Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36849 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Design Phase
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2015, 11:46:06 pm »

Imperial 6 Pound Artillery

Unlike previous artillery pieces, which were cast around a clay cylinder, which can result in deformities, these guns are cast as a solid block of metal. The bore is then bored out by a rather large stationary drill. The effect of this are significant. The tighter mechanical tolerances result in a greater muzzle velocity, better accuracy, and allow for the gun to be greatly lightened. It is expected that an effective range of 800 meters should be feasible.
This has my vote.

Can we use a Revision action to gain new ammo types?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:57 am »

we need to rule the waves. A good navy, while our enemies rely on fishing boats and steam failures, will allow us to be safe, to pick our engagements at will, to always have unobstructed supply lines and to choke the rebellious island crowds into submission, by total embargo.

+1 to better cannons.
Possibly design them to fit in the brig-sloop? if that isn't possible I guess we can use a revision, but it seems odd that a ship would be SO specific with guns that only one type could fit. There is no ocmplex turret/loader mechanism at this stage of naval warfare, I think.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2015, 02:36:27 am »

Possibly design them to fit in the brig-sloop? if that isn't possible I guess we can use a revision, but it seems odd that a ship would be SO specific with guns that only one type could fit. There is no ocmplex turret/loader mechanism at this stage of naval warfare, I think.
It is the age of muzzle-loaders, where the loader mechanism are six to ten sailors, and the only turret you'll find is a sailor standing in the crow's nest. So I hope they'll fit.

Also, keep in mind that Dunwich, at least, will definitely design artillery this turn [1]. On the other hand, with our new ore, the artillery we build should be cheaper than theirs, meaning more cannons.

[1] No, I didn't look into their thread. It's obvious - they're blocked by assault on Ft. Combe by artillery, and one of the ways to counter the pistoleers is artillery.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:17 am »

Remember too, that our ships become one unit cheaper this turn. If our resource option is usefull, we might even be looking at cheap ships.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2015, 04:23:37 am »

which is good. We want to eliminate the pirate threat before the other nations get their own proper fleets.
a sea which we dominate, which decent artillery, is a sea which allows shore bombardment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2015, 04:34:01 am »

I propose rather than first taking out the Pirates, we smash the enemies fleets first. Whatever they do, they can't overwhelm our naval forces now. If we take on them both, we can quarantaine them to their ports. After that we can use 1 action to defend the sea, and one action to off the Pirates or something else.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:40:08 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2015, 04:38:52 am »

they don't have fleets. They have a bunch of fishing boats, even less than we have. And from what I gather, they are almost blockaded anyway, as in they don't use the sea much. Pirates however have a working warship, which will also get cheaper next turn. enforcing a blockade on 2 nations while another naval power is running loose might be hard.  And right now, ineffective as well, since they have nothing worth blockading, although starting early might make any successive ship design hard to deploy.

edit: that said, considering we have 2 actions we can bash the pirates with one half of our possibly enormous fleet, while blockading a port with the other.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:49:06 am by andrea »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2015, 05:01:56 am »

Well, we certainly need to take care of the Pirates. I just realized that they have decent odds of landing a force on our shores.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:44 am »

Reporting in!

Anyways, +1 to cannons.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:56 am »

they don't have fleets. They have a bunch of fishing boats, even less than we have. And from what I gather, they are almost blockaded anyway, as in they don't use the sea much. Pirates however have a working warship, which will also get cheaper next turn. enforcing a blockade on 2 nations while another naval power is running loose might be hard.  And right now, ineffective as well, since they have nothing worth blockading, although starting early might make any successive ship design hard to deploy.

edit: that said, considering we have 2 actions we can bash the pirates with one half of our possibly enormous fleet, while blockading a port with the other.

Well, we certainly need to take care of the Pirates. I just realized that they have decent odds of landing a force on our shores.
With that, how about we use one focus against the pirates, affirming our mastery of the seas, and the other to build defenses on our island? Making sure that even if an invasion slips through our fleets, they won't get far before getting their logistical tail smashed in.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:22 am »

Eh, I don't like that. The problem is that we have three points on our island were they can invade, so whatever defense we set up will be ineffective, and easily bypassed. I trust in our navies ability to destroy them.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2015, 11:35:43 am »

+1 to the artillery

For Foucus I propose we smash the navy of both nations with a better ship, Pirates and the confederacy I think.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2015, 11:38:47 am »

Maybe let's just swim around and gun down all of their ships if any still exist. Pirates and the Monarchy of course, since Monarchy built themselves a steamship if I recall correctly. I want to see it blow up.
Also, what about we steal Pirates ship?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:06 am »

Yup, I want to see that Steamship sink.

Stealing the Pirate ship would be interesting, but so would stealing the Victoria or one of the other guns on the island. We do have to invade sometime, can't stick out on the sea forever.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:47 pm »

We could totally use the Victoria on our ships as some kind of machine gun for whatever reason, because Nordenfelts won't be a thing for like, 90 years, but proably would better end with some kind of Puckle gun.
Also, honestly, navy, navy and marines all the way. Then we can focus on turning the naval equipment into something we can use on land.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34