Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73902 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2015, 11:53:49 pm »

Agreed.  Plus, it only jumps 4, when I prefer all jump-capable mechs to jump 5.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 17, 2015, 03:58:22 am »

Nah, the damage output is on par for 45-55 tonners from that era.

Assuming it hits with everything, the Centurion can do up to 25 damage a round. The Hunchback does 33 damage, the Shadow Hawk does 19, the Wolverine does 22, and the Phoenix Hawk does 22. I admit that I prefer to have more then three weapon systems, but it's in the correct damage range.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 17, 2015, 04:34:38 am »

And it is only missing the rear facing med laser from the standard version. It also runs a lot cooler than the Phoenix Hawk which has 10 HS and can produce 14 heat from shooting alone. One of the few mechs where the machine guns seem kind of useful, because you can do at least some damage when you jumped your already hot mech behind someone. :D

I just mothballed my Centurions. Along with all the lights (35t only, Firestarters, Panthers and Jenners) and a couple others where I have enough at hand (Hunchbacks and Phoenix Hawks mostly).

It is really nice to see the enemy slowly upgrading in the '40s. The first instances where Thorns with CASE. Well, they died anyway, but hey, it was worth a try. Now I had to fight a champion in an LB 10 X.

And I finally tried my UAC/5 Rifleman (upgraded from the 3C variant) and I am not impressed. I think I will just keep the AC/10s and switch the armor to ferro fibrous so I can install CASE.

I just looted a Victor 9B, only slightly damaged but missing a head, and it is basically an 80t Hunchback with 4 jumpjets and a SRM 4 in place of the small laser. Compared to that the damage of the Hunchback and Centurion and some other meds is great. :D

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2015, 05:00:18 am »

Until double heatsinks are a thing, around 30-40 damage a round is a general limit without the mech shutting down or exploding from heat buildup. The Warhammer can do 20-36 damage a round depending on the range and how hard you're willing to spike the heat, but it can't alpha strike without having to do a shutdown check. The Awesome does up to 33 damage in a round, Or you have the Zeus which can do up to 38 damage if everything connects.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2015, 05:11:34 am »

The Dervish 6M should be able of 38 as well, though it is highly unlikely with all those missiles. It also produces way more heat than it can handle.
I guess the only way to do more are ACs, but those things are heavy! And need ammo.
Why is it that 1t of machine gun ammo could do 400dmg, but AC ammo can do 100 at most? And did anyone ever manage to run out of MG ammo, even the half ton variant?

Stalkers can do huge amounts of damage though. The 4N can dish out 52 without producing excess heat (if you use quirks). All in the same range bracket.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 17, 2015, 05:53:06 am »

I tend to think of machine gun ammo as being an 'ooops' situation. Probably someone somewhere figured out how many .50cal bullets you'd have in one ton and they worked from there.

As it is, it tends to be an explosive trap waiting to annihilate your mech if someone manages to hit your machine gun ammo storage.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2015, 07:24:06 am »

Yes, I'll definitely return to the AC/10s:

Ultra AC/5 at Dragon DRG-1N (Draconis Combine); needs 3, rolls 2 : THE AUTOCANNON JAMS;
misses

Ultra AC/5 at Dragon DRG-1N (Draconis Combine); needs 3, rolls 2 : THE AUTOCANNON JAMS;
misses

Great, to 2s in a row!

Edit: And I can't seem to unjam them. :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:51:24 am by Rince Wind »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2015, 10:30:51 am »

FINALLY... dear goodness finally I understand how to use this freeken program.

>_< at least well enough to no longer be hit over the head with huge overwhelming barriers of entry.

---

Hmm we can't deploy infantry in battle...

But do BattleArmors fair better? They are frankly sturdier.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:08:23 am by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 17, 2015, 11:46:00 am »

FINALLY... dear goodness finally I understand how to use this freeken program.

>_< at least well enough to no longer be hit over the head with huge overwhelming barriers of entry.

---

Hmm we can't deploy infantry in battle...

But do BattleArmors fair better? They are frankly sturdier.

Actually, you can deploy infantry in battle.  It is just that The Rulez state that foot infantry can only be deployed as part of Garrison Lances.  But I don't think its coded anywhere.

For the record, it's a good rule, as Foot infantry are too slow for a running battle or charging offensive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2015, 11:47:57 am »

It is more that we cannot deploy them because the CPU over-focuses on them and blasts them into oblivion.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 17, 2015, 11:51:33 am »

I'm not sure yet on battle armor. I don't have the mechanics of the swarm attack firmly down yet, but I did play a battle yesterday with four vehicles, two VTOLs, four battle armor squads and two mechs against a WoB 6-mech unit.

Ended up losing two of the vehicles to crits as well as one of the flyers, and one of the mechs. I only lost two troopers from one of the battle armor squads, as they were generally staying in buildings and weren't considered priority targets. They ended up being my little engine-killers, as their small lasers and autorifles were freakishly effective at hitting engine criticals across four of the six mechs.

Also, improved heavy gauss rifles are fun, but not when your mech fumbles its piloting roll and falls down for firing while on a run. :P

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:09 pm »

Edit: And I can't seem to unjam them. :(
Yeah, they can't be unjammed in combat. Rotary ACs can be (and can fire up to 4 shots instead of 1 or 2), but are heavier, slightly shorter ranged, and not introduced until 3062. You can bypass introduction dates by using bonus parts, but I don't think that's intended (and I think you'd have to keep using them for the ammo, which means that you can't really use the high ROF). There's also an unofficial rule to enable unjamming for UACs identically to RACs.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

I'll have to look for that rule. Without it UACs seem pretty bad compared to their standard brethren one size up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 17, 2015, 01:01:50 pm »

I'll have to look for that rule. Without it UACs seem pretty bad compared to their standard brethren one size up.

UAC can fire twice in a single round :P

It certainly helps.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:42 pm »

UAC can fire twice in a single round :P

It certainly helps.

It helps until they jam 1 out of 12 times.
I usually don't bother with them unless it's the ultra ac/20.
Can't resist that sweet sweet 40 damage!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40