Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319037 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2550 on: August 07, 2024, 06:42:34 am »

Randomly bumped into something on itch.io called "Crescent Loom" that looked nifty... But the tutorial just gave up partway through and I wasn't finding much else in the way of direction towards making a critter with more functionality than "moves forward", so I decided to check out YouTube.

...and find several videos of the dev showing off his creation, except rather than getting into "here's how you design a critter that can chase/hunt/trap food etc.", it was him showing off the electrical schematic drawing he was using to approximate the roles of sodium and potassium in neuron activation.

So, yeah. It's one of those games.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 11, 2024, 06:48:41 am »

Been toying around with Intravenous, that was free on gog a couple of days ago, and had a lot of fun.

The gameplay is a mix between a Hotline Miami/any top down shooters and Splinter Cell stealth systems with the noise and stealth meters.

The AI is extremely brutal as once they notice something is wrong (blood, some noise, some door oddly left opened or a room with light turned off..), they'll investigate really seriously instead of quickly giving up, so if you killed a guy and moved it corpse somewhere, the AI will find it by following the unavoidable tracks of blood ( good idea to try to get to melee distance and knock them down from behind to avoid the blood left around due to gunning them down silently)  so make sure to check AI patrols to plan your kill spree (considering the amount of enemies on the map i don't think ghosting fully a level is possible out of a couple of levels).

And if something is found (the source of the blood, a corpse, or just you) they'll alert everyone they can and unlike most stealth game, they will not "forget it" once they're trying to find and end you. Sometime the AI will not try to investigate alone and will fetch a couple of its friends to look around too, increasing the difficulty to get rid of them.
But it's still fair because the AI do not seem to magically know where you are, so you can lose your pursuer or observe their hopeless search of you through various rooms.

Because gunfight is very lethal and the AI isn't a SW stormtrooper,  getting into a firefight in the open with a bunch of AI at the same time is more likely to end in a quick game over.
Fortunately you can have the usual stealth game tricks : throw an item somewhere to make some noise to distract an AI (be careful that it is not at ear distance of too many of them as your distraction may instead make things harder for you) , you can attract AI with doors intentionally left open, turn off lights or generators, crawl , get into vents , use suppressed pistols etc...

You can bring various gadgets along a rifle and a pistol, usually the more you bring the less stealth you are (there are various body armor that you can get if you want, but each will lower your stealth more or less), seems like for stealth pistol, the MK23 is king as i found the other sometime do not one shot unsuspected enemies for some reason, but when an AI is alerted i noticed they seem to resist 1 more bullet than when they're not.
Shooting a non suppressed pistol is the same as pushing the big alert button, half of the map will converge toward the sound source, so it can be useful in a few cases (if you have a lot of ammo, grenades, mines i guess, though the AI is very accurate in its shots) or making the difficulty utterly greater.

For the story it is very very inspired by Punisher, just your character is named Steve instead of Frank Castle and want to avenge his brother instead of whole family by killing every drug addicts and junkies that were part of it, then their drug ring, then more kingpin ,  all the while helped by some techy guy that will very likely stab you in the back like in all those Punisher tropes .

But it's well done and the stealth play is very good, but the difficulty is no joke at all in this game even on the lesser difficulty level.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 07:30:13 am by Robsoie »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 11, 2024, 07:51:21 pm »

The gameplay was sort of fun, but not really enough to keep me invested in the generic plot. I may have gone in with higher expectations due to the metal gear-ish stylings, but instead all I got was the game wasting time trying to invest me in the shithead protag and his shithead brother at the start, followed by a lot of meaningless murder whether I actually play pacifist or not. With that and the levels being mostly similar urban environments, I just didn't have anything to look forwards to by playing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 12, 2024, 04:29:20 am »

After just completing it, the scenario for me was without surprise as it is as i guessed previously mostly a carbon copy of the Punisher base plot with everything going exactly like you guess it will go if you know the original story, including the plot twist near the end that again is what happened in the Punisher one too.

So you don't really want to play this game for the plot, unless you don't know the Punisher story in which case it may be good enough (though i wonder if the dev wanted to make a Punisher game but due to how expensive IP are prefered to make Steve's story of vengeance instead) , but for the stealth and action that are very well done.

But there's a point in the campaign in which the lack of visual variety in the levels can lead you to just give up on full stealth and go gun blazing in many situations as i did, as there are a lot of guns to use, some unique to find in levels (and so unlock if you bring them back to the hideout).
It can be fun too as once hell break loose you try to get back to sneak around while you see all the guards of a level looking for you while chatting with each other, only to be shot from a shadow they didn't noticed.

Seems like the dev knew that as he even designed 2 levels to be "kill everyone" (so it means you can't ghost 2 levels anyways ), last level included that due to the number of target will make you to go really tactical and move all around to attract attention in a location then circle the area to get them from another angle, as every enemies have guns and ammo, you don't need that much to think about ammo management.

Make sure to enable the "auto pick up" mutator (looks like there are a bunch of those) for ammo of the same type of your gun when you start a new campaign, it's such a pain to have to pick them manually on the ground or tables with pressing a key one by one, that mutator is 100% QoL and i really wonder what the hell was the dev thinking by not making it the default as it really make the gameplay more enjoyable for me.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 17, 2024, 04:45:37 am »

Odd Realm, a game that's, dare I say, even more complicated to learn than Dwarf Fortress, released from Early Access yesterday.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 17, 2024, 09:29:57 pm »

It's quite good and has enough of its own stuff to feel different from DF. But yeah, a bit of a cliff to learn.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 19, 2024, 03:22:32 am »

Good News, I picked up Borderlands 3 for like six bucks!

Bad News, it's 95 Gigabytes. And my newish Laptop only came with 500 Gigabytes. Where exactly am I supposed to store this thing?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 21, 2024, 01:29:27 am »

Damn that's big, I miss the days here you didn't need almost an entire hard drive just for one game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 21, 2024, 05:58:02 am »

i read some times ago that ARK Survival Evolved + all the DLC (free and not free maps) will take up to 435gb !
Modern dev : file optimisations  ? What's this ? :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:00:05 am by Robsoie »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 21, 2024, 07:40:45 am »

i read some times ago that ARK Survival Evolved + all the DLC (free and not free maps) will take up to 435gb !

That's over 310,000 floppy disks.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 21, 2024, 03:13:14 pm »

I still have vague memories of installing something (Windows OS, maybe?) that required about a dozen disks. Man, was that ever a PitA. I'm pretty sure that disk 9 or 10 had a bad sector.

It's funny - nowadays we deal seamlessly with amounts of data that would have made our heads explode back when I was a kid.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 21, 2024, 03:46:46 pm »

For real. We juggle gigs of data now without thinking about it. But back in the day, you'd sweat the data integrity of a 2mb disk.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 21, 2024, 06:31:44 pm »

This is a problem not just with games, but especially with games. I mean, my kids get mad because the games they want to play on their tablets are now like 30-40GB each... on a tablet with 64GB storage.  And the tablet OSs are clocking in at like 10GB.

Seriously, why does an OS need a single GB, let alone multiple?  It's just a scheduler and some libraries.  I honestly don't know what these software devs are doing that takes up so much space.

Also a pox on all the mobile/tablet game companies that ship a 2GB executable that then downloads some undisclosed amount of "game data" that is in the 10s of GBs, so you don't even know when you get it if you have enough space.  And when you try to offload the game to save space, it just offloads the 2GB "app" and keeps the 10s of GBs of "app data" you can only free by deleting the game entirely, not merely offloading it.

At least with games, I can see how game geometry and voice acting audio and texture assets take up space.  But for just programs themselves and OSs... WTF?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 22, 2024, 11:25:57 am »

Telemetry, most likely. The OS is plugged into so many microservices that it's not just a scheduler and some libraries, and hasn't been for a long time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 174