flights of stairs to the tavern where all the other dancers were hanging out. She remains untreated to this day.

My main scholar has written quite a few books on any number of subjects. The Writer skill isn't necessary and doesn't need to be enabled; I think it just governs the quality of the structure of the book, while Wordsmith governs the quality of the prose. At any rate, Doctor Urist's writing has gotten a lot better since his first effort (he started out "Hopelessly self-indulgent, prose passable at best" and is now "not great, but not awful either.")

The only suggestion I have is to flood the fort with writing material, and make sure that the library has plenty of coffers and tables.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 02:15:15 pm »

I didn't know we could have actual schools now, that's awesome!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2015, 03:47:47 am »

Update on taverns, in adventure mode they say that they charge for drinks or rooms. But it looks like I can just ask for drinks and get one without having to pay at all.

Also, humorously, it's customary to drop your mug when you're finished with the drink. The tavernkeeper then runs up, picks up the mug, and stashes it in the storage container he got it from.

I gave the mug back to him using the "settle debts" option, and then I sold him some of the meat I started with for 2 coins. He drank(!) the meat and then dropped the mug.
Report it on the bug tracker. Looks like DF's getting confused as to which item is which.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 11:20:13 am »

I set up a little medical college, and my scholars now spend time discussing Bandages! and Traumatic Injuries! Unfortunately though, my chief medical dwarf got wrapped up in a discussion of foraging habits, and wouldn't diagnose patients until I removed him from scholarship duty. One of those patients was a human dancer with multiple broken limbs. She dragged herself out of bed, still undiagnosed and untreated, cancelled a "claim item" task because she was too injured, and dragged herself up multiple flights of stairs to the tavern where all the other dancers were hanging out. She remains untreated to this day.

My main scholar has written quite a few books on any number of subjects. The Writer skill isn't necessary and doesn't need to be enabled; I think it just governs the quality of the structure of the book, while Wordsmith governs the quality of the prose. At any rate, Doctor Urist's writing has gotten a lot better since his first effort (he started out "Hopelessly self-indulgent, prose passable at best" and is now "not great, but not awful either.")

The only suggestion I have is to flood the fort with writing material, and make sure that the library has plenty of coffers and tables.
I always mod my dwarves to be quick learners, so migrants show up with a with great skill in multiple fields. I wonder how this will effect my scholars....

Is it possible to set up a library so that it only takes originals (or at least, only one copy of everything)? How about a library that only takes copies? Just thinking about library security here. If it can't be done, then maybe I should stick something in the suggestion forum about it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:51:46 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 01:23:38 pm »

Sweet, never would have guessed that was a thing.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »

After I make a library, do I have to keep it a meeting zone? My dwarves leave the tavern to socialize in the library. Not a huge issue but I find it kind of weird.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 02:13:06 pm »

After I make a library, do I have to keep it a meeting zone? My dwarves leave the tavern to socialize in the library. Not a huge issue but I find it kind of weird.
It doesn't seem to affect those assigned with occupations within the location, if you disable the meeting area flag.

On another note, my first book was produced within the fort.  A single page essay describing that scribes assignment from scholar to scribe.  Remarkably, it's being read in turn by many dwarfs in the fortress.  I guess when you've never had a book before, the first one is pretty popular.  It's called "The Great Broker" (he's assigned as the fort broker as well), so.. yeah, self indulgent?  Ya think? :)

EDIT:  And my scholars current job is "Ponder Time!" which.. actually means they're pondering the nature of Time, not like "Hammer Time!"
Second book:  Start your day with Flagsieges (that's the name of the fort/outpost) which is a guide to the fortress!  Pretty cool.  I'm now considering making a world without invasions/invaders, just elves, humans, and dwarves to see how far this bookmaking, musicmaking, and tavern thing can go..

I love seeing these procedurally generated works of art and stories.  Best thing evar.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:23:55 pm by vjek »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2015, 02:36:26 pm »

's called "The Great Broker" (he's assigned as the fort broker as well), so.. yeah, self indulgent?  Ya think? :)

One Urist McNecromancer in my world, as soon as he became a necromancer, sat down and wrote "Urist McNecromancer for Students", a textbook about himself, as a necromancer. Not surprisingly, the writing was described as extremely self-indulgent.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »

So, the whole children socializing causing an immediate crash.

How are people working around that? I have a really nice location that I enjoy, but just got a wave of immigrants with children that apparently want to talk to somebody.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16