Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319023 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2580 on: September 02, 2024, 04:39:59 am »

Gothic was very realistic even by modern standards.

Trainers were meaningful, it wasn't just a better statistic. Your character's animations changed as they taught you how to fight with certain weapons.

NPCs had daily schedules where they were doing stuff during the day and at night they would go to sleep.

You could forge swords. They weren't that good, but there wasn't any formal swordsmith training either*. Still you could take an iron(?) blank and forge it all the way to a "crude sword" by actually doing "every" step** of the process. Or you could a take half finished blade and just do whatever steps were still needed.

Taking a (human's) life was somewhat of a taboo. A lot of the time killing a character (NPC or even the MC) was a deliberate choice, either by choice of weapon or outright executing them after the fight has already been won. It affected npcs' behavior toward the player and also gave few additional rewards (XP) compared to just beating them to a knockout. People in the prison colony were all criminals, they were used to fighting but they weren't murderhobos.

* Possibly do to cut content.
** Heating, forging, quenching, grinding.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: September 02, 2024, 09:38:19 am »

Just completed the "import/export" themed mission (the 4th mission) of the campaign in Tropico 4 and it's the mission that made me want to individually give the order to execute each dockers and teamsters instead of just firing them.
How many times i got a "freighter left with no exports on board" because those dockers were everywhere to fill their needs, except at the docks.
And those teamsters mysterious way of working that manage to not pick up the plants production for months in order to bring them to the docks because a teamster does not understand the concept of having "go to work ... or else" .
Yeah, I think one of  the hardest things in Tropico 4 is ensuring people have all their needs met close to home and that they live close to work. Dockworkers and construction workers (before you have enough money to speed up everything) are the most infuriating ones, that tend to be walking to some church half island away when you need them to be at work.

Also, you might already know that, but one of the most counterintuitive things with the way logistics work is that you don't want to have too many of the same product being made. I forgot the exact numbers, but if you have only one cigar factory or banana farm or w/e each teamster truck can pick up at most X units of it in one go, and that number gets lower the more of each building you have (IIRC X/2 bananas for 2 banana farms, X/3 bananas for 3 banana farms and so on).
That means you really gotta diversify your production (which is counterintuitive given the monoculture-driven economies Tropico is based on), otherwise you'll eventually have like half of your population working as teamsters and driving around with mostly empty trucks.

Tropico 4 atmosphere is frankly good, the music, the radio everything contribute to the banana republic feel.
The humour is excellent, many time i got a smile out of some of the radio dialogues and some of the event texts.
So far the campaign missions are entertaining, each focused on a specific aspect of the gameplay, so they don't feel like a repeat.
Word. My sister gifted me 6 + some DLCs last year and it just doesn't click, despite me really trying to get into it. 4 just oozes charisma, and the campaign missions mostly don't overcome their stay.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: September 02, 2024, 11:58:52 am »

Also, you might already know that, but one of the most counterintuitive things with the way logistics work is that you don't want to have too many of the same product being made. I forgot the exact numbers, but if you have only one cigar factory or banana farm or w/e each teamster truck can pick up at most X units of it in one go, and that number gets lower the more of each building you have (IIRC X/2 bananas for 2 banana farms, X/3 bananas for 3 banana farms and so on).
That means you really gotta diversify your production (which is counterintuitive given the monoculture-driven economies Tropico is based on), otherwise you'll eventually have like half of your population working as teamsters and driving around with mostly empty trucks.

Thanks for pointing that, i was unsure what was the most efficient economy mechanic in the game.

So far for each possible exportable products i have always tried to get :
2 buildings generating a same material (farms, woodcutters, mines, oil, etc..)
1 factory that take that generated materials to transform them into the exportable product (exception of log -> wood -> furniture that takes an additional building in between to transform log into wood ).

then repeat this kind of industry setup for each exportable products (while possible depending on my current treasury of course).

Usually it works , it was only the specific 4th mission that had you forced to rely on import (as Penultimo had forgot to take the plans of most material generating building :D ) to get the materials that really needed .
And so you to get workers and teamsters working at the very best and optimised way or your treasury was quickly taking a huge dive.
next couple of missions i played after that were back to normal regarding the industry as it focused on other type of challenge, but mission 4 really was very interesting for this special focus.

The atmosphere is frankly amazing with the music really building up the whole ambience.
Make sure to enable the radio in the option that is disabled by default in Tropico 4, you really want to hear Penultimo and Sunny Flowers dialogues , interactions and news .

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: September 02, 2024, 05:43:50 pm »

I still miss the fairly unique setting of Tropico 2 which took it back to the colonial era and had you running a pirate haven of sorts. Wonder why they never tried to revisit that properly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: September 05, 2024, 03:20:59 am »

Possibly because it was a different company, mechanically a bit of a clusterfuck, and reviewed far worse than the banana republic-style original.

...I'm not disagreeing though; I have a soft spot for Pirate Cove myself. Even if the intended primary income source is regularly a horrible gamble between "scraping by" and "dumping your entire economy"...

...but on the flip side, wealthy captives were busted in the other direction and actually paid for all the services that were supposed to only go on their "ransom tab" and effectively became tourists with permanent residency and infinite wallets.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: September 05, 2024, 10:02:04 am »

A couple of days ago, Rising World got a patch that adds bandits and other monsters, maps, a sailboat, and a few other things.

While playing it, I noticed a detail that blew my mind: I had used a rake to flatten some terrain to build a house. This also removes the grass texture and replaces it with a dirt one. After some time, it had started to rain. After a while of that, I noticed the dirt texture had turned into a muddy one. I didn't expect that level of detail to happen. It reminds me of something I saw in the old java version that I have yet to confirm in this one, where if you built a house using boards, you can see raindrops falling between the gaps in the boards.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: September 06, 2024, 10:32:31 am »

Is Rising World like a sequel to Wurm or something?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: September 06, 2024, 11:48:05 am »

I still miss the fairly unique setting of Tropico 2 which took it back to the colonial era and had you running a pirate haven of sorts. Wonder why they never tried to revisit that properly.

It's actually still my favorite version of Tropico. It wasn't balanced in any way, but the campaign was fun, the looting was fun, the whole ship system and captain-crew dynamics were fun.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: September 06, 2024, 03:14:54 pm »

Is Rising World like a sequel to Wurm or something?

More like Minecraft but really detailed graphics. The developer, and I think it's just one guy, has spent the last four years rebuilding the game from the ground of up in Unity. At this point, it's gotten fairly close in content(and has some things the old version didn't) to what there was in the old java version. Despite that it is somewhat lacking in actual things to do, it's more of a sandbox for now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: September 07, 2024, 11:09:00 am »

I think I like MOBAs, apparently. I got into Deadlock and now want to play every night.

Anyone wants an invite, just let me know.
If you're part of the community, tell them to change the damn name. Deadlock was taken nearly 30 years ago >:(
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2590 on: September 07, 2024, 02:35:19 pm »

If you're part of the community, tell them to change the damn name. Deadlock was taken nearly 30 years ago >:(
Yeah, I was hopeful, then very confused when I heard about Valve making Deadlock.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: September 09, 2024, 07:13:48 am »

Got two huge time sinks to fill my week off work:

Guild Wars 2 because I've been feeling like I need an MMO in my life again. Weird, I know, but it has been an enjoyable ride so far. There's something meditative in killing mob after mob until I'm ready to move on to the next map. The early leveling gameplay is actually quite fun as there's usually quite a few other people to do map events with, but as you progress maps become emptier and emptier, hopefully things will open up again as I near the max level. Doesn't help that I'm terminally averse to getting into a guild in a game that has that word literally stamped on its name.

Also got my hands on a Deadlock invite to check what the fuzz is all about. Still getting used to the flow, it's certainly more MOBA than hero shooter, but at the same time the movement system is really sophisticated and the moment-to-moment gameplay way more involved at all times. I just hope the community doesn't devolve into the same toxic cesspool that all other MOBAs' did, but we all know that's happening one way or the other.

Usually it works , it was only the specific 4th mission that had you forced to rely on import (as Penultimo had forgot to take the plans of most material generating building :D ) to get the materials that really needed .
And so you to get workers and teamsters working at the very best and optimised way or your treasury was quickly taking a huge dive.
next couple of missions i played after that were back to normal regarding the industry as it focused on other type of challenge, but mission 4 really was very interesting for this special focus.
Yeah, I think that mission was the first one that gave me trouble as well, I just wasn't used to rely on imports for essential stuff or crucial parts of my supply chain. Even in DF, I always chose embarks that had everything I needed and imported only luxuries.

6 actually has the colonial era, where you get quests from Britain, have to defend the island from pirates, and can engage in piracy yourself to dodge taxes/tariffs. Not sure how the execution compares, I found it at the same time an interesting spin but also somewhat hollow in a way, but that might be an issue with 6 itself. It just hit me as a bit soulless compared to 4

A couple of days ago, Rising World got a patch that adds bandits and other monsters, maps, a sailboat, and a few other things.

While playing it, I noticed a detail that blew my mind: I had used a rake to flatten some terrain to build a house. This also removes the grass texture and replaces it with a dirt one. After some time, it had started to rain. After a while of that, I noticed the dirt texture had turned into a muddy one. I didn't expect that level of detail to happen. It reminds me of something I saw in the old java version that I have yet to confirm in this one, where if you built a house using boards, you can see raindrops falling between the gaps in the boards.
Do you think the game is worth purchasing right now? I'd been following it from a distance for a while, but never made the jump to actually trying it. It caught my interest mostly because it seemed like a more grounded alternative to MC, as I'm not fond of all the fantasy stuff and really wanted an experience like The Long Dark or Unreal World.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 08:45:42 am by Uristides »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: September 10, 2024, 08:43:14 am »

Used to play GW2, from what I remember it was definitely a thing that, with a few exceptions, the higher level areas were more empty until you got to the level 80 areas, especially those with major events and world bosses (If you've not encountered any yet, there's timers online for them. They're basically big collab boss fights)
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: September 10, 2024, 03:35:53 pm »

Does anyone else here plays My Singing Monsters? If so, did you managed to get BeMeebeth? I haven't even managed to synthesize a quad to turn into the quint yet.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 11, 2024, 07:14:32 pm »

Picked up The Leviathan's Fantasy because it was on sale and looked interesting.

I would describe it as playing in an MMORPG world, except you are the MMORPG. Alternately, I would describe it somewhere as a mishmash of Majesty and Mabinogi or Amazing Cultivation Simulator. You're a big-ass flying whale(there are other leviathans) building a city on your back. You open a portal to various islands(in the sky) to send adventurers out to fight monsters, collect resources, etc. Like Majesty, you don't really control them directly, instead entice them by setting bounties. The setting is mostly Eastern, but otherwise explicitly a mix of various cultures. Judging from what I've seen in game and in screenshots, you've got martial artists, anime guys with really big swords, anime girls, elves, vampires, and Vikings, and probably other things.

What's interesting is how the resources are handled. Resources collected by adventurers don't go to you/your city directly, you have to build a trader and buy them from the adventurers. Money flow doesn't seem to be too much of an issue; you've got tourists, as well things to sell to the adventurers themselves.

It's a Chinese game and the English translation is pretty jank. You can still figure out what they're trying to say most of the time, though.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174