Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 115448 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #765 on: September 15, 2018, 12:40:13 am »

Yeah, friend of mine said a 500 year old tree fell and caused the outage.  Really fits Hillsborough's "everything must be historical" vibe.
Durham had outages too but we've been fine here, so far.  Save for eating too many pickled jalapenos.
One is too many.
Boo to you. They are tasty.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 15, 2018, 01:09:20 am »

Not as tasty as fresh jalapenos. Last longer, I suppose?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 15, 2018, 09:55:53 am »

Like Idris Elba, I am cancelling the apocalypse. For me, at least.

River level is barely 2', a foot lower than it was before the storm got here (incidentally, the reason for the river's sudden pre-storm rise was that the town released some water out of the reservoir upstream in preparation. Also may explain the odd color.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 15, 2018, 10:22:08 am »

This is the worst overreaction since WRAL's black ice mania. Oh well, I got nearly a week off work because of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 15, 2018, 10:29:39 am »

They need to assume a forecasts on the higher end of the likely scale, otherwise one time they really will be caught out going "well, it probably won't be that big" then 3000 people die. No politician is going to get lynched for being too prepared the times the dice didn't come down that way.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:47 am »

No politician is going to get lynched for being too prepared the times the dice didn't come down that way.
Never been to New York City have you?

It's practically a tradition when it comes to snowstorms. Huge one is predicted, mayor reacts accordingly. Turns out to be a non-event. Than, second is predicted, usually a year or more later. Politicians keep the schools open and all that. Then, chaos. Inevitably we will hate their guts and complain about their many failures. It happened to Bloomberg, happened to de Blasio, it'll just keep happening.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 15, 2018, 10:49:49 am »

That still fits with what I said. They were hated for the one time they were unprepared, so it's best to consistently assume a big one. It's the inconsistency that did them in.

The times they prepared for a big storm that didn't turn out to be so big aren't actually very memorable, they're only memorable in connection to the big storms that actually did hit later. It's the old story of people remembering the hits and not the misses.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:51:28 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 15, 2018, 12:11:59 pm »

And it's worth remembering that this *is* apocalyptic in some areas down on the coast. New Bern is seeing unprecedented flooding, Wilmington set new wind and storm surge records.

It's just far better than expected in the Piedmont, because of that late left turn through South Carolina.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 15, 2018, 12:24:03 pm »

Storm is knocking down piers and such up and down the coast, it's just not nearly as bad inland as anyone thought.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 15, 2018, 01:16:22 pm »

Depends on what you mean by inland. Fayetteville just announced mandatory evacuations within a mile of the Cape Fear river, because it's projected to hit 27 feet above flood stage by Monday. Inland river flooding is going to be the next major problem, especially in the southern portions of the state.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 15, 2018, 02:50:19 pm »

They might need to consider making New New Bern after this
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 15, 2018, 02:55:45 pm »

Cape Fear was appropriately named though, based on the feed there yesterday.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 15, 2018, 06:01:58 pm »

That still fits with what I said. They were hated for the one time they were unprepared, so it's best to consistently assume a big one. It's the inconsistency that did them in.

The times they prepared for a big storm that didn't turn out to be so big aren't actually very memorable,
I dunno if I'd agree. If the mayor cancels classes for nothing, you hear legions of parents complaining about the costs of childcare, you get social media posts mocking the mayor for their ridiculous alarmist stance; if they did something like close subways (which de Blasio did) then they've caused massive disruption citywide for a day and earn even more ire...

It's not that the people remember only the hits and not the misses. It's that the Mayor remembers the misses and not the hits, and thus overcorrects. That's the same sort of process which hurt us so badly with Superstorm Sandy: people remembered the little hurricane that did nothing that was Hurricane Irene, so than when we got another one, they didn't take it as seriously and so didn't evacuate. Hence, the results which were both tragic and preventable... Yes its the big one that does the damage, but the damage wouldn't have been as bad if not for the false alarms.

"Newer Bern"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:46:37 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 15, 2018, 06:11:06 pm »

"Newer Bern"
[/quote]

"Near-Mint Bern"
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 15, 2018, 06:18:25 pm »

Feel Tburn
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 75