Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 115443 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #780 on: September 15, 2018, 06:22:36 pm »

Non-Refundable Bern

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 15, 2018, 06:34:45 pm »

That still fits with what I said. They were hated for the one time they were unprepared, so it's best to consistently assume a big one. It's the inconsistency that did them in.

The times they prepared for a big storm that didn't turn out to be so big aren't actually very memorable,
I dunno if I'd agree. If the mayor cancels classes for nothing, you hear legions of parents complaining about the costs of childcare, you get social media posts mocking the mayor for their ridiculous alarmist stance; if they did something like close subways (which de Blasio did) then they've caused massive disruption citywide for a day and earn even more ire...

It's not that the people remember only the hits and not the misses. It's that the Mayor remembers the misses and not the hits, and thus overcorrects. That's the same sort of process which hurt us so badly with Superstorm Sandy: people remembered the little hurricane that did nothing that was Hurricane Irene, so than when we got another one, they didn't take it as seriously and so didn't evacuate. Hence, the results which were both tragic and preventable... Yes its the big one that does the damage, but the damage wouldn't have been as bad if not for the false alarms.

To be fair, the New England area (or anywhere north of Virginia for that matter) doesn't get hit with hurricanes all that often, as shown here (note: HUGE image), so, theres less political memory of such events compared to typically prone areas.

Speaking of overcorrection, Gov. McMaster did something similar, but cancelled the ones that didn't need to be before the mandatory evacs came into effect.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:03:12 pm by smjjames »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 16, 2018, 04:42:56 am »

Central Georgia says: we're just staying inside. Not gonna hit us too hard, but we wish all the best to everyone in NC/SC! Stock up on bread and milk and campbells soup.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 16, 2018, 01:44:10 pm »

New state record for rainfall for a tropical system: Morehead City recorded 25.77" of rain, beating the old record of 24.06" from Floyd.

Also, Wilmington is currently inaccessible from land. All relief personnel and supplies are being ferried in by helicopter or boat.

EDIT: Wilmington sets a new annual rainfall record, with 86.57" so far this year. With three an a half months still to go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:56:35 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 16, 2018, 07:53:51 pm »

New state record for rainfall for a tropical system: Morehead City recorded 25.77" of rain, beating the old record of 24.06" from Floyd.

Also, Wilmington is currently inaccessible from land. All relief personnel and supplies are being ferried in by helicopter or boat.

EDIT: Wilmington sets a new annual rainfall record, with 86.57" so far this year. With three an a half months still to go.

Can we leave Wilmington like that? We need somewhere to set a Snake Plisskin story, even if we're a little late and "Escape from Wilmington" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 16, 2018, 08:37:30 pm »

I definitely could see your average Wilmingtonite becoming an eyeball collector.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 17, 2018, 10:25:33 am »

Morning Report from Fort RedKing: Apocalypse 2: Aquatic Boogaloo?

Eno River depth gauge: 9.76' (and rising quickly) -- flood stage is 16' in town, much closer to 10' or 11' here, 17.5'-18' to threaten the house.
Eno River flow rate: 1580 cu.ft./s (another way of visualizing this is to say 11,819 gallons of water per second).
Precipitation(total in 1 hour):   0"
2 hours:   0.26"
3 hours:   2.83"
6 hours:   4.16"
12 hours:   5.79"
24 hours:   6.44"
2 days:   7.16"
7 days:   9.13"

Waffle House: OPEN, but using bottled water

As you can see, we had sort of a delayed last slap from Florence, getting six and a half inches of rain in the last day, most of that since midnight. That's been enough to raise the river about 8.5 feet above normal. Remains to be seen where the crest will be, but the rain has stopped in the last couple of hours and based on the radar, we should be in the clear as far as additional rain.

We got real lucky in this part of the state, at the expense of South Carolina and SW North Carolina. Even so, the statewide death toll is up to 17, total storm death toll stands at 23 for the moment.

EDIT: Now at 11.59' depth, 1980 cu.ft./s. Rate of rise is a very steep line, no sign of levelling off right now.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:58:07 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 17, 2018, 11:28:46 am »

CNN says 20 deaths in the Carolinas, death numbers can understandably be a bit mixed while a disaster is ongoing. Also, I can't help but wonder if Trump is going to obsfuscate these numbers too. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 17, 2018, 12:06:39 pm »

He'll claim all 20 were Democratic crisis actors paid by George Soros and the 13 Angry Democrats to die, in order to make him look bad.

Tangentially, "George Soros and the 13 Angry Democrats" is the name of my Rolling Stones cover band.

EDIT: River at 13.28', 2360 cu.ft./s flow.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:09:29 pm by RedKing »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 17, 2018, 12:54:40 pm »

14.45', 2710 cu.ft./s

This thing continues to go up around a foot per hour. If it doesn't crest soon, I'm gonna have a real bad time in about 3-4 hours.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 17, 2018, 12:59:10 pm »

This just in: Stores in Richmond out of packaged water for like a week due to mild rainstorm.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 17, 2018, 02:04:55 pm »

14.86', 2890 cu.ft./s

Looks like it's beginning to slow down, may crest right around 15', which is fine with me.

EDIT: Thunderstorm to the west. Are you fucking kidding me??
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:32:54 pm by RedKing »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 17, 2018, 03:09:13 pm »

The epilogue chapter where the Dark Lord's second-in command, presumed dead, bursts onto the scene and stabs the hero's love interest while screaming for revenge.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 17, 2018, 03:34:25 pm »

This just in: Stores in Richmond out of packaged water for like a week due to mild rainstorm.
The epilogue chapter where the Dark Lord's second-in command, presumed dead, bursts onto the scene and stabs the hero's love interest while screaming for revenge.

5 tornadoes were sighted in my city just now. We're getting into "this was the evil lieutenant's plan all along" territory.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 17, 2018, 06:39:55 pm »

Translator's note: tornado means plan.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 75