Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319813 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #675 on: March 01, 2020, 01:21:17 pm »

I've played more of the Last Days mod than vanilla Warband at this point. Its a fun mod, and the Nazgul are rough, but they're easily defeated by tab retreating as soon as you spot the line of text mentioning one is present at the start of the battle if you find them too rough.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 01, 2020, 01:28:20 pm »

Serin Fate is an indie game that's supposed to come out in about nine days. If you go look it up, its Stardew inspiration is fairly evident.

In the annoying manner of describing a game using other games, it's Stardew + Pokemon + Harry Potter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 01, 2020, 09:22:05 pm »

Plus dark souls, surely?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2020, 08:23:58 am »

If images of it are anything to go by it looks like it's extra drawing from stardew's face slug the doctor was infected with. Art looks pretty jank in screenshots :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 08, 2020, 07:06:50 pm »

Battle Chasers: Nightwar, currently one of the selections available from the Humble Monthly Whatever They Call It Now, is a rather tidy jRPG with fixed characters and some funky randomization mechanics. I'm enjoying it more than the last few jRPGs I've prodded lately, namely Octopath Traveller and I Am Setsuna, though those are distinctly different in style.

Combat is pretty much rank and file, with two tweaks off the standard turn-based: Most skills take varying amounts of time to activate, so if you're trying to get off that heal in time, remember that you'll probably have to look a few notches lower on the turn order list, and basic skills generate temporary MP, which makes your MP economy a core mechanic. Combat kind of feels like it moves at a glacial pace though-- all abilities have animations that are in the seconds-long territory, and the way combat is here, you're unlikely to be able to just basic attack your way through everything unless you're way overpowered in gear and level for the area.

All hostiles show up on the map, so you can also use exploration skills to, say, throw a bomb at them which will do damage and have them start the battle with burning. Something I really appreciate here that isn't seen nearly enough: Damage a mob in battle, run away, heal, reengage, and it's still injured. Note that you won't get xp/loot from stuff you killed before fleeing though. Similarly, a lot of combats (even 'linked' groups) can be split up with careful play, so you can sneak through dungeons you're otherwise unprepared for.

The storyline's nothing to write home about (based on unlocks, I'm around halfway to 2/3rds through); it's the typical "we got stuck here, we want to go home, and to do so, go kill five rats kill the Foozle save the world?".

Graphics aren't bad, but are kind of oddly system intensive on my laptop... at least I can keep my nachos warm.

So: The aforementioned 'funky randomization'... dungeon maps, which forms upwards of half the play, are modularly randomized. For example, a given dungeon may have like 10 rooms, which are drawn from a pool of 30 different ones, which will then have randomized features within. There's different difficulty levels (mob levels), the highest of which resets the dungeon if you wipe. Which isn't quite as bad as it sounds, since you can freely leave and head back to town to heal up, though it is an exercise in frustration if you die in the second to last room. On one run, I had a puzzle room that was based on figuring out which door timers were longer, so you could run through them before they shut. Same dungeon, a different puzzle cropped up which involved moving platforms around. And, rather unusually, the later dungeons have much more interesting variations. (My most recent dungeon had a special crafting station and a locked event on the first run... the second run gave me a choice event for a unique item, a miniboss that's tougher than the actual boss, and the key for the locked event from the previous run, orz.)

By extension, this means that loot is randomized... but, thankfully, pretty much anything can be crafted, given adeqaute grind for resources... though I have yet to find the recipes for one of the most useful mods, mana regen every turn.

Less thrilling is that character growth is also partly locked behind grind: Killing bosses or other notables give special currency that can be used to purchase ancilliaries (skins, etc.), but also extra perk points, which are your form of build customization.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:43:27 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 10, 2020, 03:03:48 pm »

Why do the instructions for games, when they even exist, suck now?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 10, 2020, 03:06:27 pm »

Because the internet. Why be assed to explain in detail how to play your game, when hopefully some OCD fan will do it and probably try to make a youtube career out of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 10, 2020, 03:21:39 pm »

Why do the instructions for games, when they even exist, suck now?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, because the story no longer has to stay in the manual, and there is more room in the game itself for a tutorial, so manuals are not as necessary still.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 10, 2020, 05:45:38 pm »

... sucks now? Do you people not remember actual instruction booklets from back in the day? 'Cause, like, sure, there were some good ones but most were pretty shit. I don't think they've gotten worse, just harder to lose or be eaten by your pets or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 10, 2020, 08:48:39 pm »

I remember when i bought the first Empire Earth when it was originally released, it came with between 250-300 pages manual ! it wasn't very usefull as it wasn't much about strategy or specific tactics but it was quite nice to read for a game package that oddly wasn't more expensive than any normal game of the time.

Funnily further re-release of that same game had that manual simply removed from the package and replaced by a pdf on disc, yet said re-release was the same price...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 11, 2020, 08:17:55 am »

... sucks now? Do you people not remember actual instruction booklets from back in the day? 'Cause, like, sure, there were some good ones but most were pretty shit. I don't think they've gotten worse, just harder to lose or be eaten by your pets or something.

I mostly remember the ones with interesting stories, like MW2 Mercenaries, and Legend of Zelda. Although I also remember a few games that I couldn't play anymore, because you needed to input a code every time you played them, and if you lost the book, you were boned.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 11, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »

State of Decay 2  Apparently it is coming out on steam in 2 days.

I played the first game a bunch.  I did not realize it was already released somewhere else till now. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 11, 2020, 02:38:30 pm »

Sweet. Not having read anything, I hope they got rid of the "time passes when you aren't playing" thing.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 12, 2020, 03:04:06 am »

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is out on Steam. Haven't spoiled myself to this one yet, but the previous title in the series was an artful metroidvania/platformer on the same track as Aquaria or Trine 1/2, had excellent music, a sweet little story, and was challenging enough to entertain without too much frustration for someone who's not a platformer junkie - In fact it'd have been about perfect if not for a bit of performance problem at places, which had limited impact by not demanding pixel precision.

Could only hope it'd be available in a DRM-free form somewhere soon, but I don't expect miracles.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 174