Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 921776 times)

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #17505 on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »

It's COMPUTERS.

They use different metals and ores than iron.
So?

Physics is still physics!

"Yes" and "No" aren't on/off?

And what was that program programmed in?

You're conflating the complexity of the output with the complexity of the coding language.

Earth to TBF but PHYSICS IS NOT USED IN COMPUTER PROGRAMING. Binary in Star Wars is not the Starting point of the Computer language  used in the Universe. If your going to say that it did, Then link it, don't just say it did.

@Twin, Aw, but it's so fun watching his arguements get destroyed and him try to save them. On a serious note, this is getting tiring...

It states that a previous system of literally yes or no existed, but was replaced.

No.

It states that the outputs of the system were Y/N.

The outputs have little to do with the internals.

Bullshit. I'm calling bullshit on that. If a system was not designed to produce something, why was it designed? The output is the desired outcome of the inputs to a system. Without Outputs, A system is useless. So.... My question now is do you even know anything about basic programming?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: April 27, 2016, 07:22:52 pm »

I'm relatively sure TBF does know about real life programming. The issue is that they're assuming that it works like that in Star Wars, which wouldn't make sense for reasons previously stated.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:00 pm »

Earth to Sanure:Hardware design is physics.  Hardware design constrains software design.  Therefore, physics is used in computer programming.

Yes, the output is what you get out of a system.

But inputting 3,4,5 into a Pythagorean triple finder and getting a boolean out, and assuming that the program only uses booleans, especially when you fed it integers, is kinda really, really stupid.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:27:01 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:54 pm »

No.

It states that the outputs of the system were Y/N.

The outputs have little to do with the internals.
You are literally arguing against yourself here. That's one less reason to assume they use binary.
Still applies. You're arguing that the internal process is unknown, which exactly fits our side of things.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:29 pm »

But the internal process is constrained by hardware, which is probably in base-2.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: April 27, 2016, 07:26:34 pm »

There is absolutely no reason to assume this, once again. You cannot base your argument off of probablys or could bes -- speculation does not a logical base make. Especially because there is no reason it is even probably -- the soviets, for a period, used researched ternary computers.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:28:37 pm by Powder Miner »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17511 on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »

Actually, it's probably not, for reasons we've gone over several times now. You are basing your ideas on real-life coding and such, which does not apply to a fictional universe with nearly nothing in common with real life.

And why are you still arguing when you've already been told "No" on what started this argument?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:55 pm »

To be fair, this is because I brought it up in OOC.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: April 27, 2016, 07:31:29 pm »

But the internal process is constrained by hardware, which is probably in base-2.
I was about to speak up about something... but... this quote.

Only firmware or software can be Base-2, not hardware. that's like saying a metal sheet can do basic math... There is a reason Hardware is called Hardware. It's the physical container of Firmware. Firmware is the Programmed material that is used to process data and complete functions. Saying Hardware is Base-2 is not only ridiculous, but seriously sad...
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:58 pm »

I'm leaving definitions here:

Hardware: The machines, wiring, and other physical components of a computer or other electronic system.
Firmware: Permanent software programmed into a read-only memory.
Software: The programs and other operating information used by a computer.

Firmware and Software is stored on Hardware. Firmware uses Software to preform it's duties. This is basic Computer knowledge for those not too into the technical aspects of Computing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17515 on: April 27, 2016, 07:39:06 pm »

Yes, good for you.

The hardware has an on state, and an off state.  I was avoiding saying 'binary' because apparently you wanted to conflate it with the data transfer protocol that I think should be referred to solely as 'droidspeak', which was my mistake, but it was nonetheless clear what I meant.
Sigtext

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17516 on: April 27, 2016, 07:41:28 pm »

Yes, good for you.

The hardware has an on state, and an off state.  I was avoiding saying 'binary' because apparently you wanted to conflate it with the data transfer protocol that I think should be referred to solely as 'droidspeak', which was my mistake, but it was nonetheless clear what I meant.

Wow, did you not even see the Wikia and how it called the language the Binary Language? Anyways, At this point your comparing Apples to lemons. Hardware can have more than an on State and an off state. Basic Physics since you like that so much. did you know it can be on a sleep state? Or a idle state? It can even have a working state. That's at least 5. So... wanna try again?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: April 27, 2016, 07:42:29 pm »

The thing is, everything boils down to binary.  It's not 'entirely different'.  It presumably started from the same roots.
We all boil down to matter.
Terrestrial life boils down to DNA and RNA.
That does not mean just understanding one aspect permits the understanding of the other.

If you are really arguing it should be able to try and understand this world's internet, then I argue that they must pass a very high INT roll to remain sane, for the abomination, the great adversary lurks beneath this bright veneer, its transgressions many, its sins innumerable, its victims doomed to eternal agony. And it's name is Javascript.

Earth to Sanure:Hardware design is physics.  Hardware design constrains software design.  Therefore, physics is used in computer programming.
Except 6AR's world has different physics. In between people wielding plasma blades without just getting incinerated by the heat coming off of it, and the seemingly self-contained plasma bolts.

I'm relatively sure TBF does know about real life programming.
Yes, but that doesn't automatically make them an authority on it either, I mean, I know that there are at least three other people here with some kind of IT background (myself, Twi, and USEC).
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:34 pm »

Yes, good for you.

The hardware has an on state, and an off state.
The first barb is rather unnecessary, although I don't like the barbs tossed in at you either, necessarily.

But that is, again, Earth technology. You have yet to support the notion that it must be binary, at least without being refuted... and the unfortunate thing for your argument is that computers do not have to be binary. I mentioned Soviet research before (I am repeating myself, as these same points have been refuted multiple times by now), but it did have noticeable benefits over binary... but ternary computers fell by the wayside because, unlike the United States, the Soviet Union did not have the industrial and technological capacity to mass-produce and further research the system, whereas United-States manufactured and researched binary spread like wildfire and simply obsoleted USSR tech by virtue of quantity and advancement. Ternary systems are quite viable in reality, and it's most possible Star Wars tech uses them -- binary, the assumption behind the chain of assumptions you must make for 6AR to google something, is not guaranteed.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: April 27, 2016, 07:44:53 pm »

I'm relatively sure TBF does know about real life programming.
Yes, but that doesn't automatically make them an authority on it either, I mean, I know that there are at least three other people here with some kind of IT background (myself, Twi, and USEC).
You seem to ignore the rest of that post, which went on to state that it doesn't matter how much they know about our programming, there's no reason it would work like that in Star Wars.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1328