Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36795 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Design Phase
« Reply #315 on: November 30, 2015, 11:07:19 am »

So, we got three votes for what is basically a copy of what the enemy did their first turn and two for something to try to surpass them, plus the usual vote or three for random stuff. Joy.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #316 on: November 30, 2015, 11:09:06 am »

Rocket rifles then.
You know you want it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:56 am »

did we get anything from the pirates?

You got the plans for their Jaegar class vessel.  Thought I had made it fairly obvious with the capturing portion, but I probably should have put the information in the message from the Colonial Government.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 30, 2015, 11:23:46 am »

Quote from: What we got from that, inorder to save time.
Jaegar - An eight gun cutter, a small, single-masted vessel, that is more manoeuvrable and faster than larger vessels. It is armed with three cannons a side, with another two forward facing. There is however, very little space for crew or loot. (Very Expensive)
Highly Opinionated Fool

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 30, 2015, 11:28:41 am »

I suspected that, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the reply.

I wish we got the cheap cannons instead, but I guess we can't have everything :P it still is more ships for our fleet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2015, 11:31:13 am »

That's rather great.

So, we got three votes for what is basically a copy of what the enemy did their first turn and two for something to try to surpass them, plus the usual vote or three for random stuff. Joy.

Well, a bit different. The enemy revised their gun. Ours is a new design.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 30, 2015, 11:36:06 am »

are the jaeger guns 6 pounders? if so, we can mount our own imperial cannons there. fast and long ranged, it would be a great addition.

by getting a new design on the gun, we might get some good tech like with the cannon. I hope at least better performance. And either way there is no shame in doing something similar to what an enemy did. we are just catching up in a field, but we are ahead in other ( artillery, ships)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2015, 11:38:50 am »

are the jaeger guns 6 pounders?

Yes they are, so your imperial cannon is fully compatible.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 30, 2015, 11:53:25 am »

I still would have preferred the cheaper cannon tech... but this is still great!

a fast cutter complements our heavier ship well.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2015, 12:08:50 pm »

I definitely understand where you're coming from - you see the Long-Range Rifle Mk. I as primarily a copy of the Samara, and see that their use has not helped Atterton against the Victoria Air Rifle and that, therefore, the Long-Range Rifle Mk. I will not help us in the land war. Additionally, you see it as not giving us much new technology to build upon.
From my view, the Long-Range Rifle Mk. I is not simply a copy of the Samara Rifle - where the Samara had been a shortened adaption of the Brown Bess, the Mk. I is a completely new design. This means, in comparison, a higher effective range - probably double or more, a higher reload speed thanks to the Minié Ball, and it will be cheaper than the Victoria Rifle.
Looking at the different designs, the Victoria is able to fire fifteen shots in about thirty seconds to a minute, to an effective distance of 50-100 meters. The Samara, with an effective range of about 100-150m is going to be able to fire one shot every thirty to sixty seconds. The projected Mk. I rifle will be able to effectively fire at a range of 300m, probably slightly faster than the Samara.
Therefore, where the Samara allows the enemy to close the fifty meter range difference in a few seconds, they'd have to run two hundred meters to get into range - a rather more daunting proposal.
In effect, while I think that it'll provide less new tech than the alternatives, it provides us with an immediately useable weapon for our skirmishers, and later (once cheap, maybe even immediately with our ore?) even for our mainline infantry.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2015, 12:18:57 pm »

The Samara rifle also uses minie balls, so it will probably reload faster than a full size muzzle-loading rifle.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2015, 12:57:47 pm »

How about this?

Design:Long Range Rifle

Revision:Add a percussion cap and lindner muzzle-loading system. This gives us the best infantry weapon of everyone that we don't need to worry about for a couple turns-unless we want to go for full brass cartridges and bolt action as well :p
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2015, 01:06:41 pm »

Only the Imperial rifle includes percussion caps. In my case its due to all the other new stuff and projected ease of conversion. Dunno about Pi's gun.

Oh, also, a note on revolver VS pepperbox (no, I aint gonna stop with this for a few more years), note that one of the NPCs made a picklegun and how its rate of fire is halved due to the difficulty in getting everything lined up so it does not explode. Guess what dosent have that issue?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »

By the time you would get working pepperbox we may as well design (buy?) a working Collier Revolver, which, being a revolver, is superior.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

So, you honestly dont think we can develop a comparatively simple and cheap item in... 24~ years? Because thats about how long until revolvers show. Revolving weapons during this time period consist of puckleguns and similar, and puckleguns needed a piece to be unscrewed and the cylinders indexed by hand while the similar ones (namely Ft. Combe's Mini Cannon) have to be checked before firing to make sure that the gun is in alignment, else the thing explodes.

So, if you dont mind, explain exactly how revolvers are superior. It cant be power, because of the cylinder gap. It cant be complexity, because revolvers are far more complex. It cant be cost, due to that complexity. Ease of use is out in 99% of all cases, weight is a possibility, and that mostly leaves looks.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34