Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVII: The Extra Guards Game over Town Victory  (Read 55090 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Also a reminder to OSG, in case he missed it:

Hm, that is an interesting point.  What's your opinion on the Day 1 play of hector13?  If hector13 is scum, who do you think might be his partner?  You said that hector13 was throwing about random scumtells rather actual arguments against NJW2000.  Could you give some specific examples of this?

Fairly important to look at that, if he intends to vote for me, I think.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile

Welll i just rolled and well.
Njw2000 the random number gods were not in your favor.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

hector13:
Do you just have a bank of quotes at the ready to make the inexperienced players feel bad about themselves? :P
[No, but that's a fantastic idea.]

ATH:

NO

NO NO NO NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO NO NO NO NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[Outside of your very first vote in the RVS stage, you should never at any point be randomly voting someone.  This makes you look like scum who doesn't care who gets lynched.  Always always always have a reason for voting someone!  And if it's not a good reason, then be prepared for the fallout (like getting lynched yourself).]

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[A few more notes before I need to do some real work.  This is some of the best activity I've seen in a beginner's game.  Please keep it up! 
It is also hilarious that the ICs are the least active.  Good job guys.  Especially you, TheDarkStar, as you have fewer posts than I do, and I replaced in.]

I'm feeling pretty good town vibes from Megggas.
ATH I am inclined to think is town, as he seems to be acting in a similar manner to other town newbies that I've seen.
hector13 I am thinking is either town, or scum who really deserves to win.
NJW2000 I'm feeling a little neutral on.
OSG is giving me a weird gut scum feeling, but nothing that I can exactly put a finger on.
TolyK feels like activelurking scum, but I think that's similar to his usual playstyle.  I mean, seriously, could you ask at least one question D2?  Midterms and all, yeah, yeah, but not even one question?  >:(

Actually, now that I think about it, TolyK has been sitting on that ATH vote for a long time and not doing much else.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Jesus christ, man. What?

PPE: I've gotten more time today, I've voted for the extension with hope I did. :)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah... quick question on the extensions. Shouldn't the day end on Monday, rather than today?

It says in the OP that extensions add 48 hours to the end of the day; D2 initially was s'posed to end on Tuesday, first extension would have it end today, second extension on Monday as weekends don't count...

Either way you should be voting with me :P

Anyway, this is the second time you've said I might be clever scum. How come Megas and ATH don't get the "town but could easily be scum" read too?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EBWOP question for filipk above, seeing as I forgot that heh.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile

Ah... quick question on the extensions. Shouldn't the day end on Monday, rather than today?

It says in the OP that extensions add 48 hours to the end of the day; D2 initially was s'posed to end on Tuesday, first extension would have it end today, second extension on Monday as weekends don't count...

Anyway, this is the second time you've said I might be clever scum. How come Megas and ATH don't get the "town but could easily be scum" read too?
You're quite right.  I guess the day is extended till Monday November 15th 1:30 PST, thank you for catching that
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(PFP)

TheDarkStar, I'm still waiting for you to respond to my previous question to you.  It's been over 24 hours since your last post.  Why are you lurking?

Jesus christ, man. What?
Are you gonna ask ATH any actual questions sometime, TolyK?  Maybe try to get him to slip who his scumbuddy is or something?  It seems like you just wait around for him to make an obvious mistake and then react to it with a quip.

I'm probably not gonna be back at my computer until after Day 2 has already ended.  I'll try to keep an eye on the thread using my phone.

PPE: Sweet, more time.  Thanks fillipk.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

ATH Random voting? Seriously, you're getting a null read on both of us? Or a "most scummy" read off both, and you are completely clueless as to which one to vote for? Have you tried doing a cost-benefit analysis, who holds the town's ear more and would be more harmful as scum, who plays better for town, if either hold town back even if they are town, etc?

Not sure what to think about this random voting strategy, as if it goes through and lynches me, it'll make ATH look pretty bad for "randomly" lynching town: people will suspect 'em of being scum and of choosing to lynch me. h/w to do so short post now only, also thanks for the time hec!
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ATH Random voting? Seriously, you're getting a null read on both of us? Or a "most scummy" read off both, and you are completely clueless as to which one to vote for? Have you tried doing a cost-benefit analysis, who holds the town's ear more and would be more harmful as scum, who plays better for town, if either hold town back even if they are town etc?

Not sure what to think about this random voting strategy, as if it goes through and lynches me, it'll make ATH look pretty bad for "randomly" lynching town: people will suspect 'em of being scum and of choosing to lynch me. h/w to do so short post now only, also thanks for the time hec!

You shouldn't think highly of it, as Shakerag said.

He has said he's scum reading both of us, but there's more than enough content from both of us to get a better read on one or the other, and I imagine reading through that would be better than arbitrarily deciding between us. Get to it, ATH.

Not sure how your cost/benefit analysis would help with that. It seems to be based on who would be better to leave alive if they were town, rather than how to decide which one of us is scum. Shakerag has pointed out that my play is either good town or good scum, so it's feasible that a mafioso would come out looking good from that kind of analysis.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hector13:

A lot of it kind of comes down to experience and gut feeling.  ATH's behavior matches with other over-eager town newbies that I've seen before.  Megggas is giving off a helpful town vibe.  Looking up notes from previous scumchats and things like that.

You?  Your posts are very detailed and highly polished.  Now that could just be your style (goodness knows I preview my posts half a dozen times before submitting), but scum players will often be very careful about posting and making sure there's no little detail they've overlooked that could be a slip.  Town players are more likely to shitpost because they're not as worried about trying to hide something and they're more focused on getting content out there.

Having said that, these kinds of analyses bit me squarely in the ass in the last BM, as the two players who had the neatest and most detail-laden posts really were town (when I thought they were scum getting coached) and the two other players who were shitposting actually ended up being the scumteam.  So you can never really have any hard and fast rules when it comes to mafia.

You've obviously been busting NJW2000's balls for a while, so what is your read on TolyK and TheDarkStar?

Furthermore, while you've obviously spent a large amount of time compiling links and stuffing words into paragraphs like Paula Deen stuffs her face with sticks of butter, I can say that my (and quite possibly other players') eyes glaze over when presented with such a huge amount of info.  Brevity being the soul of wit and all, can you sum up your case on NJW2000 in a paragraph?

[I seem to be doing more IC voice than I anticipated this game.  Anyway, concise arguments are often key.  Pick your top three scumtells and bam bam bam lay them out so they catch the eye of the other players in the game and make it easier to digest.  If someone wants more detail, -then- you can hit them with the cluestick like you're the LAPD.  Otherwise it can come across like you're reaching for any little thing to try and paint someone as scummy.]

NJW2K:
Same deal as hector13.  Give me your "Mafia for ADHD" version of your case on him.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Don't randomly vote people after day 1. It makes you look like you don't care.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Alright, my collective case for ATH.

PPE: This took really long. I think I'm going to more or less tone out ATH because I'm frankly tired of rifting through his poorly-formatted posts (not his fault, I know) and pinning more on him. I'll be happy do discuss any points here or anywhere, but I'm going to bed. :)

First off, changing claims very quickly, both in results (though likely a mod mistake/timing thing/his incompetence) and saying who he targeted.
Spoiler: A (click to show/hide)

Next, NJW sums it up fairly well:
Spoiler: B (click to show/hide)

He then proceeds to suggest finding the jailor.
Spoiler: C (click to show/hide)

Apparently he is suspicious of the player he cleared?
Spoiler: D (click to show/hide)

His reasons for voting NJW and suspicions on hector (initially) are this. Hector kinda sums it up...
Spoiler: E (click to show/hide)

Next he asks a few good questions, and a few crowdsourcing ones.
Spoiler: F (click to show/hide)
To me, the "crowdsourcing" ones (who feels most suspicious/town) - these are more helpful to scum, because the questions let them be lazy and go with someone else's reads, or get alerted beforehand to possible suspicion against them. Plus these "what does everyone think" questions are lazy.
To be fair, asking everyone for reads is totally normal. However, asking many questions and pretending it's scumhunting isn't.

Oh, what's this? Either a quick change of pace or... I don't even know.
Spoiler: G (click to show/hide)

So, uh. My thoughts on this post... (numbers - mine)
Spoiler: H (click to show/hide)
1. I was voting him from nearly right after he changed his claim twice. He apparently missed this.
2. I already commented on this: This tells me nearly nothing until you're actually dead. On the chance you're the real cop who messed up big-time, that confirms Shakerag as town (which is good, since he's good :P). If you're scum... there is thinking and looking to be done.
3. I believe the whole thing is either true or false, more likely false.
4. I'll get back in a second.
5, 6. Yes, because I have one personality (in contrast to our IC's here :D). This looks like yet another question that benefits scum more.
7. You, and probably someone ambivalent towards you. Why?
This whole mess you made D1 and the content you keep putting out basically muddies the waters, and if you're scum that greatly benefits your partner. Plus, (given you're mafia) you've ascertained that there is likely no cop (and/or that counterclaims will likely be lynched at this point, which gives you an extra night before being lynched) and that STILL gives little to no information on your partner. So the tactic would be:

Fakeclaim Cop -> Possibly lynch real cop (which almost happened - Roo could have well been a cop, given his semi-claim and such) -> Keep with the act, if it works. If it didn't, it would let your partner bus you to hell and possibly clutch (p.s. 4masked play described :P), though the chances of someone counterclaiming for real would be slim.

This obviously requires a fairly skilled partner to pull off, but... jeez. I dunno. Conspiracy theories are fun and all, but I really feel you're scum.
Q. E. D.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Oh look new posts.

You?  Your posts are very detailed and highly polished.  Now that could just be your style (goodness knows I preview my posts half a dozen times before submitting), but scum players will often be very careful about posting and making sure there's no little detail they've overlooked that could be a slip.  Town players are more likely to shitpost because they're not as worried about trying to hide something and they're more focused on getting content out there.
This. Although, I always read content before I post, mostly because
a) my own grammar errors make me sick;
b) getting lynched for something stupid is a stupid way to end your game.

Furthermore, while you've obviously spent a large amount of time compiling links and stuffing words into paragraphs like Paula Deen stuffs her face with sticks of butter, I can say that my (and quite possibly other players') eyes glaze over when presented with such a huge amount of info.  Brevity being the soul of wit and all, can you sum up your case on NJW2000 in a paragraph?
ಠ_ಠ

tl;dr:

ATH
a) changed several claims, including reasoning for actions;
b) creates content that is more likely to confuse than find any mafia OR is a "general question to all"-type, which is both low-effort and can help scum decide who to go after next;
c) has suggested and/or done several plans which would be bad ideas (not necessarily scummy, but eeeesh);
d) has few meaningful interactions with other players that we can really get any alignment information about;
e) maybe something else I forgot, give me a break. ._.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45