Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36887 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Design Phase
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »

*whispered* Lindner carbines someday...

Hmmm... Wonder if we can develop the Minié ball a few decades early. Would allow us to rifle our rifles without sacrificing rate of fire (which is why muskets where used for... about 400 years after rifling? Probably longer.). Or we could just head right for Lindners...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2015, 12:09:00 pm »

I don't think there is a steamship - it's national effort, so the most they could have done is to invest in the shipyard for it.
Even if not,
The paddles and required shape causes it to perform poorly with even minor waves, so it needs to stick to rivers and the inland lake.
It's not a threat to us, and I'd rather not risk our ships on lakes and rivers.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2015, 12:11:39 pm »

Hmmm... Wonder if we can develop the Minié ball a few decades early.
We can try, it might end badly tho.
I don't think there is a steamship - it's national effort, so the most they could have done is to invest in the shipyard for it.
Even if not,
The paddles and required shape causes it to perform poorly with even minor waves, so it needs to stick to rivers and the inland lake.
It's not a threat to us, and I'd rather not risk our ships on lakes and rivers.
I can't hear you over the sound of RULE BRITTANIA and exploding steamships.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2015, 12:36:39 pm »

We could refit our boats to be useable on land and overwhelm people with our slow tanks.

We could put them on wheels or treads, cut out the bottom and get people to push them from the inside while our gunners lay waste to their armies, horrible on rough terrain but a great landing force.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »

Which'll happen regardless of whether our ships are nearby or not; the whole design looks like it'd be ready to spontaneously ungergo exothermic reaction.

@Zanzetkuken: Does the Atterton Monarchy actually possess a steamship?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2015, 12:40:37 pm »

Out of those, I'd go for the minie ball first since that makes rifling at least practical(smoothbore muskets are more practical than rifled ones for several reason until the minie ball came about), but let's save that for either a revision or next turn :P

As for the steamship, it doesn't sound like it would be a threat. At all. I'd rather we go after pirates first. Though, if they do continue to pursue steam tech they might be able to spark an industrial revolution(which could lead to them outpacing us industrially), so we need to start thinking in that direction soon.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2015, 12:41:15 pm »

They can only get so rekt.

Which'll happen regardless of whether our ships are nearby or not; the whole design looks like it'd be ready to spontaneously ungergo exothermic reaction.
Look up the OOC thread.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:34 pm »

@Zanzetkuken: Does the Atterton Monarchy actually possess a steamship?
As of the beginning of this turn, they have a single steamship. They spent last turn building the test-only prototype and the drydock.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2015, 01:05:17 pm »

Anyway, a few more questions.

Do we need to revise our ships if we upgrade the guns?

Can we design new ammo types at the same time as the gun? Do ammo types transfer between weaponry?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2015, 01:47:48 pm »

Answering questions here so that everyone knows.

Quote from: 10ebbor10
Do we need to revise our ships if we upgrade the guns?

Can we design new ammo types at the same time as the gun? Do ammo types transfer between weaponry?

If the cannons are the same class (for example, six pound cannons for all current ships), no.

If designed with a weapon, then the ammo type would only work with that weapon, unless a later weapon states it can use that type of ammunition as well.  If the ammunition is designed by itself, then the ammunition can be made to work with multiple existing weapons.  This is applicable to a fair amount of other technologies (ex. Steam Engines) as well.
So given this, I think I'm going to drop my plans to convince people to use our revision phase for explosive shot, as I'd prefer our 'special ammo' type things to be as widely used as possible. Well, widely used by us, not our enemies.

Anyone want to try to revise the Brown Bess Musket into a carbine of our own, or does someone have a better idea for what to revise this turn? Assuming we don't use our revision to upgrade our new cannon.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2015, 02:15:38 pm »

We might try to further reinforce our resource base by revising a civilian version of our ship. The Brig was a popular early 19 the century merchant craft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »

Well, what we have is basically a Brig that has been specifically built for fighting ships (aka more guns, cargo bays turned into ammo storage and so on), so I guess the revision will be easy.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2015, 02:51:10 pm »

We could refit our boats to be useable on land and overwhelm people with our slow tanks.

We could put them on wheels or treads, cut out the bottom and get people to push them from the inside while our gunners lay waste to their armies, horrible on rough terrain but a great landing force.
I know this was never popularized in real life but other then horrible rough terrain movement are there any big problems that make this not worth it?
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »

I know this was never popularized in real life but other then horrible rough terrain movement are there any big problems that make this not worth it?
Weight. It's fucking easy to take over, after all it's easier to board something from land than from sea. Easy to destroy, you just need to take out one wheel and a bigger stone can do that. Horrible any terrain movement. Basically everything is wrong with this.
EDIT:
Also not much useful when your cannons are all sideways. There is a reason why you usually want to have the gun pointing forward in a tank.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:38 pm »

Should I roll up for the Imperial 6 pound artillery or are more features going to be added to it?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34