Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319792 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #690 on: March 12, 2020, 08:04:28 am »

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is out on Steam. Haven't spoiled myself to this one yet, but the previous title in the series was an artful metroidvania/platformer on the same track as Aquaria or Trine 1/2, had excellent music, a sweet little story, and was challenging enough to entertain without too much frustration for someone who's not a platformer junkie - In fact it'd have been about perfect if not for a bit of performance problem at places, which had limited impact by not demanding pixel precision.

Don't worry, from what I've heard, they learned from the last game and really leaned into the imperfections with the new one. Had to get rid of some of the things you liked to make space, but at what cost, progress?

Edit: Hopefully it's not true, but probably check some reviews before paying money for it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:27:46 am by Iduno »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 12, 2020, 02:13:33 pm »

Edit: Hopefully it's not true, but probably check some reviews before paying money for it.
Not true? Is there something bad going around about the game? Because by all indications -- my experience and reviews -- it seems like it has pretty universal glowing praise.

Though also of note is that the game, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, is on Game Pass for PC too. So if you subscribe to that it's effectively free to download and play (of course "free" is subjective since you're paying for the subscription). And I believe there's still the really good first-time deals for game pass at $1/month for first three months or something like that, for those who haven't messed with it yet.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2020, 08:32:57 am »

Continuing the autosave discussion doesn't fit the how did you die thread, so I'll move it here.

Rolling saves. If I’m doing something I expect to take a lot of time, 3 save files used in sequence until they’ve all been used, then overwrite them as necessary in the same sequence.

On top of auto-saves. Because the auto-saves that haven't been overwritten are useful 1% of the time.

Oy to that. I remember one game (which, unfortunately, I don't remember which one game...) where the autosave somehow got corrupted at an autosave point. So it sequentially overwrote all the autosaves with equally corrupt versions.

I recently tried to play Pathfailure: Kingmaker. I am now playing Star War: Knights of the Old Republic and loving how much more modern it feels. Skill checks out of combat just automatically take 10 instead of rolling, save slots are done reasonably, mechanics aren't hidden, and enemies have appropriate strengths and weaknesses. It's tough to say if KOTOR 1 or 2 is better; 1 certainly had the better and more challenging end boss fight, 2 was a bit too easy but had a pretty good crafting system and mostly tightened up the mechanics while allowing a few more options.

Edit: ProZD has some very good (and quick) YouTube videos about vidya games. Sadly, it forces you to see how annoying YouTube is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:55:54 am by Iduno »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 13, 2020, 07:47:54 pm »

Continuing the autosave discussion doesn't fit the how did you die thread, so I'll move it here.

Rolling saves. If I’m doing something I expect to take a lot of time, 3 save files used in sequence until they’ve all been used, then overwrite them as necessary in the same sequence.

On top of auto-saves. Because the auto-saves that haven't been overwritten are useful 1% of the time.

Oy to that. I remember one game (which, unfortunately, I don't remember which one game...) where the autosave somehow got corrupted at an autosave point. So it sequentially overwrote all the autosaves with equally corrupt versions.

I recently tried to play Pathfailure: Kingmaker. I am now playing Star War: Knights of the Old Republic and loving how much more modern it feels. Skill checks out of combat just automatically take 10 instead of rolling, save slots are done reasonably, mechanics aren't hidden, and enemies have appropriate strengths and weaknesses. It's tough to say if KOTOR 1 or 2 is better; 1 certainly had the better and more challenging end boss fight, 2 was a bit too easy but had a pretty good crafting system and mostly tightened up the mechanics while allowing a few more options.

Edit: ProZD has some very good (and quick) YouTube videos about vidya games. Sadly, it forces you to see how annoying YouTube is.
How does it force you to see how annoying Youtube is?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 13, 2020, 08:03:12 pm »

Sponsorships, Like & Subscribe, Patreon begging, and Ads, I’m guessing?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:35 am »

So I got Armored War 3 Armor Clash 3 yesterday (no idea if there's a 1 or 2), it's basically a one-man C&C:Generals fan game of sorts. Super-duper rough and clearly unfinished, with plenty of issues. But it's got potential and some neat ideas like what are essentially creep camps from WC3 that give you a unit or two once defeated. Also has some naval combat and capture points around the map which seem to be important to some factions and not at all to others, not particularly well explained.

Either way, can't really recommend it now despite being around 15$ but it's something to keep an eye on I guess, it might become decent or it might get dropped, I know it's a nice thing to see since pretty much nothing has managed to recapture the magic of Generals despite a couple of efforts being made.

E: Messed up the name, that's what I get for posting before coffee
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:36:29 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 17, 2020, 07:24:14 am »

I... do you have a link? Google appears to think Armored War 3 doesn't exist.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:34 am »

How does it force you to see how annoying Youtube is?

His videos are short enough that you end up with way more ads than content, and are nearly constantly closing ad windows so you can see what the second half of the thing he said was.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:16 pm »

Night Witch: 588 is an open-world(ish?) plane stealth game where the player is a pilot for the titular 588th Night Bomber Regiment (who came to be known as Night Witches) in WW2. It's free for the time being due to the sale (and, in many cases, including this one, out right giveaway) based around the COVID-19 outbreak.

It's... very clearly rough around the edges. The plane can be a bit difficult to get off the runway at times, and I find it very hard to gauge where bombs will land.

Still, though, it's got its own charm of sorts, and blowing things up (and hearing your gunner, Natasha, congratulate you for doing so) is pretty fun. Since it's free, I don't think there's really any reason to not give it a shot.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 26, 2020, 09:14:02 am »

From the software inc, thread (posted here to reduce off-topic):

I also don’t really like the fact the founder is a machine, and doesn’t draw a salary.

They could do so much more with that.  Realistically, the founder take money not as salary but as dividends from the company and live off that.  If they don't have any money, then they would be sleeping in their office and sponge bathing in the sink.  They would use their money to rent an apartment or buy a house.  If the founder is basically the player, then the player could make those decisions, with consequences such as a cheap bed at home means the founder sometimes oversleeps and arrives late to work, etc.

EDIT: Hey, even if the founder was a machine, than it would probably syphon off funds for its world domination and other plans.

Thank you for reminding me of this: http://www.emhsoft.com/singularity/

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:00 pm »

I am trying to install mods on a Steam game, and all the guides say something like "Open the Game Launcher -> Mods window to see the list of available mods. To activate a mod, simply tick the little checkbox on the left of a mod name in the list and click Apply." but I can't actually find where the Mods are. How do I get that window?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #701 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:35 pm »

Sounds like you run the game, then press the mod button in the initial game window. This has nothing directly to do with Steam.
Or perhaps you mean DLC? That's a tab in the game properties.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 30, 2020, 01:51:35 pm »

It would help to know which game it is :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 30, 2020, 02:02:37 pm »

I am trying to install mods on a Steam game, and all the guides say something like "Open the Game Launcher -> Mods window to see the list of available mods. To activate a mod, simply tick the little checkbox on the left of a mod name in the list and click Apply." but I can't actually find where the Mods are. How do I get that window?

You may need to install them through the workshop first? Without knowing the game, or what the screen looks like, I'm going to say...it's half-hidden in one of the corners.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 30, 2020, 07:25:39 pm »

You may need to install them through the workshop first? Without knowing the game, or what the screen looks like, I'm going to say...it's half-hidden in one of the corners.

Too obvious. It's probably like The Purloined Letter, where the Mods button is hidden square in the center of the screen, right between... I'd guess Options and Quit. Right where things should be is often the hardest place to find something.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 174