Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36878 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Design Phase
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2015, 04:28:41 pm »

Make it cool, I guess.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2015, 04:40:16 pm »

I do think the general shape is agreed upon.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »

Quote from: Results
Imperial 6 Pound Artillery - A lighter variant of the six pound cannon with an effective range of 700 meters. Vast modifications to the casting and production processes of the cannon are made in order to achieve this. This cannon is able to replace the old six pound cannons on vessels that used it. (Very Expensive)

Tech Gained:
Improved Casting

Obsoletes:
6 Pound Cannons

Honestly would have thought you would go for making a dedicated transport vessel.  Though from what's been said, it looks like you are going to be using your revision to modify an existing ship to be able to use their shipyards.

You have now entered the Revision Phase.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:12:59 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Revision Phase
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »

Dover-class Brig - A ship with a 95 foot by 27 foot gundeck that is fitted with two six pound cannons. Those are able to be shifted between it's original positions at the sides and gunports at aft of the ship. Most of it's ammunition and powder storages have been replaced with holds for cargo and supplies for longer voyages.
Something akin to this, someone fix it because I have no fucking idea about ships actually. Also, yeah, we're going to turn a brig-sloop into a brig. Dunno if that works.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2015, 10:01:37 pm »

Personally I don't see why we can't just make a brig-sloop as a trader instead of trying to change ship types, but hey, I don't know that much about the navies of this time period.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2015, 11:15:07 pm »

I think we can just get a trader/transport version of the brig/sloop. I doubt we will use the transport soon, but it will be useful for when we decide we want to land somewhere. But cargo? cargo is good. we can improve the economy and logistics with cargo.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:26 pm »

I support the transport version of our brig.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2015, 11:41:18 pm »

Ho boy I really need to keep up with this better.

Right, I give a +1 to the Dover class. In terms of our plans, I think we should ensure sea dominance first, impose a blockade on the main island, and pound their cities to dust from the waves until they are weakened enough to roll over. So in terms of future plans, I suggest we engineer some kind of Bomb vessel, or ketch. Then we spam out ships until we have enough to blockade the ports and pound them to dust. We will probably need incendiary, explosive, and canister shot for maximum effectiveness, and also some canister shot for our cannons, for obvious reasons, as it's basically murder in a can.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2015, 01:29:19 am »

that could be a good idea.

Had I known earlier about zanzetsuken's change of policy on revised cannons, I would have voted for a different design... but at least we got improved casting, which might be useful.

By the way. Since this is not a continuous war which only end wth total domination, but instead has armistices dividing it in several wars, I think we should set a list of goals to achieve.

my proposal for goals is
1)pirate faction destroyed. I don't need to explain why it is important, but this one will be done way before any armistice comes anyway.

2)ownership of the peninsula near Port silver, due to its usefulness as a staging ground for the invasion of Nelson. It also gives us control of the traffic in the channel between us and the mainland

3)ownership of the peninsula near north of montgomery. Same reasons as above , but with worchester. Less critical, but if we get both this and the above,  we own the channel.

4) ownership of Port silver and/or montgomery themselves. Needless to say, this would be a great boon, but only available if we win a truly great victory and claim them by force.

5) total naval dismantlement of the other nations. Great bonus as well, but before they accept we will need a great victory.

I propose we accept no armistice unless we achieve any of the above ( except the pirate one), unless we suspect to be on the losing side of an island invasion. Furthermore, as soon as diplomatic channels open, I suggest we try to achieve such concessions from one of the other nations in exchange for fleet support. ( as in, ally with one to attack the other, and we keep spoils. Or,  ally with one in exchange fr a chunck of land )

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2015, 02:54:30 am »

Dover-class Brig - A ship with a 95 foot by 27 foot gundeck that is fitted with two six pound cannons. Those are able to be shifted between it's original positions at the sides and gunports at aft of the ship. Most of it's ammunition and powder storages have been replaced with holds for cargo and supplies for longer voyages.
Something akin to this, someone fix it because I have no fucking idea about ships actually. Also, yeah, we're going to turn a brig-sloop into a brig. Dunno if that works.
Of course that works.

The definition of a sloop, according to the British, is that it's a single decked warship with up to 18 guns. A brig sloop therefore, is simply a military brig. Many of these were later resold into commercial service.

The only thing we need to do is take out guns and add supplies.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2015, 12:30:44 pm »

The definition of a sloop, according to the British, is that it's a single decked warship with up to 18 guns. A brig sloop therefore, is simply a military brig. Many of these were later resold into commercial service.

The only thing we need to do is take out guns and add supplies.
Basically. Also I think the sloop-of-war have three masts as opposed to brig-sloop with two, and to regular sloop with one. So logical.
Personally I don't see why we can't just make a brig-sloop as a trader instead of trying to change ship types, but hey, I don't know that much about the navies of this time period.
That's what we're actually doing, just changing the name to differentiate the ones used to trade and the ones used to fight.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2015, 01:35:42 pm »

Hey guys, since we're British Loyalists, we should have a leg up on building practical steam engines since we SHOULD have knowledge of James Watt and his double-action steam engine, which is far more efficient than existing steam engines(in fact, his design was first commercialized in 1776). We should make a Watt steam engine next turn to power factories and maybe mount on a ship.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2015, 05:24:31 pm »

You Watt?
But yeah, that sounds considerate.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2015, 09:12:04 pm »

So are we just waiting on the game master now? I think we're all in agreement.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2015, 09:14:42 pm »

Lights the GM signal
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34