Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319025 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2565 on: August 23, 2024, 10:07:13 am »

Anyone here cares to give their review on Odd Realm? Esp. if they've also played something similar, like Songs of Syx, or Rimworld. Is there enough of its own game in there, or rather more of the same, just dressed differently?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: August 24, 2024, 09:31:12 pm »

It's fiddling around with some neat stuff I haven't personally noticed other games of its type does (mostly in how the races work), but despite hitting 1.0 it still feels a little undercooked and content slim... it's definitely less ambitious than syx or rimworld, heh. Closer to DF back when there was less overworld interaction, I think. It is more than more of the same dressed differently, though, or at least if it's not I haven't played the things it's like, heh. It's got noticeable differences from syx and DF, less sure about rimworld 'cause I haven't played rimworld.

At least at the moment, I'd probably recommend waiting until a steeper discount, in any case. Or giving it a bit more time to flesh out a little more. It's close, and an enjoyable enough sandbox DF-style game as is, but it feels like it's missing... something. Dev's still working on it, in any case.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: August 24, 2024, 10:31:08 pm »

Anyone here cares to give their review on Odd Realm? Esp. if they've also played something similar, like Songs of Syx, or Rimworld. Is there enough of its own game in there, or rather more of the same, just dressed differently?

It's a lot like rimworld without any of the annoying shit. It's much more laid back than any other colony sim. Few threats, few challenges. That's where it feels lacking, but it can also be a nice way to relax and build something after work. I quite like it, but also never got really addicted to it like I have with rimworld or DF.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: August 25, 2024, 02:32:52 pm »

Odd Realm is fairly enjoyable but it does have some issues. I just managed to figure out a workaround just now for several that was preventing me from integrating captured bandits as citizens.

First was figuring out how to actually capture them. There are cage traps, but if you build them on the surface(or at least on the z-level they're on), the enemy will clearly see them and walk around. You have to build them on the z below, and a trap-door on the surface above(they don't see those). This also works for spikes.

The other issue is seizing them, which makes them "captured" members of your faction; basically slavery, you cannot change their profession so you're stuck with them as being the warrior/archer(maybe mage, but I haven't had one yet), and while you can tick skills on, they won't level up anything but their combat skills(which is what professions do). What happens is when you mark them for seizure, the character trying to seize them will often still try to attack them or especially other trapped bandits. I've managed to get them to stop by giving them another order after they're captured, but I think turning off the combat skills will also work. I haven't tried.

The last issue was giving the integrate job. It's unlocked from the prison tech, but requires the town hall tech(and room) since the town hall is the one with the job, not the prison. It also requires a table(Wood-work tech) in the town hall, and a supply of paper and ink, which are unlocked via the Library tech(but made in the workshop room). The problem I found was that the town hall room doesn't have its occupancy permissions set correctly by default. Apparently you have to flag them for both citizens and captured people(other rooms do not seem to require this). Also, the integrate job claims to require hauler as a skill, but it's the write skill, as I figured out through ticking every skill. Then there was still trouble actually getting the bandits to integrate, as the job kept cancelling itself.

I have seen a post by the dev that they're aware of the issue, but there hasn't been any fix in the last few patches.

EDIT: Found another issue regarding recruiting captured bandits. They don't receive the abilities to eat and drink, resulting in starving/dehydration. This one can be fixed by simply saving and loading.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 02:53:35 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: August 28, 2024, 04:40:42 am »

Some video essay about brigade E5 triggered some core memories... after some research, honorable mentions go to high calibre 7.62 the sequel, and the fall last days of gaia, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to play some day... Where did this whole genre go?

Anyway I was able to find a wrapper and launch shadow company left for dead on my main computer, I am extactic the sounds, the ui... man... hell yeh
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: August 29, 2024, 01:37:28 pm »

Just completed the "import/export" themed mission (the 4th mission) of the campaign in Tropico 4 and it's the mission that made me want to individually give the order to execute each dockers and teamsters instead of just firing them.
How many times i got a "freighter left with no exports on board" because those dockers were everywhere to fill their needs, except at the docks.
And those teamsters mysterious way of working that manage to not pick up the plants production for months in order to bring them to the docks because a teamster does not understand the concept of having "go to work ... or else" .

Had to redo the whole mission from scratch after reaching unrecoverable immense negative amount of money the first time because those guys thought El Presidente was too cool to get angry so let's get to have fun and leave the exportable stuff rotting around, but that was before most of them got a bullet through their head.

Second time i made sure there were plenty of need filling stuff near the docks and near each teamster building around to make sure they wouldn't go for a walk or drive too far away from the super IMPORTant location in this mission, only then i finally got them better under control.

Tropico 4 atmosphere is frankly good, the music, the radio everything contribute to the banana republic feel.
The humour is excellent, many time i got a smile out of some of the radio dialogues and some of the event texts.
So far the campaign missions are entertaining, each focused on a specific aspect of the gameplay, so they don't feel like a repeat.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 01:39:27 pm by Robsoie »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: August 30, 2024, 01:34:25 pm »

This does kind of explain why I tended to just build service stuff around my docks in Tropico 6, despite docks in this version of the game just instantly moving everything onto the boat without workers.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 31, 2024, 05:40:51 am »

I think I like MOBAs, apparently. I got into Deadlock and now want to play every night.

Anyone wants an invite, just let me know.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: September 01, 2024, 01:24:03 am »

Watching a showcase trailer for the Gothic remake...

Narrator: "We aim to create an immersive and REALISTIC world"

* Shows a character slapping a book to turn the page *    :o
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: September 01, 2024, 01:47:04 am »

Well that's just their own fault for using the dreaded "realism" word. Sure, it sounds good, but it creates an unreasonable expectation which would be pretty boring if you did manage to meet it anyways~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: September 01, 2024, 02:37:53 am »

Realism can be fun. Well, not 100% realism but yeah.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: September 01, 2024, 04:18:13 am »

Gothic 1 a realistic world ?
I remember playing Gothic  ... 2 decades ago, it was defintively not a realistic world.
Maybe you can consider it low fantasy (for the most part) as the lives of the poor guys stuck in the colony is more similar to a gritty medieval serf that felt realistic within the world setting.

Then you have that giant magic barrier all over the colony to define the game world limits, you have those monsters roaming around, those orcs, those wizards etc... that aren't rare at all, and if you follow a wizard career you can use a big bunch of various spells yourself too.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: September 01, 2024, 05:19:32 am »

For 2001 it was an okay amount of realism... I think they mean to say immersion. The german voice over was sooo good.

Gothic 1 is actually the better story and pacing. Gothic2 overstays it's welcome.
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: September 01, 2024, 09:12:28 am »

Gothic was super realistic by the standards of the time. You could, like, fry a piece of meat in a pan. It broke new ground, man.
IIRC you could also reliably parry a ~500 kg orc's fuckhuge axe swings with a flimsy rapier.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: September 01, 2024, 10:37:17 am »

I don't even get the hate for the control scheme, just keep your hands off the mouse and your arms will be restfull. I kinda don't want to play the remake. The whole point was that cheesing was a skill matter, apart from armor, you could rush many pieces of equipment. And then the whole thing was rounded up by this fantastic worldbuilding where you're among thugs and they disrespect you by default, with a bunch of immersive little tidbits and emergent ai behaviour.

Still my gold standard how a rpg should be paced. I hate level scaling with a passion.
let
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174