Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319810 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #661 on: February 19, 2020, 06:56:19 pm »

So space janitor with physics.

It could work. Viscera clean up detail was a bit more chill, though. And multiplayer, for antics. Does that have multiplayer?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 23, 2020, 01:32:48 pm »

Tank Mechanic Simulator. Another in the line of 'fix shit up' sims recently got the 1.0 release so I picked it up because why the hell not, seemed like fun.

And it kinda is. Far from perfect, has some issues with clunky UI and performance but it's a fairly neat little 'take things apart then put them back together' game, besides it's fairly cheap so expectations aren't super huge of it. Seems they'll be adding more stuff to it down the line too, which is also nice.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 23, 2020, 02:38:57 pm »

Tank Mechanic Simulator. Another in the line of 'fix shit up' sims recently got the 1.0 release so I picked it up because why the hell not, seemed like fun.

And it kinda is. Far from perfect, has some issues with clunky UI and performance but it's a fairly neat little 'take things apart then put them back together' game, besides it's fairly cheap so expectations aren't super huge of it. Seems they'll be adding more stuff to it down the line too, which is also nice.

You mean, this masterpiece?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 23, 2020, 03:27:34 pm »

You mean, this masterpiece?

Yes, Josh is a masterpiece, damn it.

(I hope that reference fits; may have been from another cutesy-named game player)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 24, 2020, 05:32:28 am »

World of Horror is... interesting, in a good way. My biggest issue with it is actually the 'recommended' game order. (More on this later.) It feels kind of like if you tossed RPG-esque combat onto Deja Vu, or any of the old point-and-click adventure games from the 80s, in an exquisite 1-bit J-horror wrapper, and gave it a dash of roguelite-ness. Don't let the aesthetic put you off.

So, narratively, there's some Ancient Evil stuff going on, and you're investigating the odd things happening around town, trying to keep from getting killed by various horrors or go insane from it... pretty stock, conceptually. If you're familiar with Junji Ito, the influence is unmistakable. Manage to finish five missions, you have a token final mission and Sir Cosmic Horror presses the snooze button on waking up.

What I find particularly interesting here is that the case is over when the issue's resolved... good or bad. For example, there's a nice straight forward one: [spoiler]The details of the story are up to interpretation, but basically, there are these kind of funky hypnotic eels that only lay their eggs in people. Depending on your actions, your friend either disappears after you drop them off at the hospital or, well, you rip their eyeball out, then drop them off at the hospital, and they thank you after.[spoiler] Either way, case resolved, move on to the next mission. Some missions are very combat focused, whereas some don't have any (fixed) combats at all. Missions can interact with each other-- one notable example is that you can burn down the school... which, for obvious reasons, will change how  other missions (and even just exploration) play out there. (As a point of reference, on my first win... I got one 'good' ending out of five, or at least I think it was the good ending. All my other missions were like, "So... everybody in the village died that night, and nobody knows what happened, but you somehow woke up on the bus back to town. GOOD JOB, A+++, WOULD INVESTIGATE AGAIN!")

UI in combat kind of sucks, but it's retro-styled, and I suspect it wouldn't be so bad if I was on a mouse and not a touchpad.

Also, there are some superbly broken ways to play that have a negative effect on enjoyment, I'd say... like how by taking advantage of stacking effects, I managed to spend -2TUs dodging. Which is somewhat less useful than it sounds because you can only do like 10 actions a turn, but a free dodge each turn will cut down the hits you take by a huge amount.

So yeah-- I wouldn't recommend faffing about trying to finish the default starter mission, despite how it's a souped up version of the demo and is a pretty decent tutorial. Once you know your way around the UI, I'd say to just jump in with a full random game.

Demo: https://panstasz.itch.io/world-of-horror
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 25, 2020, 10:18:17 am »

Master of Magic, a game first released in 1994, got its first DLC today, called Caster of Magic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 25, 2020, 10:22:35 am »

Caster of Magic.

I see GOG calls it DLC. Is it really, or is it a packaged version of the old mod of the same name?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #668 on: February 25, 2020, 10:32:01 am »

Not an old mod, or at least it's still being updated: https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7751
Official post from author regarding latest development: https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9846
I mirrored/had indexed the current CoM dowloads, just incase the author decides to pull down the old versions. http://archive.is/OU168
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:08:31 am by n9103 »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 25, 2020, 03:41:16 pm »

It's on Steam listed as DLC for $3 and there's a list of features there.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250690/Master_of_Magic_Caster_of_Magic/

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 25, 2020, 04:55:15 pm »

It feels kind of like if you tossed RPG-esque combat onto Deja Vu, or any of the old point-and-click adventure games from the 80s

Quest for Glory-ish?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 25, 2020, 06:31:20 pm »

It feels kind of like if you tossed RPG-esque combat onto Deja Vu, or any of the old point-and-click adventure games from the 80s

Quest for Glory-ish?

QfG's more 90s. The 80s ones were more like IF with a graphical representation of the room, and sometimes inventory.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 26, 2020, 03:47:14 pm »

The Cycle
Free in Early Access on The Epic Store, paid through cosmetics in a Battle-Pass format.

The Cycle is a PvEvP Battle Royale, where 20 players are dropped into a large arena littered with various PvE objectives which may be completed for points, with the ultimate goal of finishing the 20-minute match with more points than the competition. Ranking high will yield resources which can be spent to unlock and customize new weapons to be used in future matches.

The words 'Battle Royale' can be highly polarizing, with most people either diving right in or immediately tuning out. Personally I tend to be in the latter category; the BR's I've tried in the past tend to be a lot of setup just to face overwhelming odds just for a slim chance at some fleeting glory. In my opinion, The Cycle has done a lot to break from those trappings. For one thing, The Cycle allows queueing as teams, with 10 teams of 2, or 5 teams of 4 being offered in addition to the traditional 20 person free-for-all. You have to split your bounty, but this can greatly increase the odds of winning. Also you can get significant rewards for second place, and some rewards for third and below, so it's never a complete waste of time if you end up getting foamed before reaching the evac ship.

I've sunk 30 hours into The Cycle so far, long enough for me to feel justified dropping $10 for the current season of Battle Pass. But it's free to try, so I'd recommend it to anyone looking to scratch that FPS PvEvP itch.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 26, 2020, 04:40:28 pm »

Saprophyte. It's a short and sweet game of hide and seek against a hostile alien aboard a doomed space station. Graphics are inspired by a ZX spectrum game, and the controls have a clunky feel to them that adds to the tension. Gameplay involves avoiding the monster while hunting down keycards and throwing switches to open the doors to the self-destruct sequence(protip: mash the button to activate the switch). Your enemy is evolving as you progress, gaining access to restricted areas by its own means, meaning speed is key to success. If you've forgotten why the SA-X in Metroid Fusion was so terrifying, give it a shot. It's free, just like everything else the author has made.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 28, 2020, 05:27:32 pm »

As the Perisno mod that was otherwise playing smoothly (even in battle) unfortunately had a world map regular stuttering that finally had been getting on my nerves, i decided to look elswhere for a Warband mod to kill time until the new Prophecy of Pendor release coming in March.

My choice went to The Last Days , a big LOTR mod for both old M&B and Warband. A mod i didn't played more than a few minutes many years ago in which i had spent time visiting the Minas Thirit location,  i don't remember why, probably i had something else taking my PC attention.

And wow what an excellent mod, i was expecting it to be just another mod with units, factions and world map replacing the default Warband ones but still playing the same gameplay flow but oh much wrong i was.

The Last Days has some unique system regarding ressource and ranks with all factions that change how the game is flowing.
Factions are belonging to the 2 sides of the LOTR lore (Good and Evil) without some random stuff leading into "let's make peace for months without reason" that happens sometime in other mods between factions of those 2 sides.
And after a (customisable) time , it depends on your level, the actual war between the 2 side will really start (they even made ingame cutscene for it that was a nice touch), each factions is getting a strength level , said strength is getting lowered or increased depending on battles being won or lost (or with actions from the player various quests results), allowing at some point major locations to be able to get besieged.

And player after gaining enough rank within a faction will then be able to be part of the war council (and so have their strategy ideas being heard instead of being disregarded, after all at the start you're just a nobody in the chain of command before you will be able to climb the hierarchy, you're not going to tell lords what to do).
Ranks and ressource points accumulation allow you to unlock some stuff in the factions you're working with, special items and etc...

It's a much more interesting mod than i thought at first.

Running for Gondor i've been helping where i could, questing around and jumping into some large battles when several lords where fighting the enemy.
At some point i ran with my +/- 45 troops (some had been nicely upgraded but none was at the high end status) into a Mordor War Party of +/-22 orcs. At first i thought it was going to be easy like in other battles in which i was outnumbering the orcs like that.

But oh boy i was wrong, after some minutes a Nazgul scream could be heard, repeating at some interval, when it happened the whole army (and my character too) were affected and were covering their ears  while kneeling, not helping at when fighting.
Sadly it looks like said Nazgul have no physical presence in the mod out of that scream thingy  :/

It was getting hard, but still i thought we could probably win the day as orcs were falling left and rights to my archers defended by a wall of infantry and the cavalry charges .
Until i spotted an unit that was towering over everyone, an Olog Hai (an armored troll).

Not only that big thing was incredibly resilient but his strikes were hard and had noticable area of effects sending troops flying (from a distance it was as if i was watching the opening scene of the LOTR movie with Sauron playing baseball with soldiers), the animations were very well done to make that beast a really convincing threat.
The thing managed to take out everyone in the end, fortunately i managed to retreat with the wounded and lots of losses without being captured, lesson learned : Mordor War Party -> Avoid until i get high end units :D
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 174