Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 115450 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #795 on: September 17, 2018, 07:18:27 pm »

Epilogue:

Storm stayed to the west, presumably after I yelled at the sky for a few minutes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

River now at 9' and dropping. Can actually get to the riverbank again, though everything has a half-inch layer of sludgy river mud coating it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 17, 2018, 08:09:21 pm »

New state record for rainfall for a tropical system: Morehead City recorded 25.77" of rain, beating the old record of 24.06" from Floyd.

Also, Wilmington is currently inaccessible from land. All relief personnel and supplies are being ferried in by helicopter or boat.

EDIT: Wilmington sets a new annual rainfall record, with 86.57" so far this year. With three an a half months still to go.

Can we leave Wilmington like that? We need somewhere to set a Snake Plisskin story, even if we're a little late and "Escape from Wilmington" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
Escape from the Carolinas.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 18, 2018, 06:31:16 pm »

Huh. Looks like some of the coal ash piles have, indeed, flooded. Fuck NC groundwater for however long, I guess. Also pigshit ponds have overflowed, there's like over a million missing chickens probably rotting in the water as we speak, etc., etc. Don't drink the water, yikes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:00 pm »

I wouldn't expect people to drink the water...but I hope the wild horses have a source of clean water.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 18, 2018, 11:24:46 pm »

I'd probably be putting more hope into hoping that wherever they die from drinking deathwater at, it's not somewhere their corpses will further contaminate the water :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 21, 2018, 10:53:01 am »

Double post, but heyo. Duke energy's confirmed one of their dams have breached. Coal ash "may" be flowing into cape fear river! That should be not very fun at all.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 21, 2018, 02:41:20 pm »

Sadly, this is still far from over.

Death toll is up to 42 now (31 in NC, 9 in SC, 2 in VA). I'm sure Trump will claim that there weren't 42 dead when he was there, so this is all fake news.

Environmental regulators in NC say that they don't know how bad the environmental damage from things like hog lagoons, sewer systems and coal ash getting added to the floodwaters, because it's too flooded to get in and get samples. And even if they do, their regional office in Fayetteville has a foot of water in it, and their other offices in the eastern part of the state have no power.

NC DOT announced today that portions of I-40 (the main east-west highway in the state) and I-95 (the main north-south highway on the East Coast that runs from Maine to Florida) will remain closed for weeks, as floodwaters continue to rise, and areas where it has receded have to be tested for structural integrity before they can be reopened. The current suggested detour for I-95 goes from Virginia to Tennessee to Georgia, completely bypassing the Carolinas and adding on about 600 miles.

Swiftwater rescues are still underway. 100+ people were rescued last night in Bladen County as the Cape Fear continues to rise. A few rivers like the Waccamaw River in SC are not projected to crest until next Tuesday.

Damage estimates for the entire region are coming in around $22 BILLION, and that number may continue to rise as authorities reach areas previously inaccessible. I think we can safely project that the name Florence will be retired.  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 21, 2018, 03:07:07 pm »

Theres certainly going to be a heck of a lot of environmental issues.

Anyhow, hurricane season isn't over yet, NOAA shows four disturbances in the Atlantic. One is just off the coast of Africa (the usual birthing grounds for hurricanes) and the note says it's showing signs of organization, another has been hanging out east of the Windward islands (10% development for both 48 hours and 5 days), theres one in the central Atlantic that I guess is just one they're keeping an eye on, and a fourth northeast of that which if it did become a cyclone, is most likely going in the wrong direction to threaten the US coast.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 21, 2018, 03:16:18 pm »

Anyhow, hurricane season isn't over yet, NOAA shows four disturbances in the Atlantic. One is just off the coast of Africa (the usual birthing grounds for hurricanes) and the note says it's showing signs of organization, another has been hanging out east of the Windward islands (10% development for both 48 hours and 5 days), theres one in the central Atlantic that I guess is just one they're keeping an eye on, and a fourth northeast of that which if it did become a cyclone, is most likely going in the wrong direction to threaten the US coast.
It's 2018. I wouldn't even be surprised if hurricanes starting spinning the opposite direction, just to hit the US.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 21, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »

This just in, Hurricanes have begun rotating on a horizontal axis, more at never, we out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 21, 2018, 03:27:14 pm »

If Invest 98L forms into anything, its gonna be making a bad problem worse.

But the chances are slim and the forecast is really far out
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 21, 2018, 03:31:31 pm »

It's 2018. I wouldn't even be surprised if hurricanes starting spinning the opposite direction, just to hit the US.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for it to angle southward and then boomerang back towards the US.

If Invest 98L forms into anything, its gonna be making a bad problem worse.

But the chances are slim and the forecast is really far out

I think that's the one which I interpreted as an area to watch as there aren't a whole lot of clouds at that area.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 21, 2018, 04:20:32 pm »

This just in, Hurricanes have begun rotating on a horizontal axis, more at never, we out.
That's kinda just a description of Hadley Cells on a large enough scale though, isn't it? On the local storm scale, if they didn't have an inward/upward/outward rotation then they wouldn't work as heat engines at all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 22, 2018, 11:01:59 am »

Looking more like 98L is going to either stay out at sea or just brush the eastern part of NC, NOAA still has 10% chance of formation in 48 hours and 30% for five days.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 24, 2018, 07:56:44 pm »

Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:00:32 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 75