Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.17 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!  (Read 21961 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.17 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

Yeah this was roughly twice as good as my previous best tournament, so I'm feeling ok with myself :D 90th out of 3600 dudes, with our team 7th out of 217.

Still incredibly mad about the 4 wins I threw away; on the bright side I managed to both starve AND drown in endgame/extended, so hey!

Since I didn't get enough Crawl, I downloaded the latest trunk and started a DsMo*Chei; naturally my first ever character on the newest version is basically unstoppable. I'm going to see if I can 15-rune it, then do a firestorm/lichform caster of Veh, and then go play Tome 4 because I'm somewhat sick of Crawl.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »

Well, looks like we have beaten our previous record of 10th place by getting 7th. I got fed up with crawl after a while and wish I could have contributed more but congrats guys, we did it!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »

Well, despite not managing to win, I did come out on top of the Miners by a rather healthy margin (being the only one that managed to get a rune helped :P.)

Plus: High score for Deep Dwarf Air Elementalist!

Congrats to the Champions - you guys kicked ass.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »

I'm going to see if I can 15-rune it, then do a firestorm/lichform caster of Veh, and then go play Tome 4 because I'm somewhat sick of Crawl.

(Somewhat off-topic, but we don't have a 'General Roguelike Thread' and we obviously all share them as an interest).

I'm at a bit of a loose end now in terms of what to play, now that the tournament's over. ToME was something I considered. But I keep trying to go back to it, because there's a lot about it that's engaging and unique (plus it's been way too long since I've heard the Elven Ruins music), but there's also so much that pisses me off about it every time I try to start playing.

The difficulty levels aren't well-balanced (videogame difficulty levels are rarely well-balanced in general; developers often attempt to balance Normal or Easy, then just quickly double a bunch of numbers for the hard mode). The early-game is extremely slow and repetitive. The campaign is far too long, and the damage levels are so high that a single inattentive keypress can kill you at late stages of the game, so it adds up to becoming a fatiguing experience.

So yeah, I used to like ToME a great deal, but every time I get tempted to go back (normally trying to get my first win on Insane/Roguelike) I quickly get tired.

Meh, I spent most of this afternoon playing Tome 4 to relieve frustration from losing so many promising characters. I won't comment on the harder difficulty levels, but for me, Tome is about building a character and wrecking things.  Same with Crawl, really. The most fun I've had with Crawl, for example, was tearing through Ziggarat Sprint with a HOFI of Qazlal spamming Disaster Area. Its fun to press a button and watch everybody die or pile on so many buffs that you're moving faster then an ADHD cheetah and tankier then a small mountain, especially when you were once much much weaker.  I guess that harder difficulty levels might make finally winning through feel more satisfying, but I see no need to move off of Normal/Adventure, except maybe to Normal/Roguelike. I've beaten the game without dying on Adventure several times, but sometimes its nice to have a safety net for absurdly stupid things like dying to a skeleton warrior because you kept trying to move through it.

I got fed up with crawl after a while and wish I could have contributed more but congrats guys, we did it!

Same, mostly, although I think I burned out later when my really good HEFE died a bullshit death.

In any case, the tournament was fun. I've gotten a LOT better at this game and I achieved one of my long-term goals for the game: Get the Necronomicon spells castable and use them to win. Now I just need to win with a Naga Transmuter of Chei...
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 23, 2015, 02:35:25 am »

Seeing as everyone else is talking about what the roguelike they are going to play next:

After a long hiatus, I shall be returning at least for a while to ADOM, sending untold gnomish elementalists directly into the ToEF to die before their first kill, but sometimes, maybe, to almost clear the first level. Will also be flinging some bling; trying to avoid acid traps, and actually trying to win power combos. Seems the newer versions have lots of new stuff to learn as well, so I dare say many deaths shall occur.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:50 pm »

So apparently Xom hates me. First offline game I play after the tournament, as a Naga Transmuter of Chei is going ridiculously well. Two runes, good equipment and I just found almost all the spells I need to wreck some face. Couldn't this have happened DURING the tournament? :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]