Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48085 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 01:31:12 pm »

I think it's a safe assumption that this is the first release where our dwarfs are truly alive. They sing, dance, share thoughts and learn, etc.
It's incredible.

I already felt bad when they died.  Now it will be worse!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 02:17:00 pm »

Has anyone built a bardum (the pipe-organ instrument) yet? It sounds more like a piece of furniture than a carried instrument; confirmation that it's constructed like a building is kind of important to my tavern designs in particular. Also, using the one and only 100-table communal dining hall as the tavern: good idea or bad idea?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:19:59 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 02:18:39 pm »

Has anyone built a bardum (the pipe-organ instrument) yet? It sounds more like a piece of furniture than a carried instrument; confirmation that it's constructed like a building is kind of important to my tavern designs in particular. Also, using the one adn only 100-table communal dining hall as the tavern: good idea or bad idea?
Instruments are procedurally-generated and change depending on the civilization.  Each world gen will have completely different instruments.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 02:21:12 pm »

Has anyone built a bardum (the pipe-organ instrument) yet? It sounds more like a piece of furniture than a carried instrument; confirmation that it's constructed like a building is kind of important to my tavern designs in particular. Also, using the one adn only 100-table communal dining hall as the tavern: good idea or bad idea?
Instruments are procedurally-generated and change depending on the civilization.  Each world gen will have completely different instruments.

They must be drawn from a list, I've got what seems to be the same thing. I've not actually built it yet but it's on the agenda if the world is saveable. I've set up a little bandstand with three fimshels but nothing else. Should I be building the instruments though, or should they be left on the ground? The ones I've set up don't count toward the tavern's count, but they're definitely inside the zone.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 02:21:50 pm »

Fair enough. Has anyone built a pipe-organ or piano-like instrument yet? I need confirmation on whether or not such instruments are built as furniture.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 02:25:50 pm »

They must be drawn from a list, I've got what seems to be the same thing. I've not actually built it yet but it's on the agenda if the world is saveable. I've set up a little bandstand with three fimshels but nothing else. Should I be building the instruments though, or should they be left on the ground? The ones I've set up don't count toward the tavern's count, but they're definitely inside the zone.
From what I can tell from only generating 2 worlds so far, there seems to be a few sets of instrument types that then draw from randomized components to build them.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 02:30:56 pm »

From what I can tell from only generating 2 worlds so far, there seems to be a few sets of instrument types that then draw from randomized components to build them.
Are all the components randomized, or just the materials you need to make them out of? Have you seen instrument components that can be produced from a variety of materials eg; an instrument with pipes that can be made out of wood, bone OR metal?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 02:44:21 pm »

Are all the components randomized, or just the materials you need to make them out of? Have you seen instrument components that can be produced from a variety of materials eg; an instrument with pipes that can be made out of wood, bone OR metal?
I haven't gone through enough world gens to figure out the answers to either of those questions yet.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »

Very well. New question: do instruments placed in temples ever get played? If so, does music being played in temples seem to have any positive effect?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 02:49:04 pm »

Welp... there are quite a few buildings at Windstockade that could be retrofitted into taverns, temples, libraries, and whatnot.

This building could serve as a tavern...

...and the building next door would make a nice temple...

...and this building could serve as a library...

...if I ever get the interior finished...

...but, the problem is that my saves seem to be incompatible with 42.01 at the moment, as can be expected... (lotsa crashes and other horrors)

I should probably file a bug report while waiting for the next release...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 03:44:37 pm »

Pardon the double post, but a question for you peeps. Has anyone managed to hire rooms out? Are coins finally a thing again for that, or is there something else I'm missing?
Based on the little bit of adventure mode I played, I think they take coins. When my adventurer asked about the tavern services, the innkeeper replied that it cost 2 [coin name here] for a drink, and 10 [con name here] to rent out a room. (I had no coins whatsoever so I didn't try to buy a drink or rent a room, not sure if they'd barter for goods instead.) Also in the init files there is a [ZERO_RENT] tag set to NO by default, as well as [ECONOMY] set to YES. So it looks like the economy is back in business and minting coins will be more important to fortresses.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 03:48:18 pm »

Also in the init files there is a [ZERO_RENT] tag set to NO by default, as well as [ECONOMY] set to YES. So it looks like the economy is back in business and minting coins will be more important to fortresses.
Haven't those two options basically been placeholders ever since the economy was disabled way back when?  IIRC [ZERO_RENT] and [ECONOMY] have both always been in the init files, just not done anything.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 03:54:59 pm »

Also in the init files there is a [ZERO_RENT] tag set to NO by default, as well as [ECONOMY] set to YES. So it looks like the economy is back in business and minting coins will be more important to fortresses.
Haven't those two options basically been placeholders ever since the economy was disabled way back when?  IIRC [ZERO_RENT] and [ECONOMY] have both always been in the init files, just not done anything.
Whelp, my mistake then. The inns do seem to take some kind of currency for their services though.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 03:55:42 pm »

They have been in but I thought they were defaulted to the opposite in the last version? I may be wrong

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 04:13:00 pm »

Update on taverns, in adventure mode they say that they charge for drinks or rooms. But it looks like I can just ask for drinks and get one without having to pay at all.

Also, humorously, it's customary to drop your mug when you're finished with the drink. The tavernkeeper then runs up, picks up the mug, and stashes it in the storage container he got it from.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16