Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58261 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #510 on: November 24, 2015, 12:46:41 pm »

They have almost no international recognition, if any.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 24, 2015, 12:52:41 pm »

And there's not a single legit nation in the world that would be unhappy if they disappeared. Even North Korea has allies but IBLIS only has nations that are neutral at best
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 24, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »

The fledgling rebelling American colonies only had recognition because Britain had continental European enemies who were willing to support us at the time, and then, of course, when we actually managed to win the revolution, Britain recognized us.

Daesh's doctrine calls for constant endless expansionary war until the apocalypse, no diplomacy, no compromise, no alliances, while declaring the vast majority of the world's population to be apostates in need of genocide. The only relationship they accept is obedience (see Boko Haram), and then apparently only from Sunnis following their extreme ideology (or Christians paying a tax). I can't imagine any state every recognizing them, even if they were desperate to avoid being conquered. Hell, they even consider the Taliban apostates. THE FUCKING TALIBAN - because they have NEGOTIATED! It's incredible.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #513 on: November 24, 2015, 01:57:04 pm »

Bandits don't recognize borders; nations in turn do not recognize bandits

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 24, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »

Daesh's doctrine calls for constant endless expansionary war until the apocalypse, no diplomacy, no compromise, no alliances, while declaring the vast majority of the world's population to be apostates in need of genocide. The only relationship they accept is obedience (see Boko Haram), and then apparently only from Sunnis following their extreme ideology (or Christians paying a tax). I can't imagine any state every recognizing them, even if they were desperate to avoid being conquered. Hell, they even consider the Taliban apostates. THE FUCKING TALIBAN - because they have NEGOTIATED! It's incredible.
Eh, a lot of that applies to the early Soviet Union as well. International recoognition as a criterion for statehood is iffy anyway: It would mean that a nation conquering all others would cease to exist along with its last conquest...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 24, 2015, 02:05:12 pm »

I could see IBLIS eventually being recognized as a soverign nation by a world Power not wishing to be held accountable for nuking Iraq or Syria.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:07:19 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »

Well, there would be no international, then. It would pretty much say:
"I am a country, motherfucker. I dare you to oppose me, I double dare you motherfucker oppose me once."
And then nobody opposed because everyone was dead.

Ninja'ed by Bohandas.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 24, 2015, 02:09:40 pm »

Eh, a lot of that applies to the early Soviet Union as well. International recoognition as a criterion for statehood is iffy anyway: It would mean that a nation conquering all others would cease to exist along with its last conquest...

Except the Soviets weren't out to genocide everybody and after WWII, they weren't out to accquire more territory for themselves (though they didn't want to share Berlin with the others), just spread Communist ideals.

A better example would be the Mongols.

Where's Owlbread, this kind of discussion would be right up his alley.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:13:02 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #518 on: November 24, 2015, 02:12:41 pm »

I think a contrast can be made with how the PRC gradually became accepted over time as the legitimate sovereign of China versus nationalist China, stuck on Taiwan

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:43 pm »

"The United States did not recognize the new Russian government until 1933. The European powers recognized the Soviet Union in the early 1920s and began to engage in business with it after the New Economic Policy (NEP) was implemented." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Revolution

Somebody had to withdraw from WWI in 1917, too, and it happened after the Bolsheviks took control.

Also what smjjames wrote.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:49 pm »

I don't see ISIS carving out their own borders anytime soon and there are plenty of people in Iraq and Syria that don't want to lose a chunk of their own country, including the rebels fighting Assad.

Really, the main difference between early Soviet Russia and ISIS is that ISIS doesn't want to engage in business unless they're pressing a sword to the throat of the person/group they are doing business with.

ISIS's behavior is more in line with the Mongols than any fledgeling state of the past 500 years.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:23:01 pm by smjjames »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 24, 2015, 02:43:53 pm »

The mongols weren't as totalitarian though
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 24, 2015, 02:48:43 pm »

I don't know about that. If cities would roll over for isil, I'd imagine that it wouldn't be very different from the mongol empire at its height.

People don't roll over for that kind of barbarism anymore, however.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 24, 2015, 02:51:22 pm »

The Conquest of Canaan m8ght be a good metaphor
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 24, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »

The mongols weren't as totalitarian though

Yeah I know, their ruthlessness was mainly confined to the battlefield.

I don't know about that. If cities would roll over for isil, I'd imagine that it wouldn't be very different from the mongol empire at its height.

People don't roll over for that kind of barbarism anymore, however.

At least the Mongols offered the choice of becoming a vassal.

As for cities rolling over for ISIS, you're talking about Iraq with it's coward military and Syria where there wasn't an unified front and Assad has been ignoring them. For cities that DON'T roll over for ISIS, one word, Kobani.

The Conquest of Canaan m8ght be a good metaphor

You mean where King David united the various tribes and united Judea into one state?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49